Author Topic: Today's Robservations Slideshow  (Read 12077 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Robservations Slideshow
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
In tonight's show, I just love the look of prim, cat-like disapproval on the Countess's face as Vicki's "shocking" attire is being paraded for the Reverend's examination.  Such bluestockinged distaste is usually more the province of Miss Abigail Collins, but the Countess more than holds her own in this delicious little moment.

Isn't there a scene where Trask comes in while Natalie is reading her cards and thunders:  "the Devil's picture-book, madam!"  It's been a really long time since I watched this storyline...

There are some great shots from Leviathan too.  My favorite is when Julia gets in Barn's face about the discovery of Quentin and he tells her to stop wasting her time.  The look on Chris's countenance seems to say, "Whoa! skating on thin ice there with the good Doctor!"

I just love these shows...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:31 PM »
boy is today's slideshow loaded with moments to cherish and remember. great stuff from joan bennett from all four years.

A couple that weren't featured in the previous post:

1968: Ep #644 - Liz, Carolyn and Roger are startled as
Jamison's name begins to spell out on Carolyn's mirror.

1969: Ep #904 - Liz takes the book away from David and
grounds him.

and really, what can one say about liz's leviathan dream? it defies accurate description. it truly must be seen to be believed. [santa_shocked]

Indeed it must be seen to be believed!  [b003]

1969: Ep #904 - Liz experiences one of the singlemost
bizarre dreams in DS history (if not ALL of entertainment
history)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
I remember the last time I watched it, I was able to kind of figure out an explication for Liz's Leviathan dream.  I can't recall now just what it was.

I wish you would have posted your explanation because I would have loved to have read it. Perhaps it will come back to you one day...

Love today's shots of Diana Millay's big entrance in 1966.  This may be my favorite introduction of a new character.

Here they are:

1966: Ep #123 - A mystery woman enters the coffeeshop,
and...

1966: Ep #123 - ...Maggie learns that the woman is
'sort of' back for a visit.

I always thought Laura's lunching hat was too offbeat for Ohrbach's; could it have been from Diana's own wardrobe?

The Ohrbach's slogan was "high fashion at low prices," so perhaps not. And while this is a bit OT, I've been regularly watching The Patty Duke Show in syndication recently and in its last year the clothes were provided by Ohrbach's, and you'd be surprised how sophisticated some of the clothes are. And we're talking basically the same period of time as Laura's entrance because TPDS' last season ran during the '65-'66 season.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »
In tonight's show, I just love the look of prim, cat-like disapproval on the Countess's face as Vicki's "shocking" attire is being paraded for the Reverend's examination.  Such bluestockinged distaste is usually more the province of Miss Abigail Collins, but the Countess more than holds her own in this delicious little moment.

And here it is:

1967: Ep #385 - Reverend Trask is scandalized by the
'indecent' clothing Vicki was wearing on her arrival.

Isn't there a scene where Trask comes in while Natalie is reading her cards and thunders:  "the Devil's picture-book, madam!"  It's been a really long time since I watched this storyline...

In Ep #386, when Trask sees Natalie's Tarot cards and learns she uses them to predict the future, he refers to them as "the Devil's playthings." Of course, he also rambles on about how only God determines the future and how Natalie can't possibly be a religious woman - but Natalie soon puts him in his place.  [wink2]

There are some great shots from Leviathan too.  My favorite is when Julia gets in Barn's face about the discovery of Quentin and he tells her to stop wasting her time.  The look on Chris's countenance seems to say, "Whoa! skating on thin ice there with the good Doctor!"

And here that is:

1969: Ep #905 - Barnabas refuses to believe the man is
Quentin and feels Julia shouldn't be spending so much
energy on a quest that can only end in disappointment.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
You know I adore the shot of Julia and LeviaLiz in their pearls from 1969.  Grayson and Joan, THE Divas--what more fabulous Xmas glamour could one imagine?

I hope the Barn and Ange shippers get to see the shot of them together featured on the Current Talk page today.  It's one of the best shots of them together I have ever seen.  And it really conveys the tension of their relationship.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »
You know I adore the shot of Julia and LeviaLiz in their pearls from 1969.

And here it is:

1969: Ep #910 - Liz tries to convince Julia that everything
Paul has been saying is fantasy.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
there was something super-chic...and super icy...about leviathan liz.

i'm recalling lots of little black dresses and gobs of jewelry.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2011, 12:18:01 AM »
Haven't been able to check in here in awhile due to holiday travel.  It's always such a treat to see the latest delights on the Robservations slideshow.

I'll have to re-watch the episode (a good one, as I recall) where Liz and Roger invite Laura to live at Collinwood.  The dress Liz wore for that scene, as shown in today's snapshot, is blinding in its display of Chanel-inspired diva glamour.  Liz clearly was defining battle lines with Laura, even before the two had started with the raised eyebrows and defiant pouts.

Happy New Year to all!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
yes in later years the show becomes something of a boys club with jonathan frid and david selby dominating the proceedings but during the first year the female characters ruled the roost and that was never finer than during the laura collins storyline.

joan bennett and diana millay were perfectly matched. their scenes together will always stand out as series favorites to me.

i always thought it was funny that when vicki was trying to reach her friends from the past she did so by filling the closet with a bunch of sleeveless dresses. nothing could possibly speak victoria winters more. [santa_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2011, 04:00:59 AM »
I'll have to re-watch the episode (a good one, as I recall) where Liz and Roger invite Laura to live at Collinwood.  The dress Liz wore for that scene, as shown in today's snapshot, is blinding in its display of Chanel-inspired diva glamour.

Here it is:

(And just in case anyone missed this notice in its own topic:
The Quotes Slideshow for the original DS has moved atop Page 1 of the Robservations board. And the Episode Captions Slideshow can now be found atop all the other pages of the Robservations board.
  [santa_smiley])

Liz clearly was defining battle lines with Laura, even before the two had started with the raised eyebrows and defiant pouts.

I always got the impression that Liz was none too fond of Laura from day one of her relationship with Roger (perhaps even before then) and things just got worse after Laura returned.  But then, Liz always had excellent instincts about people...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »
joan bennett and diana millay were perfectly matched. their scenes together will always stand out

Indeed!  [santa_thumb]

i always thought it was funny that when vicki was trying to reach her friends from the past she did so by filling the closet with a bunch of sleeveless dresses. nothing could possibly speak victoria winters more.

Absolutely!  [santa_cheesy]