Author Topic: The Vampire Diaries  (Read 13786 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The Vampire Diaries
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 02:19:28 AM »
I have no idea whether this is relevant to this thread, but I thought of how ardently you (MB) keep up with news on this show last Friday when I was at Macy's--their big flagship store in Downtown Crossing, in Boston (which is where I ALWAYS imagine Liz, Carolyn and Vicki going on their shopping trips in 1967)--I was headed for housewares, and to get their you have to cut through an area that seems keyed to women's leisure wear.  Anyhow there was this huge image of a romantic couple (male/female) with the big caption 'VAMPIRE DIARIES" and a product that is being marketed in connection with the show.  I think it was some kind of cologne or perfume, but I am not sure.

The cards for these stanchions are going to be fabulous collectibles for fans of this series.  The one I saw was gorgeous.  I'm sure you've all seen them.  Just really saying that even without watching TV or paying attention (all my friends seem to watch True Blood instead), I periodically become aware of just how big this show is.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:57 AM »

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 03:41:47 PM »
It has a DS vibe?  Interesting. Maybe I should add the first disc to my Netflix queue and give it a shot...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
The DS vibe actually develops over the entire first season. And by the second season it's almost like it's a different show because much of the dynamics between the characters change radically. The show actually reminds me somewhat of Buffy in that the characters don't remain static like they do on so many other shows. They evolve - and in some case they evolve radically. And at this point with the beginning of the third season, they're all very different from the people we saw at the start of season one. Well, the one who aren't dead are. Though even a few of them who are dead are as well. But to explain that would ruin way too much.  [ghost_wink]

Paul Wesley Talks Stefan’s Rage on PIX11 Morning News on September 12, 2011

Photos! The CW Stars Hit Up the California Premiere Party

Nina Dobrev: Now that Stefan’s a Different Person, Elena Will Grow Closer to Damon
(Actually, the video features Paul Wesley, Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder talking about their characters.)

Nina Dobrev on How Everyone Is Coping in Season 3

Sneak Peek Video! Damon Tells Elena That Stefan Is Never Coming Back in Season 3, Episode 1: “The Birthday”

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 03:54:55 AM »
I played a clip on Youtube.  It looks a lot like the usual CW jazz,mixed in with the current fads around portrayals of werewolves as feral gangsters and vampires as rich, troubled alcoholics... so, I don't know...  I just don't have that much time to watch anything these days.  Nice production values, though.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
I don't know what clip you watched on YouTube - it may have been something new. But going by what I've watched so far and in terms of the longterm story, the werewolves could never be described as feral gangsters. They may have appeared that way in an isolated scene or two. If so, nothing is coming to mind. Though as far as the vampires go, some could be described as rich, troubled alcoholics - but that's by no means the only range of vamps on the show because they pretty much run the gamut. And even the ones who could be described that way are more complex than just that. And, of course, it's not just the vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts, seances, spells, and returns from the dead that help to give TVD its DS vibe, its the soapyness of the plots. But the thing about TVD is that early on it does take a commitment to the show because, even though it certainly has a lot going for it in the beginning, it takes a while before it develops into the show that fans have now come to expect. For one thing, season two was almost like a completely different show is many respects. And I'm really looking forward to the inevitable changes season three will bring...

Candice Accola: Caroline Will Explore Her Relationships With Both Tyler and Matt

Vampire Diaries Season 3 Spoilers: Bonemy in Jeopardy, the Originals Return, Katherine Skips Town
(Not particularly spoilery if you're up to date on last season.)

Season 3 Spoilers! When Will Damon and Elena Hook Up?

Matt Davis: Alaric Will Enforce Some Boundaries Between Damon and Elena

Kat Graham: Hopefully Bonnie’s Not as Crazy as Me

Season 3 Spoilers! Katherine’s Return and Forwood’s Fireworks
(Again, not very spoilery.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 11:58:41 PM »
It was one of those three minute edits of clips from preceding episodes designed to get fans back in the picture for the new season (#3 or #4 I can't recall which).

I'm not saying it was bad--far from it.  I just didn't see anything that would inspire me to devote the amount of time that would be required to watch the preceding seasons of episodes in order to get up to speed with it.

The material about the werewolf, or werewolves, was kind of confusing.  At the end there was this guy who walked into a room naked on a woman and he had these weird bumps on his skin--I figured he was meant to be a werewolf.

The one thing that DID grab my attention, I have to confess, were a series of scenes between these two really attractive men who looked as if they were on the verge of having hot unbridled sex.  I think that in the story they actually detest one another, but there was a heavy vibe of unresolved sexual tension in the area...the slash writers must have a field day with those two.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:32 AM »
The material about the werewolf, or werewolves, was kind of confusing.  At the end there was this guy who walked into a room naked on a woman and he had these weird bumps on his skin--I figured he was meant to be a werewolf.

[hdscrt]  The werewolves on the show are actual wolves. But even if that was one of the transformation scenes, I'm at a loss to place it. I'm definitely going to have to track down that YouTube clip.  [ghost_wink]

Ian Somerhalder: Damon Will Be Naked and Rip Someone’s Head off (Hopefully Not at the Same Time)

Steven R. McQueen: Jeremy’s Got a Snappy Sense of Humor

Elena Keeps Bumping up Against Damon: Julie Plec Previews the Season 3 Premiere

“Hello, Brother” Stefan and Damon Are Reunited in Season 3

Spoilers! Ian Somerhalder Says Damon and Elena Act Like a Married Couple in Season 3
(Spoilery? Not really.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 04:07:19 AM »
I tried to find that clip montage again but it wasn't showing up, and Youtube was so slow it was practically crashing when I was looking... if I do find it again, I will post the link so you can check it out.  It was something along the lines of, "here's what you need to know before you watch season 3."

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile