Author Topic: Sad Scenes  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Sad Scenes
« on: March 07, 2004, 10:06:19 AM »
Since Julian's topic of "Humor on DS" came up with so many good replies (and good memories!) I thought I'd start a topic that's the opposite of that one and see how many sad or emotional scenes (or dialog) that we can come up with.

One of the saddest scenes that I can recall is when Barnabas' sister Sarah died in his arms.  That one was a real tearjerker if I ever saw one.  :'( To hear little Sarah say to her brother right before she died, "I love you Barnabas, I always will" was just so heartwrenching.  And the look on Barnabas' face was so sorrowful.
Can anyone else think of more heart tuggers on DS?

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re:Sad Scenes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 03:46:37 PM »
No one can say that that wasn't heartwrecking Cassandra, but you know the one that always gets me?  It's the one where Angelique gets shot.  Barnabas holds her in his arms and FINALLY announces to everbody, that yes, he does love her.   [bawl]

But she can't hear him because she's dead. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 05:22:30 PM »
Another good topic Cassandra! iam sure there will be alot of replies on this one...

episode #409- when Barnabas dies. always gets me choked up when Joshua comes down stairs and tells Naomi that Barnabas is gone.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 07:08:27 PM »
I always felt sad for Angelique when Skye treats her like a nothing :'(

She realizes that she thought she had true love, but, alas, no way Jose.

Also, Carolyn loses her Father and husband within a couple of months; that's alot :'(

It's also very sad when Judith realizes Trask never loved her/never visited her when she was sick.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 08:23:36 PM »
My answers are always limited to early DS and 1795 (never saw other parts but am ordering some 1871 tapes)

With that said I find most of DS to be REALLY sad but I haven't always been touched in an emotional way with much of it (that's another topic and in no way implies I'm not a big fan) ...two scenes that I found the most affecting were...

1) great scenes between Maggie and her father (they had terrific father/daughter chemistry) when Maggie was being slowly turned into a vampire and couldn't get out of bed and to work at the coffee shop. KLS successfully conveyed Maggie as a simple, honest and hard-working girl/waitress in serious trouble. David Ford (is that his name?) was also superb as her bewildered artist father struggling for a living and temporarily employed by the very "thing" that was killing his daughter. I loved their spats, quarrels obviously originating from stress, concern and affection for each other, quite realisitc for a Father and Daughter relationship. I feel this series of events was affecting as it wove fantasy and horror within a fairly realistic framework and showed how normal everyday people might actually react to them. It could have come from a Stephen King novel.
2) Sarah's death. You really felt the implications of what Angelique had done in that scene.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 09:25:50 PM »
Although Sarah's death was tragic, I was more affected by watching Naomi grieve.  Hearing the poor woman break the news of their daughter's death to Joshua, using the metaphor of a bird that flew away, and then listening to her in the mausoleum ("I begged you to bury them in the earth. Their whole lives were stone; now it will be stone for eternity.") is so wrenching.  :'(

Another sad scene that stands out for me is when Magda tells Quentin that his son, whom he never even knew existed, has just died.  A brash and volatile cad up to this point, Quentin looks stunned and quietly murmurs, "My son is dead...my son is dead."  It's really the first time he shows an emotion.

The 1995 sequence and the interractions among Mrs. Johnson, Carolyn, and Quentin are also all very sad.

ProfStokes

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 01:39:16 AM »
All the scenes mentioned earlier were quite sad.  But the one i guess that gets me is the Barnabas and Vicki car crash, Vicki is injured, Barnabas near death, and Jeff Clark survives without a scratch  :'(  which in turn, because of that, we are introduced to Dr. Lang :'(
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 05:13:24 AM »
My favorite sad scene is when Barnabas finally sees the ghost of Sarah. Every time I've seen that storyline, you wait and wait and keep thinking it will finally happen, and when it does it's just so sad! Other favorites that aren't necessarily sad so much as just emotional are when Barnabas tells Vicki and Carolyn the story of Josette. It's one of my favorite episodes--the expressions on his face as he tells the story with his back to them, Carolyn's comment afterwards about how Barnaba's "familiarity with the family history is a little to vivid for her", the writing is incredible! I also love when Liz finally confesses to Vicki that she killed Paul Stoddard (or so she thought)--the first time I saw it I almost couldn't believe she finally said it!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 06:08:21 AM »
 :'(  [cryb]  :'(

I wanted to avoid this topic.  Too depressing.  [bawling2]
BUT, to no avail.
A scene I found terribly sad was during the destruction of Collinwood after Quentin had tried to save the children, then finds them dead, and then Daphne dies in his arms.

Signed.
Heading for the tissue box   :'(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 10:17:52 AM »
Another scene I thought up was when Julia & Barnabas murdered Dr Woodard in his office. (although I didn't particulary care for the third Dr Woodard)  You could see how hard this must have been for Julia, especially since her and the doctor had been good friends long before Barnabas came into the picture.

I also thought it was sad how Barnabas treated Julia during alot of the early scenes they had together. One scene in particular comes to mind.  When Barnabas was trying to drive Julia insane by doing that voodoo black magic thing to her that made her think that Dr.Woodard's ghost was haunting her.   When Julia finally confronted Barnabas about this and how she was going to expose him (with her diary) he suddenly started turning the charms on to her, calling her Julia instead of Doctor (which she loved) then telling her how much he needs her & lastly, kissing her hand.    Julia was looking up at him like a teenager in love and it was heartbreaking to see him making a fool out of her this way.  Carolyn (who was under his power) had been hiding out in a nearby room and heard the whole thing and later told Barnabas just how cruel he was to do that!   And then replied, "Barnabas, she loves you so much!"

1795 - When Naomi drinks the poison and then dies in Barnabas' arms.  I always felt so sorry for that poor woman and to think she had to die like that.

1967 - When Willie gets shot down by the sherrif's men after trying to warn Maggie about Barnabas, and then having to take the rap for the whole thing!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 10:12:50 PM »
If I'm remembering correctly, Joe and Maggie are at the Blue Whale and basically agree that their relationship is over -that's a pretty sad scene.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 11:38:16 PM »
 :'( By far the deaths of Sarah and Angelique were the saddest to me. However, I felt so sorry for Adam when Carolyn rejected him. He was so innocent and childlike, it struck me as almost as tragic as a child losing a parent. I wasn't especially fond of this storyline, but I did feel great sadness for Adam.
                                           Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 11:53:13 PM »
I agree with Misty about Adam. I've only seen the end of the Adam storyline once before, and am currently watching it from the beginning on the DVDs. I admit I'm a sucker for the Frankenstein story, but I feel really sorry for Adam, and find many of his scenes sad. I know his character changes later on though. I thought the death of Sam Evans was sad too, both for Maggie and for Joe too, as he and Sam had a nice bond.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 03:24:25 AM »
A couple of times during the early part of the series Vicky gives accounts of life in the foundling home. She was lonely, didn't know her true birthdate.  An attendant played a cruel trick on her, telling her  that her parents were coming for her. She waited and they never came. :'(
     There is a scene with Elizabeth sitting in the dark in the drawing room banging on the piano. The mood there is very sad and depressing.
:(
MM

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 06:42:06 AM »
Prof Stokes and Cassandra picked a few of the scenes i would've listed.  I also think the scene where Magda learns about Jennie's children is very affecting .. .Grayson actually cried. . not glycerine or onion tears but real ones. . .good scene between her and Terry Crawford.

Ohh and for those of us at the Fest . ..when Carolyn reads Liz's will and realizes the truth about Vicki. . i think that got to a lot of us. . .Nancy Barrett was just amazing. . .
Julia99