Author Topic: 1966 Season  (Read 12367 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re:1966 Season
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 02:29:17 AM »
I love the first year of DS just as much as the years with Jonathan Frid -- maybe even a bit more.

All the storylines were good, IMO -- the only problem I had with the stories was the fact that I felt they focused on the Burke Devlin/Roger Collins storyline a bit too much in the first few months of the show. The Laura/Phoenix storyline is one of the best of the entire show.

The characterizations and acting are great. Elizabeth, Roger, Carolyn, David, Maggie, and Vicki (and just about everyone else) are at their best here. One thing I dislike about the later years is the fact that these characters were watered down by future writing regimes. I wouldn't have minded it so much if it were a gradual change as the characters evolved, but it seemed to happen very suddenly.

The pre-Barnabas episodes are much more character driven than the later ones. I also love how it explored the relationships between the characters -- for instance, Elizabeth/Carolyn, Carolyn/Roger, Roger/David, Elizabeth/Roger, Burke/Roger, Maggie/Sam, etc.

I like the fact that there was only a hint of the supernatural. One of the major problems I have with some of the later storylines (in particular, the period with Adam and the Leviathan storyline) was the fact that there seemed to be way too many supernatural creatures running around Collinsport.

it might of been search for tomorrow.....it was one that was on cbs opposite......wish grandma was still around, she could tell me.......anyone know what soap was on cbs opposite DS?......

When DS premiered in 1966, it aired against CBS' The Secret Storm at 4:00PM. When the show switched to the 3:30PM time slot in April 1967, it began airing against The Edge of Night on CBS. In July 1968, the show returned to 4:00PM. At the time, CBS was airing The Art Linkletter Show against it. Later, reruns of Gomer Pyle, USMC began airing in the slot in 1969.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 01:42:48 PM »
I watched the earliest episodes when they first aired, which was quite an accomplishment for a nine-year-old to do, especially considering that there really wasn't anything "spooky" for the first few months (other than the intimating about ghosts and such in true gothic fashion).  But the eerie music and the cobwebs had my interest going.  I didn't see every episode; our local affiliate originally aired it in the morning, at eleven o'clock, so it must've done the delayed broadcast thing until it eventually switched it to the regular afternoon airing.  The whole David-trying-to-snuff-his-old-man thing intrigued me.  I would "play" that story, using one of those old hotel-room key tabs which use to have the "Drop-In-Any-Mailbox" words engraved on them as the substitute for the thingamajobber that wicked David took out of his pop's car in order to make it crash.  I'd hide in the bushes, on top of the clothes-line stand, anywhere, and then have "Vicki" try to find it.  But, of course, I use to play Will Robinson, too; that must've been a real boring summer.

Gerard

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 01:46:34 PM »
I have only seen the pre Barnabas episodes once, it was the last time they aired on the Sci-Fi channel.

I have mixed feelings about the episodes.  IMO they were way too slow moving for my tastes.  I'll have to watch those episodes again.  Dark Shadows is the only Soap Opera that I've ever gotten into.  I have always believed that the show is more exciting when Barnabas is on.  I began watching the show in '68 at the age of 8.

As an adult I like more character driven shows and I especially enjoyed the dynamics between Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds in the early episodes.  I too believe the writers got carried away with ridiculous plots after Barnabas arrived that probably hurt it's  chances of becoming a longer running soap.  Dark Shadows, I believe had more children watching it than other soaps at the time and children do not have the attention spans of an adult and I'm sure the writers knew that.

I see a lot of you really liked the Phoenix storyline and I didn't at all.   I'll have to watch that one again.

Murph

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 05:02:48 PM »
The pre-Barns are my favorite, hands down. (With episode one being my all-time fave.) Liz, Roger, and Vicki and their interactions with the other characters are my favorite aspect of these earlier episodes. Of course along with every other good thing said about them in this thread.

I first saw these episodes about ten years ago on home video. I don't think I would have the same opinion (then, as I do now) had I seen them when they first aired. Back then I was more than happy with the show turned out.

The pre-Barns seem to be more about discovering and investigating secrets (that we weren't in on). And I realy like that aspect of it, along with the nostalgia of B&W which is a  large part of the appeal for me as well.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 06:13:09 PM »
regarding 1966- does anyone know what prompted the change in Sam Evans portrayal.......i sure liked the first actor.....he seemed more like the scared drunk.....but then david ford seemed more like a starving painter......so i guess we couldnt have the best of both worlds for too long.......lol........also i could never see nancy and david as a married couple.....could anyone else?---thanks to all for all the 1966 banter--------
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 10:06:38 PM »
I'm with you regarding the Sam Evans character. I liked David Ford a lot but Marc Allen was perfect as Sam Evans.  He was philosophical, kind of seedy looking and portrayed a man with too much fondness for drink.  His portrayal of a man with a dark secret seemed more realistic to me.

If I'm not mistaken David Ford was in his late 30's when he was married to Nancy Barrett who I believe was 25. I think maybe as much as 15 years difference.  Same as between my mom and dad.  I can see Nancy Barrett being attracted to an 'older' man.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 11:19:10 PM »
All the characters are more vibrant when set against a more subtle supernatural background.

I feel DS always worked best in this manner. Too many warewolf/frankenstein-like monsters spoil the brew.

Anyway, I have one pre-Barnabas tape and, unfortunately, got bored. Probably, if I gave it another shot and paid more attention I might get into it...but, my opinion JF, as Barnabas, made the show. Good casting, marvelous character fit, right time and place. JF is mega talented but also lucky in the role. The rest of the cast is golden like Louis E., Thayer D., most of 'em but for some reason, Jonathan Frid raised the emotional and atmospheric quality of DS to brilliance, and I guess many others felt that way too given the success of DS after he arrived.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 07:29:08 PM »
I can understand why they had to recast Matthew Morgan as they needed an actor to look menacing.  But does anyone know why they replaced Mark Allen with David Ford?

They actually shot live footage with both actors as Sam Evans.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 11:14:50 PM »
dom, i'm with you on ep.1 being my fave.i like early barnabas and i love julia but the pre-barns are kind of my favorites.it's funny that they filmed live footage with both actors who portrayed sam evans.it seems like alot of expense for a relatively minor character.i prefer david ford over the other actor and a personal favorite is a scene he has with diana millay during the laura story.she is such a menace!i met her at the fest last year and bought her silly book about halloween,she's too much!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2004, 11:12:42 AM »
hey gang......does anyone recall the 1st season gaff where mitch ryan as burke goes blank on one of his lines and just tells another one of the characters to take it from there......as he walks off the set.......i think it is at the cannery and some character named amos is left to recite ryans line........i am going over the vhs versions from mpi, and i cant seem to locate it.......any help would be appreciated.......btw.....vid caps and wav files from season one are posted on yahoo groups/ds......for all to share
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2004, 12:13:42 PM »
hey gang......does anyone recall the 1st season gaff where mitch ryan as burke goes blank on one of his lines and just tells another one of the characters to take it from there......as he walks off the set.......i think it is at the cannery and some character named amos is left to recite ryans line........i am going over the vhs versions from mpi, and i cant seem to locate it.......any help would be appreciated.......btw.....vid caps and wav files from season one are posted on yahoo groups/ds......for all to share

Was that the scene with Dolph Sweet, the guy from Gimmee A Break?

Gerard

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2004, 05:40:41 PM »
I liked David Ford a lot but Marc Allen was perfect as Sam Evans

Being a painter myself, and Maine born (Presque-Ise) and having gone one year to the Portland School of Art, I always related to Sam Evans and Maggie because I knew what it was like to live in a run-down (albeit probably very expensive ocean-front shack) anyhow, as a semi-starving artist in Maine. I never saw the original Sam but David Ford was real cool in the role. I love his dangling cigarette and hanging out at the local pub (very artist painter like). I especially appreciate his performances in comparison to what I felt, were very bad and lazy performances as Josette's father. His eyes were mostly glued to the teleprompt. I read somewhere he had problems remembering his lines and no-where is that more apparent.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2004, 11:07:28 PM »
I especially appreciate his performances in comparison to what I felt, were very bad and lazy performances as Josette's father. His eyes were mostly glued to the teleprompt. I read somewhere he had problems remembering his lines and no-where is that more apparent.

Thats probably why they wrote Andre out of 1795 after only one month.

It appeared that David Ford had left DS at that point.  I was surprised to see his return in 1968 a few months later as Sam Evans.  Perhaps it would have been better to recast him again.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 01:09:16 AM »
i actually felt sorry for him after being struck blind for not giving angelique the painting......at least when he was squinting at the prompt.......and declaring he was blind.........it looked real.....lol

r.i.p.  david ford

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 04:19:55 AM »
andre dupre's just vanished from 1795.he didn't even return for josette's funeral.it's strange he would leave collinsport at a time when his daughter was in great distress.in general they did odd things with some of the characters on the show.it must have been frustrating for contracted players to sit around and wait to see when they'de be used.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.