Author Topic: Re:There's a KITCHEN in that house!!!!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:There's a KITCHEN in that house!!!!
« on: August 02, 2003, 09:26:08 PM »
Speaking of kitchens....was there ever a single shot of the kitchen at Collinwood on the show?

Funny you should ask that because very shortly we'll be seeing what could possibly be the kitchen in PT Collinwood:

And in RT we saw the kitchen quite frequently during the first year of the show:

In fact, John Karlen shot this scene in it:

And James Hall's Willie had several scenes there.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
There's a KITCHEN in that house!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 01:59:16 AM »
I've never seen that scene before!!  A kitchen in Collinwood!  With a butcher block cutting board....a yellow ware bowl (VERY New England) and are those white ceramic canisters back there?

Now really....that kitchen doesn't even look as big as mine....how could a house that big have a kitchen that small?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 02:25:30 AM »
Now really....that kitchen doesn't even look as big as mine....how could a house that big have a kitchen that small?

I thought it was impossible for a 40-room house to have such a small kitchen until I got a look at the kitchen in the Carey (Seaview) mansion.  Talk about a kitchen not befitting a mansion!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 02:29:17 AM »
The kitchen at Lyndhurst certainly fits the house.....it's a proper "Upstairs, Downstairs" kitchen with lots of room for the servants!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 03:02:06 AM »
Raineypark,

I think that the last time that we got to possibly see the "celebrated" Collinwood kitchen (albeit briefly), was when Vicky and Carolyn took refuge there from the overly amorous, new arrival to the great house, Mr. Willie Loomis, way back in 1967.

Bob the Bartender

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 03:48:10 AM »
I always loved the kitchen set from the pre-Barnabas era, so I really love getting this brief glimpse of a modified version.  It's surprising, considering the legendary low budget, that they went to the trouble and expense of assembling the kitchen set for one episode, just so they could introduce a knife into the proceedings.

Regards,

John

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 03:53:11 AM »
Somehow I don't think they were expecting it to be a one-shot deal when they created it.  Don't forget that the original concept for Dark Shadows was gothic, but it wasn't the supernatural fantasy it became.....if the show had kept true to the original plan, there would have been more use for a kitchen set.
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 04:20:27 AM »
I always thought that we were just seeing one section of the kitchen and assumed there was a lot more.
Josette

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 05:54:21 AM »
And I'm wondering, if OLTL borrowed their fireplace, maybe DS borrowed their kitchen?

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 06:30:10 PM »
     I thought my 1920 style kitchen was bad.  That is the worst kitchen layout I have ever seen.   The fridge is far away from the work counter.  I can just see Trask juggling with the milk, lettuce, etc. and trying to make it to the counter without dropping everything.  My husband is an architect and I have been waiting fourteen years for my kitchen remodel and seeing the kitchen at Collinwood struck a raw nerve >:(
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 09:34:06 PM »
Hello MB i've seen that scene before. wonder
if there are any leftovers around????
         Love Anne   ;D ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 04:59:05 PM »
If memory serves, during the original Laura Collins storyline (1967), there's a scene in that set where everyone is having dinner around the table.

Talking about something to blow your mind!  Dinner at Collinwood!

It's weird during 1840 when Julia and Gabriel are seen having breakfast in the drawing room.

G.

Offline AllMyShadows

• Junior Poster
  • DS Fan All the Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 08:03:45 PM »
The Collins' kitchen reminds me way too much of Cyrus' lab.

BTW: There was a dinner scene in HODS after Carolyn died. Remember when Stokes was trying to convince everyone that Carolyn was murdered by a vampire and Liz didn't want to here it so she stormed away.
DS on Sci-Fi
1992-1997, 1999-2003
Let's just hope TVLand picks it up or something like that lol

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 10:18:11 PM »
If memory serves, during the original Laura Collins storyline (1967), there's a scene in that set where everyone is having dinner around the table.

I remember that scene also Gothick.  It's a shame that we only got to see them behaving like a normal family and actuallyeating dinner at a table in the kitchen no less.

I also noticed how different the kitchen in PT looks compared to the one that's shown in Vicky's day with her and Carolyn.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 12:34:21 AM »
     I think the top screen grab is the kitchen in PT but the two lower screen grabs are in the "breakfast room" of RT.  RT Willie orders his breakfast and someone leaves through a doorway to tell Mrs. Johnson to prepare it.  I live in a house built in 1921 and I have a breakfast room.  It is currently used has my laundry room because the kitchen is large enough to eat in.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer