Author Topic: Today's Robservations Slideshow  (Read 12078 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Robservations Slideshow
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »
The first image in the slideshow for episode 85 really captures the flavor of the early months of DS.  Liz is in the infamous roll-neck lime-green shroud, Carolyn has her hair up, and both women are absorbed in a heated discussion about the dating life of Miss Carolyn Stoddard and the not so minor peccadilloes thereof.

Just a marvelous moment that seems worthy of note.

And here it (finally) is:

1966: Ep #85 - Carolyn isn't going to listen as Liz tells her
that she's lucky Joe hasn't taken a dozen girls out.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 05:40:24 AM »
There are some delectable Halloween treats for Grayson Hall fans in today's new slideshow.  The scene in Josette's room where Carolyn is convalescing from the experience of being turned into Barn's new vampire slave rates as one of the most creepy moments in the entire series, at least to me.  I am particularly fascinated because there was a substantial chunk from this scene missing in the version of the episode that I originally saw on the MPI tapes. (I unfortunately missed the episode during the 1976 syndication of these shows in my home area--by the time they got to this point in the story, I was attending college and only saw the show very occasionally if I went up to visit my folks for a few days.) It wasn't until 2 or 3 years ago when I finally got the DVDs for this period that I was able to see the restored version, which I had heard about on some fan site or other (might have even been an early incarnation of this Board--I can't remember when MPI announced the restoration of this episode).

This episode also rates as one of the moments where you think Julia couldn't possibly abase herself any further in attempting to get Barn to keep her in his life.  Of course, this is all just the prelude to Julia turning the tables on Barn in a way that shows that trifling with the good doctor's affections was a big mistake for this not-so-vulnerable vampire...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
Here are the two moments referenced:

1967: Ep #351 - Julia asks Carolyn how she is feeling after
Barnabas' attack.

1967: Ep #351 - Even though Barnabas refuses to continue
with the experiment, Dr. Hoffman insists that he still needs
her.

I agree that they're great stuff, as is this next scene that was also alluded to:

1967: Ep #352 - With Vicki once again under hypnosis, Julia
warns she must subconsciously resist everything Barnabas
tries to do.

The whole period of Carolyn under Barnabas' control has just so many great moments, particularly between Carolyn and Julia.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
From "sometimes vicki's a pain in neck"
Vicki's trip to Bangor is up on the Robservations slideshow tonight.  Ah, the memories...

Yes, some great stuff. Not the least of which is the introduction of Frank Garner.

1966: Ep #92 - Vicki meets with Collins lawyer Richard
Garner about the ledger sheet.

1966: Ep #92 - Frank Garner reassures Vicki that he's going
to dig until he comes up with an answer.

1966: Ep #92 - Garner warns Liz about Vicki's visit.

It's too bad Conard Fowkes didn't hang around longer. (Just think of him as Peter Bradford instead of a certain someone else.) But being offered the lead in a new soap will do it almost every time...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 04:07:32 AM »
Tonight's scene selection from episode 94 again arouses poignant feelings, particularly the wonderful snapshot of Vicki and Frank having dinner. It's nice to think of the two of them in an alternate universe eventually marrying, settling down and having a wonderful family.

And from 1967, as always it's a treat to see the shot of Julia ordering Carolyn from her room.  Drama so high it's stratospheric!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »
and oh that bangor pine...

it's the creamiest set ever. the wallpaper is to die for.

and alexandra in these eps. hair up. coat draped across shoulders. dreamy. very much the proper soap heroine. [hall2_kiss]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
Loving today's further selection of scenes from Bangor '66.  The look on Roger's face upon receiving Vicki's phonecall is priceless.

And meanwhile, in 1968 Julia is wearing that fabulous blue dress.  I know some people really do not like the dress, but I think it goes so well with our pale titian-haired beauty.

It's a good day in Collinsport.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »
Tonight's scene selection from episode 94 again arouses poignant feelings, particularly the wonderful snapshot of Vicki and Frank having dinner.

And here it is:

It's nice to think of the two of them in an alternate universe eventually marrying, settling down and having a wonderful family.

Yes, as opposed to being tossed over Widows' Hill by the cheap, insufferable pig! Grrrr.  [angry1]

And from 1967, as always it's a treat to see the shot of Julia ordering Carolyn from her room.  Drama so high it's stratospheric!

Yes, I love that too:

Not to mention:

1967: Ep #355 - Having caught on to his ruse, Julia informs
Barnabas that his 'little helper' won't find what she's
looking for.

Julia really gets to zap it to Barn.  [wink2]  [thumbleft]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »
Loving today's further selection of scenes from Bangor '66.

With, of course, THE most important being:

1966: Ep #95 - Vicki becomes unnerved when she realizes
that THE PEN she lost looks like the one Burke gave Blair.

[b003]

The look on Roger's face upon receiving Vicki's phonecall is priceless.

Isn't it though:

And meanwhile, in 1968 Julia is wearing that fabulous blue dress.  I know some people really do not like the dress, but I think it goes so well with our pale titian-haired beauty.

That dress:

didn't even appear on
The Dark Shadows Forum Fashion Poll-Spotlight:  Julia Hoffman, M. D., Ph.D.

I'd never even noticed. And I wasn't aware that there was a sizable dislike of it. But still, one would think it still would have been a part a poll. Interesting...

It's a good day in Collinsport.

Indeed.

I also love:

1969: Ep #877 - Petofi explains how he has caused the
deceased master of Dartmoor prison, Garth Blackwood, to
reappear to deal with Aristede.

And Gerard's greed gets him much more than he bargained for:

1970: Ep #1138 - After a dream, Gerard returns to the
underground vault to find the mask and...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
The blue dress definitely deserved to be in there.  I can't believe the gorgeous grey herringbone tweed coat ranked below some of the other things on that roster, particularly that nubby orange horror.

My absolutely favorite thing she ever wore is this scarf from the summer of 1970.  She only wore it for one half of an episode which makes me wonder whether it might have been a personal item of clothing.

I also love the dark green dress with a beautifully embroidered scarf that she wears in the scene where she hypnotises Daphne, also from the summer of 1970.

I read somewhere, in some fanzine, a theory or statement that a deliberate decision was made after Parallel Time 1970 to make Julia's look more feminine and glam as an eventual launch for a full-blown romance with Barnabas.  Since the show was canceled and Frid was already making signs of potentially leaving in Nov.-Dec. of 1970, we'll never know.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
did julia get a few new frocks for 1970? as i recall some of the duds were starting to get pretty threadbare by this point. i seem to remember the green tweed suit from 1967 still getting a frequent outing. someone from ABC costuming just kept shortening the hems.

as our "junior sophisticate" kathryn leigh scott seemed to get the most frequent wardrobe replenishment. she and nancy barrett got a couple of MAXISKIRTS around this time. [hall2_shocked]

needless to say liz's insane chartrues caftan thing from 1966 was still in heavy rotation. DCP was obviously determined to get every penny out of that thing.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »
Julia seemed to get serious fashion adjustments after Vicki returned from 1795 and Miss Hoffman was revealed to the Dr. (rich rich--one assumes) Hoffman and after the story returned from 1895/7?  She sported the very clingy dresses when hanging out with Quentin when trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with barnabas.

It does amaze me though to watch DS and see the actresses, Grayson and Alexandra who were both tall and lithe --appear to be squat and boxy in the dresses--i assume it was the camera they were using and off-the-rack (no tailoring) Orbach's outfits. Because just a few years before (3 to be precise), if you watch Iguana or in fan photos, you see how thin Grayson was -- you don't get that from the wool/twead wear or that blue dress--=BOX.
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
"plastics".

that was the name of the game in the 1960's. so the fabrics were thick. and heavy. and synthetic. not an organic nor breathable fabric in sight.

this certainly lent the DS fashions a "boxy" look. come of the coats and dresses looked like they'd stand up on their own.

considering that a retailer was the credited supplier of the clothing i'm always surprised how much wear these garments got. some lasted the full five year run. i mean would have killed ohrbach's to send over new things now and then? [hall2_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »
We're getting OT, but...

For what it's worth, about the only things that seemed to be updated with any regularity were coats (particularly the coats Liz wore - there's one stretch of eps where she seems to wear a new coat every time she goes out), and David's clothes. Though, of course, with David that was due in no small part to the fact that Henesy would outgrow David's old wardrobe.  [hall2_wink]  If DC had thought he could get away with David being dressed in pants that were up around his calves and shirts that were inches above his waist and bursting at the seams, he probably would have.  [hall2_grin]  [hall2_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
My absolutely favorite thing she ever wore is this scarf from the summer of 1970.  She only wore it for one half of an episode which makes me wonder whether it might have been a personal item of clothing.

Sort of getting back on topic, that outfit was featured in the September 3rd slideshow:

I also love the dark green dress with a beautifully embroidered scarf that she wears in the scene where she hypnotises Daphne, also from the summer of 1970.

And that one in the September 16th slideshow:

and the September 17th slideshow (the capture of which is displayed back in Reply #26 on Page 2).