Author Topic: 'Dark Shadows!' Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies Invade Brooklyn This Weekend  (Read 10993 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
since no one has started a separate thread shall we use this as the fest report topic?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If you want to, that's fine.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
cool...

i don't have much to add yet i was there briefly last night and about to head back for the day(i live in brooklyn).

they did screen the 2004 pilot which i have never seen and with the exception of the absurd ending(which apparently dan curtis himself disliked intensely)i thought it was rather well done. at some moments actually quite chilling and certainly had alot of potential. according to craig there were to be some casting changes should it have progressed to series but he didn't say who.

i felt the casting was good with a few exceptions....blair brown as liz and kelly hu as julia were just WRONG. the actress who played carolyn(i'm blanking on her name)was very good. angelique for her very brief appearance was quite good as well. interesting that here carolyn and angelique were brunette and vicki a blond. speaking of vic marley shelton was better than i thought she'd be but even when i got past the blond thing i still thought she was too old for the part.

funny even though it's only seven years old it looked quite dated in ways i'm not sure how. again alot of wasted potential.

more to report later...
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So I take it that yet another screening of the '04 pilot was the:

"Friday, August 19
9:30 Dark Shadows Surprise
..."

And here I thought maybe the surprise would actually be something surprising. Apparently I lost my senses there for a bit and should have known better. But at the same time, I love the '04 pilot and believe it should be shown to as many DS fans as possible and as often as possible, so in that sense, it's all good.  [ghost_wink]

Carolyn was played by Jessica Chastain, the actress who has been getting quite a bit of attention lately for her recent films. Quite a few topics have been posted about her lately.

And if I'm recalling correctly, I think Marley Shelton was 29 when she shot the pilot. Interestingly enough, that would have made her the same age as Alec Newmwn. Imagine Vicki and Barn being the same age. (Though maybe the characters weren't supposed to be the same age. And I don't honestly remember if Vicki's age even came up in the pilot. Though they may have aged her intentionally yet again (Vicki being 20 at the start of the original DS but 25 in the '91 version)...)

Changing reels and looking over the schedule, the only other thing I'm particularly curious about is today's discussion about the Depp/DS film. But since they've only set aside the usual 30 minutes for it, I'm not expecting much new there. It would be extremely nice to be mistaken, however...

Thanks for the report, michael_c.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I'm sorry I am missing it this year.  I am stuck in Boston dealing with a very bad, frustrating situation.

I'm sure it is just as well they did run the WB pilot since no doubt there were many fans there who had never seen it.

Thanks Michael for the interesting report!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
NYC-based writer & arts reporter, Will McKinley, tweets about the Fest (and some replies):

willmckinley Will McKinley
At the #DarkShadows festival in Brooklyn. #Twilight fans, come on by and see what you'll look like in 40 years.
1 hour ago

willmckinley
86-year-old #DarkShadows star Jonathan Frid takes the stage to thunderous applause.
58 minutes ago

willmckinley
#DarkShadows star Jonathan Frid on stage introducing a collection of clips featuring his character, Barnabas Collins.
56 minutes ago

willmckinley
I would guess there are about 2,000 #DarkShadows fans here, or 1,000 with very patient spouses.
52 minutes ago

willmckinley
Jonathan Frid's #DarkShadows presentation is focusing on his early, black & white scenes. He really was stunningly creepy.
46 minutes ago

PlumBerryK Kelly Jean
@willmckinley I would watch Dark Shadows every day after elementary school. I think it's how my mom learned English!
30 minutes ago

LJonte LJonte
@willmckinley I love, love, LOVE Dark Shadows. Barnabas was the first 'angsty' vampire in pop culture, though he rarely gets credit.
26 minutes ago

willmckinley
Frid's Barnabas had a fascinating arc, from villain to action hero. I wonder which version Depp will portray. #darkshadows
24 minutes ago

willmckinley
In 1969 #DarkShadows had an audience of 20 million people every day. Few primetime shows do those kind of numbers today.
18 minutes ago

DanTillotson Dan Tillotson
@willmckinley Hundreds of TV channels in the UK - and not one of them running Dark Shadows to my knowledge. Loved it on the 90s SF Channel.
16 minutes ago

willmckinley
Jonathan Frid is walking around with the wolf's head cane he used in #DarkShadows 45 years ago.
6 minutes ago

ninatypewriter Nina L. Diamond
@willmckinley A million thanks for live-tweeting the #DarkShadows festival. I interviewed Jonathan Frid 20 yrs ago & he was a delight.
6 minutes ago

willmckinley
Frid concludes and introduces Kathryn Leigh Scott, who played his doomed bride Josette. #darkshadows
3 minutes ago

willmckinley
@DanTillotson every episode of #darkshadows is available on DVD, and hundreds are available to stream on Netflix.
1 minute ago

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
willmckinley
Kathryn Leigh Scott is reading from her new novel "Dark Passages" based on her days on #darkshadows
5 minutes ago

LJonte
@willmckinley Is there a site for the new production?
32 minutes ago

willmckinley
@LJonte not yet
4 minutes ago

It would certainly be nice if he's still tweeting when they do the Depp Shadows panel in about three hours or so (most likely or so knowing how everything runs late)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Some other recent Fest related tweets:

graceplanet Grace
At Dark Shadows Festival..Quentin signed my book...too dreamy. Theyre auctioning off original episode reels of film http://twitpic.com/692gyc
1 hour ago

ariaofthesoul Denise B
An amazing year to be back at the #DarkShadows Festival. Amazed how many people are attending their first fest this year!
17 minutes ago

jedibunny jedibunny
Just watched clips of Dark Shadows w/ Jonathan Frid at the DS Fest. Special nerds will feel me on this. :) #fb
12 minutes ago

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The next batch from Will McKinley:

willmckinley
#DarkShadows star David Selby (Quentin) on stage, reading from his book "My Shadowed Past"
32 minutes ago

willmckinley
David Selby tells #DarkShadows fans he modeled his character's pompadour hair and long sideburns on Elvis.
23 minutes ago

willmckinley
David Selby played Gage (the lawyer) in "The Social Network" in 2010. #DarkShadows
17 minutes ago

willmckinley
David Selby: "I would slowly duck behind the sofa, and when I came back up I was" the werewolf. #darkshadows
11 minutes ago

FrankJayGruber Frank Jay Gruber
@willmckinley Did Nancy Barrett ever show up? I was there last night+was told she might not come. I'll be there again tomorrow. Thanks.
55 minutes ago

willmckinley
@FrankJayGruber Nancy Barrett does not appear to be here.
9 minutes ago

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another recent tweet:

ariaofthesoul Denise B
Many cast members are on stage at the #DarkShadows fest for the annual reunion.
7 minutes ago

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The next batch from Will McKinley:

willmckinley
10 members of original #DarkShadows cast reunite in Brooklyn in front of replica of original set http://yfrog.com/h2hilvbj
34 minutes ago

willmckinley
#DarkShadows stars Roger Davis, Sharon Smyth, Marie Wallace, David Selby, K.L. Scott, Lara Parker, Kathy Cody, Jerry Lacy, Chris Pennock
30 minutes ago

willmckinley
Producer Jim Pierson announces that Kate Jackson has done dialogue looping for the restoration of NIGHT OF #DARKSHADOWS
19 minutes ago

willmckinley
#DarkShadows actor Roger Davis was apparently not well liked by star Joan Bennett. "I was young," he says.
17 minutes ago
(I doubt many would accept that as an excuse.  [ghost_wink])

willmckinley
Producer announces that NIGHT OF #DARKSHADOWS restoration is using a voice artist to double for the late Grayson Hall.
12 minutes ago

willmckinley
HOUSE OF #DARKSHADOWS (1970) and NIGHT (1971) will be released on Blu Ray in conjunction w/ Tim Burton DS film in 2012.
8 minutes ago

SusanLM4 SusanLM4
@willmckinley Thanks for live tweeting of #DarkShadows event. It's just like I'm there...well, almost. Wish I was! Keep it coming!
10 seconds ago

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Over in the Depp/Burton DS Production topic, DS film specific tweets begin here:
NYC-based writer & arts reporter, Will McKinley, tweets about the Depp/DS film discussion during the Fest's reunion panel:

And another thanks:

jam6242 Jane
@willmckinley Thanks for tweeting info from Dark Shadows convention. Was one of those kids who ran home to watch. Will never forget it!
26 minutes ago

And:

#DarkShadows actors are signing autographs for fans while the 1990 NBC reboot starring Ben Cross plays in the main ballroom.
10 seconds ago

There probably won't be much tweeting until the Depp Shadows panel starts. It was supposed to start at 6:30 pm ET, but everything seems to be running about an hour and 10 minutes late. And considering some years, that's not actually bad.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Original #DarkShadows star Lara Parker (Angelique) asks where all the new fans have come from. "Netflix!" the fans yell.
30 minutes ago

And apparently to make up some time they started the Depp Shadows panel before the autograph signing session ended. But the tweets about that panel are also in the Depp/Burton DS Production topic...

And I don't know if there will be any more interesting tweets tonight. But I'll check in in a couple hours to see. And if so, I'll certainly post them...