Author Topic: 1966 Season  (Read 12346 times)

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
1966 Season
« on: May 21, 2004, 06:43:34 AM »
I am watching the first season of DS on VHS and would welcome any posters who would like to dialogue or comment on the storyline.  I have some vivid recollections of watching this as an 11 year old in 1966, but as time has passed i have changed some of my opinions on certain characters----i have just concluded episode 30- airdate aug 5-1966.  Hope to hear from someone that thinks pre barnabas is kewl too!
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:1966 Season
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 07:45:21 AM »
When I first saw the pre-Barnabas episodes after watching the last four years of the show, I must admit that I wasn't too impressed.  I felt that the plot dragged on and the dialogue was very repetitive and dull; the characters constantly repeated previous conversations and rehased old problems, evidently for the benefit of someone in the audience who was tuning in for the first time.  It wasn't quite as exciting as the suspense-charged, supernaturally-based episodes that I was used to seeing, but it was interesting to see how DS had all begun and to see the characters taking shape and asserting themselves.  Collinsport really was a seemingly average, casual, close little town before Barnabas arrived.  A lot of that everyday flavor was lost in later years.

Lately I've been watching the old episodes again in concert with fans on another message board, and I have to say that I am enjoying them much more than I originally did.  Now I can't remember why I thought they were so boring.  Mostly, I enjoy the character development and the fact that people like Liz, Roger, and Vicki are such prominent figures when in later years, they were pushed to the backburner.  It's a lot of fun to look back after watching the entire series and see how much the characters changed.  Carolyn is one such character who really grew up.  All the characters are more vibrant when set against a more subtle supernatural background.

In particular, I am amazed at the range and the quality of work bestowed on David Henesy.  As the supernatural became the focus of the series, David--like Vicki--was relegated to the status of perpetual victim: always possessed, never believed.  With the exception of his turn as Count Petofi in 1897, the poor kid didn't have much to do except pouting and fretting.  But in 1966...man!  If his character wasn't a total psychopath, little David defintely qualified for conduct disorder.  I was amazed not only at how believable and how breathtaking Henesy was in the role, but also at the extent to which daytime writers in 1966 were taking his character.  Here was a child who wanted to murder his father and nearly everyone else around him.  At one point, he even aims a toy gun at the camera (and the viewing audience).  However, he had his gentle side too; I particularly loved the warm relationship between Burke and David in those early days.  (And I agree with you, Devlin: Mitchell Ryan was the better Burke Devlin.)  The chemistry between Henesy and Anthony George was not at all the same as it was between him and Ryan.

If you're watching episode 30 now, then you haven't seen Laura Collins yet.  Her story line is probably my favorite.  The original Phoenix plot was wonderfully atmospheric, mysterious, but with just the right blend of mundane domestic discord thrown in for balance.

On the whole, the pre-Barnabas episodes are fun, although they represent quite a different animal from the DS that most of us know.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 05:15:59 PM »
I absolutely adore 1966.  I love the really early months when Burke will stop at nothing to get back at the Collins family and Vicki is shrewd enough to question even Liz's motives (they get some wonderful scenes together, some of which are still ahead of you).  I love the 1966 Roger--Edmonds brought some wonderfully subtle shadings to the unfolding of Roger's depravity, and as Prof Stokes wrote, David is simply extraordinary to watch.  Some of this stuff is up there with the best of Twilight Zone in terms of storytelling that 's focused on some of the more unpleasant quirks of human emotional neurosis.

My favorite scenes of all are the big showdowns between Liz and Burke.  I thought Bennett did an amazing job with those scenes.  Sheer regal authority.

The Liz/Roger scenes are sheer delicious fun.  It's a lot of fun watching these two being so icy and disdainful and sometimes struggling to out-manipulate one another.  Of course, Liz almost invariably wins, but the outcome always has this edge to it.

It's almost unbelievable that somebody held onto the complete set of master tapes for these months, given that they seem never to have been considered for WorldVision syndication until Sci Fi's initial airing ca. 1992.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 05:27:08 PM »
ProfStokes said it best for me.

I remember a few years ago when pre-Barn was on; it seemed to drag.

But...I love the atmosphere; Carolyn's spoiled brat is great (especially in connection with her dynamic range).

Perhaps TPTB could've tapped more into the Collinsport workers within subsequent stories.

And, like most everyone on these boards.....Maggie... Pre-victimized/pre-Josette wannabe...gum cracking, wise-cracking Maaaaaggggiiieeeee :-*

Devlin, I don't know if you've ever seen the upcoming Phoenix story, but, it's phenomenal.

Welcome :)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:46:43 PM »
I like the way they incorporate live footage into the episodes.

It really has a "Maine" feel to it in these episodes.

DS should have held on to some "reality" to it in the post 1795 episodes.

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 10:19:47 PM »
Hi all, first time poster here.

I have only seen a few of the pre-Barnabas shows.  I agree with those who said they were very atmospheric.  They also seem to be more typically soap opera, since they weren't so focused on the supernatural.  But unlike most soap operas, which seem to be plot driven, the shows I saw were character driven.

Hopefully, somebody other than the Sci-Fi channel will re-broadcast these episodes.  Or maybe they will eventually come out on DVD.  I for one would really like to see all of them.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 01:21:34 AM »
hey gang....its great to see the feedback on 1966---the one character who i had changed my views on since i watched it originally way back as an 11 year old in 1966 was David....since he was so young like me back then, I always thought he was an innocent victim of Rogers hatred ( at this point i have my doubts that roger is his real dad)...but watching it 37 years later as an old man of 48 i feel like roger or vik should turn the little rascal over their knee and give him a good spanking......so its interesting to me taking both my kids eye view from when i saw this episode way back when and to now........
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 01:27:11 AM »
i absolutely love the 1966 episodes!they're some of my favorites.carolyn is so petulant,liz is so grand,david such a menace(remember him writing "death" on vicki's mirror),maggie such a wisecracking waitress,burke such vengeful bad-ass,vicki so sassy and inquisitive.it had a sleepy "twin peaks" quality,a small town full of secrets.the laura collins story is the best!i like that it's just one supernatural character up against normal human beings.that's what made the early barnabas eps. so good too.when it becomes a show with an endless line-up of monsters it loses most of it's charm.i wish post 1795 the show retained some of these real qualities too.it seems like the producers felt they needed to keep upping the ante to keep viewers interested,but that was a short-sited plan because the show became ridiculous and viewers lost interest.if the show stayed a bit more reality-based it might have lasted longer:some soap operas have been on for 40 years. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 01:32:33 AM »
Fortunately for me I saw the pre-Barnabas Dark Shadows episodes first.  Very few parts of it were dull for me.

I loved the whole Phoenix storyline!  The acting throughout was top notch.  I thought the interaction between Burke, Roger, Laura & Liz was excellent.

Words just can't convey the magnificent job that David Henesey did as the 'little monster' practically driving Vicki bonkers and Roger over the edge. Even the Paul Malloy build up to Laura the Phoenix storyline was good IMO.

As you say, thank god that someone saved the master tapes for these episodes!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »
from mscbryk
When it becomes a show with an endless line-up of monsters it loses much of its' charm.
IMO the writers went overboard with this aspect of the show. I am a fan of the early episodes with its' gothic/mystery tone. Vicky's search for her past, Bill Malloy's murder, the Phoenix and Barnabas' arrival are great storylines. I watch some of these eps over and over. I agree that these shows were more like a typical soap opera and were more slow-moving.[/color][coolg]
MM

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »
the scene where david and ms. winters are fighting over the bleeder valve.......grab---swat-----push-----great!!!!. I was howling for ms. winters to reach over and whack that little monster......a far cry from when i last saw that episode back in 66---i was rooting for david to knock vik on her dumper........kids rooting for kids back then..lol it was great being 11 and watching that show over my grandmothers objection cause she wanted to see edge of night...ha ha ha

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2004, 10:39:14 PM »
Wasn't Edge of Night on after DS?

(Both on ABC.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2004, 10:42:54 PM »
this topic got me thinking about 1966 d.s..it seems like a show that wasn't allowed to come into fruition.the mystery of victoria's birth.why elizabeth hired her.elizabeth's own secrets.burke's vendetta with the collins family.the carolyn/joe/maggie triangle.burke and vicki's romance.all of these plots were either hastily wrapped-up or abandoned entirely when barnabas arrived.he was supposed to be quickly killed-off but ended up stealing the show and it evolved into something else entirely.but even without barnabas,the early eps. had to have been more interesting than most daytime t.v. c.66/67.does anyone think that the show could have been good if allowed to continue on it's original path,and the vampire show it eventually became been a seperate show altogether? :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2004, 11:59:16 PM »
it might of been search for tomorrow.....it was one that was on cbs opposite......wish grandma was still around, she could tell me.......anyone know what soap was on cbs opposite DS?......

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2004, 12:07:56 AM »
yes mscbryk, u make a valid point......after all these years i have drawn many scenario conclusions about many of the plot twists that were suddenly dropped or written out when barnabas appeared.  heres my resolution on a few of the hangers.......david was the illegitimate child of burke and laura-------vik was a product of Liz-and somebody......maybe even jason-------haskell had his fill of both carolines tantrums and maggies being kidnapped etc....i do think the barnabas period on could of been a separate plate.....all together the show outclassed anything else being shown at the time with or without barnabas..........