Author Topic: 'Dark Shadows!' Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies Invade Brooklyn This Weekend  (Read 11016 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Wow, Michael, I'm very envious that you were able to see the tape of "The Crucible." It was announced to be presented many years ago--and if I am remembering correctly, it was announced two years running for different Festivals (one might have the Las Vegas Festival?) but Pierson either kept forgetting to bring the tape, or it simply wasn't available at the last minute.

Do you remember anything about Thayer David's work in the play?

That is so sad that Nancy was unable to attend.  I hope she is OK.

Best,  Gothick

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
They did show the 2004 DS pilot as the "surprise" they had in the schedule.

I hated it it, it was way too campy and everyone seemed to be overacting with the exception of the actor playing Barnabas who I thought was pretty good in the role.  The dialogue was badly written for the most part.  I thought David was done ok as a sociopath!  Angelique looked good herself.   Willie Loomis was a joke prior to his releasing Barnabas (who climbed walls like Spiderman).  Carolyn acted and dressed like a tramp.

I am glad the WB didn't pick this up.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Joey, for what it's worth, I agree with many of your criticisms of the WB 2004 pilot.  My least favorite things were Vicki's arrival at Collinwood and welcome by Elizabeth--the tone was so extremely off I still have no idea what they were doing--and the finale which was just WAY over the top.

The stuff with a bloodcrazed Barnabas hovering in the trees was very creepy, although I think it was ripped off from an earlier film (maybe directed by Tarantino? or John Carpenter?  I never saw it--I generally avoid post 1970s horror films--but I saw stills).  I did think Alec Newman made a wonderful choice for Barnabas.  I will be very surprised if Depp hits the mark to the degree that Newman did, in fact.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
"campy" is a word that seems to cling to every variation of DS there is. you just know the burton project will probably end up with that label as well given his over the top sensibility.

in her miniskirt and black leather jacket this carolyn was in the minxy barabara blackburn rather than the nancy barrett tradition. i sort of liked her. a much younger carolyn for the film will certainly bring a new take on the character.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Hey guys! I hope everyone had fun this weekend! I was planning on attending as well, even booked the hotel, but my sister had to have some serious surgery last weekend so we canceled so she could get the rest she needs. I didn't see anything in the tweets or anything mentioned - did Stuart speak about the audio dramas, any new news or comments on Season 3?

I'm bummed I missed Jerry Lacy. Was Chris Pennock there? I know he was having some kind of family emergency and I hoped everything had turned out OK.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Stuart did speak about the DS audio dramas, but I don't remember if he said anything about a third season.  I bought the first two seasons but havent gotten around to listening to them yet.

Chris Pennock was there and said his family emergency had gotten better and thanked the fans for their support.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
BenCossette Ben Cossette
My impressions of the 2011 Dark Shadows convention. First off, every person I talked to had nothing (cont...) http://trunc.it/hxipe
11 hours ago
(Click on the link to read the full report.)

RD now charges for his autograph if you don't buy a photo?! (My reaction would have been the same as Mr. Cosette's) And wow, that's a far cry from the 1989 Fest when RD went down the autograph line handing out autographed copies of his supplement page to the program (he was such a late addition that year that it was too late to bind his page into the program) for free to everyone standing there - whether you wanted it or not...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Wow, Davis had the longest line after Parker?  Incredible.

As we all know, usually the majority of people who attend the DS Festivals have never attended one before.  And in most cases, they never bother to come back. Sounds of Cossette is done with the experience himself.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow, Davis had the longest line after Parker?  Incredible.

When I read that I wondered if people were feeling sympathetic, figuring that if RD was charging for his autograph, he needed the money?  [ghost_undecided]

As we all know, usually the majority of people who attend the DS Festivals have never attended one before.

This tweet would seem to indicate that the availability of DS on Netflix is responsible for a lot of new fans:
Quote from: Will McKinley
Original #DarkShadows star Lara Parker (Angelique) asks where all the new fans have come from. "Netflix!" the fans yell.

And on any given day I've noticed dozens of people tweeting about how either they're getting DS from Netflix or they're disappointed that the whole series isn't available there. I'd assumed most of the tweets have been coming from people who were already fans and who are checking DS out again. But perhaps a lot of them really are new fans who are just discovering the show because of Netflix. But at any rate, the notion of Netflix helping to create new fans is a really interesting one.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another report and some very nice photos:

MarkedOut MarkedOut.com
45th Anniversary Dark Shadows Convention Report - MarkedOut.com http://fb.me/IYFzOY43
2 hours ago

And there's also this:

bobbyabate Bobby Abate
Dark Shadows dinner was a trip to a parallel universe that I may still be stuck in.
3 hours ago

I still can't believe that he cut the banquet line and then tweeted about it like he did...

David

Kathleen Cody is chatting about the Fest at her Facebook page. Participants in the thread include Barry Pearl, who played Doody in the film Grease!
Has another celebrity DS fan been ID'd?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
JasmineLuca Jasmine Luca
HAD SUCH A GR8 TIME!!! THE DARK SHADOWS CAST (FROM THE 60s & 70s) WERE INCREDIBLY SWEET THEY MADE OUR VACA. SUPER SPECIAL #LOVEDARKSHADOWS!
18 minutes ago

ClaudeNorth

Random thoughts about the weekend:

The '04 pilot wasn't much of a surprise, but I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to see it.  Echoes of SUSPIRIA -- the saturated colors, Vicki's arrival during a rainstorm, finding no one there to meet her (at least initially) -- and I like that the writer dispensed with the issue of Vicki's parentage, or did I miss a line of dialogue?  It's possible, consider that a small group of fans insisted on having a loud conversation in the ballroom during the screening.  The ending was botched, but I think with work, it could have been a success.  Of course, if it had been picked up, would the Tim Burton film be happening?

David Selby sitting at his table in the dealers' room, and not a fan in sight, believe it or not!

Marie Wallace and Chris Pennock sharing the stage for a lively discussion.  I think Marie might be the my favorite Fest guest.  She seems genuinely glad to be there, and doesn't have dollar signs in her eyes...

Bobbi Ann Woronko t-shirts?

People standing in line to buy Bobbi Ann Woronko t-shirts?

The highly-anticipated "Depp Shadows" panel, during which Jim, um, Pierson informed us that, uh, Pinewood Studios has, uh, hair and make-up people, who use, um, make-up and, uh, hairspray and, ummmmmmmm...chemicals...

The mass exodus when Kathy Cody introduced THE CRUCIBLE.  A shame, because it was a terrific production, with George C. Scott, Colleen Dewhurst, Tuesday Weld, Melvyn Douglas, Will Geer, and Fritz Weaver (no lightweights, they!), not to mention Ms. Cody, Clarice Blackburn and Thayer David (as the Putnams), Dana Elcar, John Harkins, and cult favorite Catherine Burns (Oscar nominated for LAST SUMMER).  Would love to see this get a DVD release.

Julia Duffy stomping around the lobby of the Marriott, looking as if she'd rather be anywhere else in the world than at a DS Festival.

Donna Wandrey and Marie Wallace talking about their vampire roles with grace and humor.  Would love to see them share the stage in something other than a DS Fest panel.

Being on the receiving end of an unprovoked scowl from Jonathan Frid as he and his companion were leaving the hotel restaurant this morning.  Should I be flattered, offended, or scared?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile