Author Topic: 1966 Season  (Read 12354 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Season
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2004, 07:29:54 PM »
you can even see bits of roger driving the car. ::)

ewww

;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2004, 11:31:57 PM »
Oh dear Lord! Bits of Roger driving the car. ;D
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2004, 04:55:30 PM »
speaking of Roger, does anyone know in what episode he finally loses that gawd awful frankenstein scar on his noggin from the bleeder valve wreck.....i am at episode 55 and he still has it......i could drive a golf cart thru that thing!!!! ::)
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2004, 03:15:15 AM »
silly-dillys....i didn't mean literal "bits" of roger driving the car but small shots of roger behind the wheel.btw, the exterior shots of the car driving down the road was also used when [spoiler]matthew morgan tried to run vicki down.[/spoiler]i guess film was expensive.[spoiler]but my all-time fave d.s. car crash is still the one where vicki and barnabas almost run peter bradford down and vicki becomes so "hystericle" she crashes the car.[/spoiler]it's cinematic genius. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2004, 03:37:39 AM »
Well, Burke, you don't have long to wait.  I just watched Episode #62 the other day - and Roger does NOT have the scar!!  I don't remember when it actually disappeared.  Sometime between Episodes 55 and 62. :D

8) ----- Sally -----  8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2004, 06:12:58 AM »
speaking of Roger, does anyone know in what episode he finally loses that gawd awful frankenstein scar on his noggin from the bleeder valve wreck.....i am at episode 55 and he still has it......i could drive a golf cart thru that thing!!!! ::)

Heh!  Did you notice that the scar moves up and down a bit from ep to ep and there's a time when it even gets bigger?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2004, 02:23:35 AM »
Speaking of Roger's wandering scar, did they have Botox back then?  :D 
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2004, 10:14:09 PM »
In my own crazy mind-----i realized that due to his laid back attitude regarding the bleeder valve/rogers accident, the mild mannered Constable Jonas had to clean out his desk to make way for Sheriff Patterson........wow i had forgotten how much clout the Collins had....but sure enough i remember a scene where Roger pretty much tells the Constable that in no uncertain terms he can be replaced..... :o and he was......

Regarding Dana Elcar as the gruff yet competant Sheriff Patterson......i read somewhere that he is blind from advanced diabetes......now there is a guy who has been in every kind of movie you could think.......i remember him as a mean FBI agent in that Redford/Newman film "The Sting" in 1973.  Come to think of it....he never seemed to age much through the years......i think he was only in his early 40's when he played Sheriff Patterson......anyway...i hope he finds peace in the twilight of his life :)
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2004, 11:05:58 AM »
Devlin:
I was just reading about Dana Elcar's blindness up on IMDB.COM.  It seems he went blind at a fairly young age (early 60's I think).  He was born in 1927.  I've just been reviewing some of his scenes with Roger, Sam and Burke. I had forgotten how funny and sharp some of the dialogue was between them.
All I can say is 'Thank You, Thank You' to DCP for having the mind to save these early episodes. They are wonderful to see again after all these years.  A real treat if you will in today's TV land of unviewable programming.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2004, 03:05:36 PM »
I tried to post yesterday and download a photo I have discovered that may have been of Mark Allen.  He was in How the West Was Won back in 1962 I believe.

All this discussion about 1966 pre-Barnabas has got me interested in viewing the old tapes again.  The more I see of Mark Allen, the more I think he was perfect as Sam Evans.  That fly-away, disheveled hair, the philosophical meanderings and trailing off of his conversations really evoked the image of a man who in addition to having plenty to hide, dealt with an almost overwhelming sense of despair. His desperation to protect himself was so apparent trying to deal with Burke and Roger. 
Don't know if anyone else has noticed but I don't think he wore a different set of clothes for all of his episodes than those he had in his original episode.  I do have an eye for detail and did notice that he even has a safety pin on his shirt where a button should have been. They were some great scenes between Burke & Sam & Roger. I liked David Ford but if I'd had my way, I would have kept Mark Allen in to play Sam. 

Here's the picture mentioned above, courtesy of Miss_Winthrop...(he's the guy in the background).

Nice detective work, Miss_Winthrop. Thanks. This is the only other picture of Mark Allen I've ever seen. What a great find!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Shadowsfan

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2004, 08:58:41 PM »
Can you imagine if Barnabas had encountered the Roger Collins of 1966 ?  Roger would have been suspicious of him and worried if he knew anything about the manslaughter case. He would have told  Liz  they needed no more strangers here at Collinswood including a distant cousin  LOL. Anyone else notice that they all seemed to believe in ghosts pre Barnabas but escpecially Roger became a cynic..he should have remembered the seaweed  left by the ghost of Malloy :)

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2004, 01:08:41 AM »
I agree the Roger Collins had far fewer things on his plate after Barnabas arrived.  Pre Barn was an ideal plot time for him, as he was always driven to the edge of the comfort zone by all the chaos that preceeded the opening of that box in the mausoleum. By the time Barn got there, Roger seemed to have most if not all of his skeletons out of his closet.  I am thankful for 1966 because it always had Roger in some kind entanglement.......chaos......and you could always count on him to pay his daily visit to the brandy bottle over the mantlepiece 8)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2004, 02:10:47 AM »
I am thankful for 1966 because it always had Roger in some kind entanglement.......chaos......and you could always count on him to pay his daily visit to the brandy bottle over the mantlepiece 8)

LOL!  Ain't that the truth (a little brandy-drinking smiley would be nice right here)...  ;D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2004, 02:31:07 AM »
i always thought that the roger/burke rivalry was wrapped up too hastily.it was just before the barnabas introduction and it seemed as if the writers knew the show was going in a new direction and wanted to tie that plot up quickly.it was sort of anti-climactic. :-
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2004, 04:27:22 AM »
I look forward to watching those episodes for the first time,mscbryk, when I get to them, that is!!  I'm still only on Episode #68. :D

Shadowsfan, Devlin, and Heather - I agree with your assessments about Roger.  His role got  much smaller when Barnabas came on the scene. ::)

---- Sally ----

8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]