Author Topic: An Inspector Calls.  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
An Inspector Calls.
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:04:40 AM »
Hey gang,

As Buzz Hackett might put it: "That dude, Inspector Hamilton, he ain't no Sheriff Patterson!"

Yes, while the inspector is a tall, articulate and impeccably attired sleuth, the sheriff is a husky, laconic ("just-the-facts, ma'am"), uniformed flatfoot.

Inspector Hamilton impresses me as the sort of cerebral criminal investigator who enjoys reading Thoreau's "The Maine Woods, " or the latest issue of "The New Yorker" during his free time.  Whereas Sheriff Patterson impresses me as the sort of "regular guy" criminal investigator who enjoys reading Mickey Spillane's "I, the Jury," or the latest issue of "True Magazine" during his off-duty hours.

Parallel Time's Inspector Hamilton and Real Time's  Sheriff George Patterson, two entirely disparate senior police officials.  As different as Lord Peter Wymsey is from "Popeye" Doyle.  As antipodal in their investigative techniques as Inspector Morse is from Detective Andy Sipowicz.

Yet, they are both dedicated lawmen, determined to relentlessly track down the wanted culprit, be it PT Quentin or RT Adam (albeit, unfortunately up to now, without much success!).

Bob the Bartender, who wonders: Who done it to Carolyn?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:An Inspector Calls.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 01:53:18 AM »
As antipodal in their investigative techniques as Inspector Morse is from Detective Andy Sipowicz.

Now THERE'S a mental image!! Morse and Sipowicz sitting at the same bar!  :o
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 02:53:45 AM »
Now THERE'S a mental image!! Morse and Sipowicz sitting at the same bar!  :o

Yeah, I wonder which guy would buy the first round of drinks?

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 01:10:32 PM »
Yeah, I wonder which guy would buy the first round of drinks?

I'm sure it would be Sgt. Lewis.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 01:15:01 PM »
I'm sure it would be Sgt. Lewis.

I had that same thought. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 03:14:25 PM »
....and once the drinks were flowing, could Andy Dalziel be far behind?  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 10:53:17 PM »
Given that Inspector Hamilton was a good friend of Hoffman the housekeeper, they could have used the opportunity to have Robert Gerringer play Inspector Woodard!  Even in PT they would have been friends, just in different careers.

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 03:01:02 AM »
Given that Inspector Hamilton was a good friend of Hoffman the housekeeper, they could have used the opportunity to have Robert Gerringer play Inspector Woodard!  Even in PT they would have been friends, just in different careers.
Cool idea!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 04:18:51 AM »
they could have used the opportunity to have Robert Gerringer play Inspector Woodard!

That could have been a great idea! [thumb] Unfortunately, though, there's the fact that DC had fired Gerringer because he'd chosen to honor the NABET strike, so it's not likely DC would have been too keen to rehire him. But even in the event that DC might have considered it, who's to say that Gerringer would have agreed to work for him again? I'd suspect Gerringer might not have been too pleased to have been fired for sticking to his principles. However, even if they might have been willing to let bygones be bygones, there's also the small matter that DC and the writers could barely keep straight what had happened on DS even six months prior to the story they were currently doing, so who knows if they even remembered in 1970 that Gerringer had been on the show in 1967, much less that Woodard had had a connection to Julia. [wink2]

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 10:20:22 PM »

What a good idea Joeytrom! [thumb]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"