Author Topic: Goodbye Nickerson! Hello Sturdivant!  (Read 1359 times)

ClaudeNorth

Goodbye Nickerson! Hello Sturdivant!
« on: August 04, 2003, 09:01:33 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, today's second episode was Denise Nickerson's final appearance on DS.  Such a shame to see her go, especially when one considers her "replacement," who I like to call "Napa Valley" because she is a major producer of "whine."

On a happier note, this week marks the debut of dark, brooding, hunky Claude North, as played by the dark, brooding, hunky Brian Sturdivant.  As you might recall, Brian played a hunky bellboy in the penultimate Amanda/Olivia episode.

I know the Sturdivant cult is small, but I'm sure there is at least one other Cousin out there who shares my enthusiasm for his arrival... ;)

Regards,

John

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Goodbye Nickerson! Hello Sturdivant!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 02:12:30 AM »
her "replacement," who I like to call "Napa Valley" because she is a major producer of "whine."

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

John, if I didn't feel 'cheesy' cursing or curing you, I'd cure you

Good one!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 09:10:48 AM »
especially when one considers her "replacement," who I like to call "Napa Valley" because she is a major producer of "whine."

ROTFL!!! [clap] [clap] [clap]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 04:55:14 PM »
Hi John, yes, I share your craving for the feral blandishments of Claude North!  I really wish more had been done with the character.  Given the dialogue regarding Claude's past that was given to Tim Stokes, it seems as if the original plan was to have Claude be a major player in the next phase of the PT 1970 storyline.  I wonder what happened?

Someday, I'll rent Diary of a Mad Housewife just to have a glimpse of luscious Brian Sturdivant in his prime at that party.

Hmmm... wonder whether Brian ever did any Colt magazine layouts???

G.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 08:26:34 PM »
Although I'm not able to watch the episodes daily like I did previously I am able to catch a few minutes live and the episodes that are airing now are the ones that were airing when I discovered DS again after 30 years the last time Sci-Fi aired them.

I too am sorry to see Denise depart the series because IMO I believe she had the best chemistry with David Henesy of all the other young actresses who played in the series.  I believe with Denise on screen, David did his best acting of the series.  I've read where they were friends off camera and I believe it translates to the screen.

I know she left the series to play the role of the "blueberry" girl in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

She is about 6 months older than I am so I had a slight crush on her back then.  I was in LOVE with Lara Parker and Kate Jackson (as much as a 10-11 year old can be in love) but I also had a crush on Denise.

Kate should be showing up pretty soon on the series........

Murph

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 05:57:43 AM »
Anyone know what ever became of Brian Sturdivant? Doesn't seem that he did much acting on stage or tv past the early 70s

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 01:20:28 AM »
I really wish more had been done with the character.  Given the dialogue regarding Claude's past that was given to Tim Stokes, it seems as if the original plan was to have Claude be a major player in the next phase of the PT 1970 storyline.  I wonder what happened?

I've wondered that too. There seemed to be quite a build-up to his introduction and then he's dispensed with quite suddenly. I imagine it's one of two things:

1. They suddenly decided to abruptly end the PT storyline and pulled the plug on the whole Claude North thing shortly after it had begun. I remember reading something to this effect in the DS Tribute book; the ratings were down, and DC and the writers pulled an all-night brainstorming session trying to decide what to do next, resulting in the 1840 storyline.

2. Dan Curtis decided he didn't care for Brian Sturdivant after seeing him in a couple of episodes. He does have a rather strange affectation (I giggle to hear him say "Rawwwwwww-xooonnnnnnnnnn"). Given that Sturdivant does not return as any other character for the duration of the series, this is quite possible (he would have made an excellent Gerard, I think).

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 01:26:05 AM »
.... Given that Sturdivant does not return as any other character for the duration of the series, this is quite possible (he would have made an excellent Gerard, I think).

I was thinking today after I watched the last of Claude of the similarity between them. It might of been interesting to see them play off one another.
LdyAnne

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 03:30:56 AM »
They suddenly decided to abruptly end the PT storyline and pulled the plug on the whole Claude North thing shortly after it had begun. I remember reading something to this effect in the DS Tribute book; the ratings were down, and DC and the writers pulled an all-night brainstorming session trying to decide what to do next, resulting in the 1840 storyline.

One shouldn't necessarily believe everything it says in that book. It contains all sorts or errors and misstatements. ::)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 10:29:53 PM »
(he would have made an excellent Gerard, I think).

You know you're right. in a way he does kind of remind me of Gerard. Maybe they could have even played brothers on the show. Could you see that? Two evil brothers in Collinwood!  And both good looking too! ;)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"