Author Topic: The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd  (Read 6486 times)

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 04:29:13 AM »
You know, for years I thought Grayson did the voice-over on that Disney record (we wore it out something like 30 years ago, I swear). But I recently purchased a copy from eBay and gave it a listen. It doesn't sound at all like Grayson!  Are you sure your roommate received a letter from Disney veryifying that? I'm listening to it right now, and while the voice has the same timbre, the wordings and cadence are completely different. The actress doing this voice-over is someone I recognize from early Disney offerings, like "The Wonderful World of Color," his TV show from the early 60's.

I'm quite familiar with Grayson's speaking voice, having heard it multiple times on DS and in NOTI, not to mention Gargoyles, etc. If you have the Disney record, give it a lesson. I'm positive you'll know that isn't Grayson, and her involvement in the project is nothing more than an urban legend.

Rod

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 06:06:35 AM »
I'm quite familiar with Grayson's speaking voice, having heard it multiple times on DS and in NOTI, not to mention Gargoyles, etc. If you have the Disney record, give it a lesson. I'm positive you'll know that isn't Grayson, and her involvement in the project is nothing more than an urban legend.

Rod, I'm so glad to to see your post, because, I have to agree with you about the voice. I got a copy on eBay and the voice on the record does not sound anything like Grayson, even though the year is right. Everybody keeps telling me it IS her, but I just can't hear it.  I have been wondering if there is maybe more than one version out there. Maybe Disney actually produced more than one record, with different narrators.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 04:10:47 PM »
Well, just to add another layer to the puzzle, Grayson herself stated in at least one interview ca. 1970 that she *had* done this record.

It's possible that they recorded her for it, but then decided to use the other actress.  Who knows.  I wonder whether they have the original master tape in their vaults?

I can just persuade myself that it's her, particularly when she does the Chinese water torture thing... It just DOESN'T sound like her voice most of the time, though.

Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 06:02:26 PM »
On the Disney Haunted House record, it is indeed Grayson Hall BUT be warned there are at least two different versions of the album... The reissues have sequences and bits cut and rerecorded for it, most notably the Chinese Water Torture sequence...

If your Chinese Water Torture sequence can be considered offensive or at the very least, politically incorrect, than you have the original album with Grayson...

Not sure if the reissue has her at all, or if she may just be less of it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 06:05:55 PM »
Oh yes, mine is VERY politically incorrect... Grayson babbles in "Ching Chong" fake chinoiserie, then exclaims, "Wait a minute, I don't even SPEAK Chinese!"

One thought that just occurred to me today is that the recording of her voice may have been slightly speeded up, resulting in a vocal timbre that just doesn't sound much like GH.

I'd really love to have a copy of Disney's file on this.  Do you have any idea to whom I would write about that?

Steve

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 07:04:28 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, Darren. I have the politically correct version and I thought I was going crazy because I do NOT hear Grayson at all. Now I know why, so I'll have to look for the "other" one.  :)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 07:14:03 PM »
Steve,

Disney's archives and paper files are not available for examination in any public setting... Like most studios, if not worse, this is internal company files and they keep that stuff private and in-house, and grant examination to their other branches (Disney publishing, Disney DVD etc.) if they are producing a book or home video product that will be using some of the material. But again, this kind of material is private, not public information...

If you worked for the Disney Archive, you'd have access though...

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 07:32:15 PM »
I dunno...I just listened to the album and am not convinced it's Grayson. The Chinese Water torture sequence is there with the Chinese babble, and it doesn't sound at ALL like Grayson.  Even sped up. The first copy I had of this bit the dust in 1972, and we'd had it since approximately 68 or so. Even then, I never thought it was Grayson (and remember, this was during DS), though I did think the voice was SLIGHTLY similar. And only slightly!

One interesting tidbit--when I played the part where the cats fight, my Siamese began looking around and then shot out of the room!

Rod

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005, 11:07:21 PM »
Thanks, Darren, for clarifying that.  I had the feelling that what you said was the case.

It's good to know that someone did check, so now we know as certainly as we know anything... She did say in an interview that she had done it.  I have another interview where she talks about how Disney loved to come and hang out with her on the set, and told her his life story in stages... Seems as if she could charm just about anyone.

Apparently he asked to see a scene from Iguana and they ran the beach scene.  Dear Walt did not have a clue what was going on, but loved the way GH *emoted.*

btw, note to Jean-Claude--Grayson does have some dialogue in the film--not much, but a little. She only has 3, maybe 4 scenes in it.

G.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005, 11:24:33 PM »
" I wont make a break for it!"  Isn't that her main line. . promising not to run . . and "he wanted let out".. the cat (okay with my watch on his neck with HEL" scratched on the back. .but hey .. i always hate that this film doesn't show her being rescued! I mean the whole frickin' point of the film--well its really to see Hailey Mills--shouldn't they have had Grayson thanking Hail for being weird and supposing the watch came form the kidnapped bank lady?  Oh and I do think the bank robber gets a bit friendly rubbing her neck or am i just planting scenes now?

As to the water torture . .we have a film archivist and Grayson's biographer saying it is her . .so if there's gonna be further quibbling anymore..let's have some 'evidence' --
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2005, 11:46:37 PM »
" I wont make a break for it!" Isn't that her main line. . promising not to run . . and "he wanted let out".. the cat (okay with my watch on his neck with HEL" scratched on the back. .but hey .. i always hate that this film doesn't show her being rescued!

I dislike that too, J99...    ;)

As to the water torture . .we have a film archivist and Grayson's biographer saying it is her . .so if there's gonna be further quibbling anymore..let's have some 'evidence' --

This doesn't prove anything, but I, casually in passing, was browsing through my mom and dad's LP's today...quite an eclectic and well rounded collection if I do say so myself (LOL), and I happened to find this... this is copyrighted 1964... I just wanted to know if this the album people are referring to? {I hope it's okay to post this - scanned it at home; that's why the cover is cut off a bit - ;)}

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 12:49:10 AM »
That's the one!

She has some real howlers in this one, but the  line about the Chinese Water Torture takes the cake!  I honestly think only Grayson could have been that nutty to have actually said that!

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 01:27:12 AM »
The re-issue has a grey border instead of the orange one...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2005, 01:33:19 AM »
Here's a link to a site that has some clips from the album.

http://www.geocities.com/windpowerthesis/hhouse01.html

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2005, 06:14:39 AM »
That is indeed the album that's only turntable right now (yes, I have a turntable--I'm 52!). And as for "evidence," I can only go by my own ears, and sorry, but it doesn't sound like Grayson to me. And I honestly can't see how anyone can say it is once they've listened to it. Let's see some "evidence" where Grayson said she did the record! That would put an end to the discussion, eh, wot?

Rod