Author Topic: Sad Scenes  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Sad Scenes
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 02:52:37 PM »
In PT1970, Carolyn Loomis mourning the death of her husband, Will.  They were my favorite characters in that storyline with the tension between them, and I wish we had seen more of them (but some gull-darn movie-makin' got in the way).  They viewed themselves - and each other - as once great successes who turned into failures, blaming and chiding each other.  And yet one could see that they needed each other and - despite the aggression between them - that they truly loved each other because they saw no one else in their lives who cared for them.  They were both lost souls, but at least they were lost together and thus not alone.  So when Will died, Carolyn had nothing left.  During the scene in which Barnabas tries to console her - and the only consolation she can find is out of a bottle - it's hearbreaking.  Just the way she said with defeated abandoned:  "Will is dead," demonstrated how she felt her life was now futile and of no more worth or value.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 04:38:41 PM »
For me, watching Willie Loomis plead with Barnabas and Julia to take him 'home" to the old house from Windcliffe is the saddest scene in the series.

Also the one most likely to send my blood pressure into the stratosphere.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 12:46:01 AM »
I caught a sad scene the other day from the "werewolf" storyline - Chris Jennings tells a hurt and confused Carolyn he is leaving Collinsport (they're outside on the terrace). They admit their love for one another - Chris citing his love for her as the reason he has to go. Well played by Briscoe & Barrett.
I also dig Briscoe in his first scene w/ Denise NIckerson, as kid sister Amy (holed up at Wyndecliff) - when her tears cause him (as Chris) to realize must stay in town for her sake.
And a final Briscoe tear jerker from "1897," when Tim Shaw comforts his dying friend, governess Rachel (KLS) at the Old House (FYI: great "buns" shot of Don in that scene - have your slow motion button ready).
Finally, Grayson Hall as Magda, mourning her murdered Sandor, always gets the tissues popping in this house.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 05:44:01 AM »
 :'( OMG! I almost forgot that Part in "Return to Collinwood"  where we learn the truth about Vickie. What a scene! If possible, you could have heard a pin drop. Yes, NB was outstanding!
                                                                       Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 11:48:33 PM »
For understated emotion, I think one of the finest moments in the series is the scene between Joshua and Naomi the morning after Sarah dies.  Joan and Louis played that scene so beautifully.  Never fails to bring a lump to the old throat.

Another scene that always gets me reaching for the kleenex is Julia's brief speech about learning to live without love when she and Barnabas find themselves back in the Parallel Time room in 1995.  Again, very understated work from Grayson.

I think another scene between Grayson and Karlen (who always played off one another really well) that has this quality to it is the scene where Willie begs Julia to persuade Barnabas against using Maggie for the new Experiment.  In that line where Julia says "You forget, Willie--I stood and watched Barnabas lie on that table," she conveys in one searing moment all the emotional agony Julia has gone through over the preceding summer.  Love it.    I think the episode with this scene in it may have been featured in a recent montage.

G.

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2004, 04:50:04 PM »
Another sad scene for me is when the family has to abandon the house because Quentin has stirred up so much trouble.  Right before they leave, Roger returns from a business trip and is rather pompous and insufferable about the claims that Collinwood is haunted, but after he encounters Quentin he is like a broken man, and Liz comforts him as she leads him from the house.  That scene with Liz almost holding Roger in her arms is very sad and touching and makes me think that big sister had to frequently be a support for her little brother.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2004, 04:46:15 AM »
Another very Sad scene was when Beth went to beg Magda to remove her curse from Quentin, she refused with a grin saying how Quentin deserves his curse... although when Magda explains should Quentin have son's they also will carry the curse, Beth tells Magda she had cursed her own kin! When at last Magda believes this to be true her sorrow is so deeply felt she begs Jenny's forgiveness... expressing "I did not know!"
I felt so sorry for that gypsy.   :'(

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2004, 09:34:23 AM »
Another sad one for me was when Angelique told Beth about her engagement to Quentin!  Poor Beth had tried so hard to refuse him and then when she does finally give in, this has to happen to her.  I also thought her death very sad too.  She definetely didn't deserve all this.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2004, 05:12:07 AM »
Another sad one for me was when Angelique told Beth about her engagement to Quentin!  Poor Beth had tried so hard to refuse him and then when she does finally give in, this has to happen to her.  I also thought her death very sad too.  She definetely didn't deserve all this.

Well, if you're going to mention that one - how about when 1840 Roxanne is introduced to Valerie as his wife!!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2004, 10:06:52 AM »
If I'm remembering correctly, Joe and Maggie are at the Blue Whale and basically agree that their relationship is over -that's a pretty sad scene.

Yes, I totally agree Julian! I had forgotten all about the break-up between Maggie & Joe when Angelique ruined their relationship.  I thought they had such a good relationship between them and were considered the "all American couple" on the show.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2004, 03:55:42 PM »
Back in the day (when I was clueless) the moment that made me saddest was when Barnabas opened the door...
[spoiler]...that Aristede had rigged up to shoot Julia, and Julia was shot dead.[/spoiler] At first I was in shock, then the saddness immediately settled in. I called an older friend who knew the score on DS and they informed me that I need not worry. I couldn't imagine (or believe) that she wasn't really dead. Silly me, lol.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2004, 04:08:08 PM »
.....I called an older friend who knew the score on DS and they informed me that I need not worry. I couldn't imagine (or believe) that she wasn't really dead. Silly me, lol.

But even if she had been.....a week later she'd have shown up again as a ghost/reincarnation/evil twin sister/time traveler......the possibilities were endless......[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2004, 04:59:56 PM »
No kidding.  ::)

Loved it as a kid, now-a-days I find it slightly annoying and uncreative.

dom (riding the slippery downhill slope and jaded with age [lol2])

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2004, 07:55:56 PM »
One of the saddest for me is when Barnabas and Joshua have agreed that Josua is to stake Barnabas in his coffin the next day.  In the scene Barnabas asks his father to release Ben because he has been so good and so faithful to him and if I remember correctly, Joshua agrees to the request.

I found the above scene to be the best between Jonathan and Louis who were great friends off the set and who had good on screen chemistry.

Murph

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2004, 11:10:32 AM »
No kidding.  ::)
Loved it as a kid, now-a-days I find it slightly annoying and uncreative.

Yeah, especially when Ned Stuart showed up! ::)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"