Author Topic: DS DVD Set 2  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
DS DVD Set 2
« on: August 28, 2002, 03:47:38 AM »
Has anyone who pre-ordered the DS DVD set, especially from Amazon, gotten any notice that their order has been shipped.  I ordered mine back in May, just as the first set was coming out and I realized today was the release date but I had no word from Amazon.  I checked their website and it says it usually ships in 2 to 3 days, which either means they didn't get their order as promised by MPI or they have shipped all they had and are having to reorder.  I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten it period, from anywhere yet, including MPI?

Raholt

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Re: DS DVD Set 2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 05:46:18 AM »
Nope.  I pre-ordered from Amazon also and have been watching for some notice that they have sent it, but nothing so far.  [pissd]

I thought that the MPI website indicated that those who ordered from them would get their DVDs a little earlier than the rest of us. Has that happened? I assume not since no one has mentioned receiving anything.  :'(

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 10:01:07 AM »
While Amazon and Barnes and Noble list Vol 2 of the DVD's as being in stock and shipped in 2 -3 days, I went to Buy.com which usually gives a more truthful listing of what status a product has and they have it listed as being released on Aug 27, but status is backordered.  That tells me it was not release today as MPI has been promising for over a month now it would be.  

BTW, I checked MPI's website and they are still advertising it coming on Aug 27.  When the first set was released, the day of the release that type of ad was changed to say Available Now!  It has not changed this time so that tells me it is not available as promised and that is why nobody has gotten any notification about their order or recieved the product.  So much for MPI claiming some pre-orders might ship by Aug 14.  If that did happen and I doubt it, then they must have diverted all their available stock to those orders leaving others who ordered elsewhere online or in store hanging.

Raholt

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 11:36:20 AM »
i learned a long time ago to never pre-order anything. i always wait till i know for a fact that it actually exists first. this seems to be especially true for ds related items.

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 01:57:44 PM »
I tried 7 stores and none had it,...I finally called MPI and just ordered it from them...They said it was a little late getting out and thats why the stores may not have had it but a friend of mine saw it in another town not too far so it is out...give it a couple of days...I was really frustrated with the local stores but, as always MPI is very accessible by phone when all else failed...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 02:19:00 PM »
I availed myself of the free shipping from Amazon.Com for the DSII DVD so I went to the site on Aug. 27th and changed my pre-order status to 'placing the order'.  I received a return email from A.C. saying that it would be shipping on  Sept. 9th.

Maybe the delay from A.C. is to ship first to those who are paying for shipping and lastly to us who are getting the 'freebee' shipping.

This a.m. I received another email from A.C. advising me that the DVD has been released. ?!?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 07:39:04 PM »
I checked my preorder last night, because I had the shipping to go to my "old" job. So, I was relieved it hadn't been sent. It said that I was slated for shipping on Sept. 5-10. Which is in keeping with Miss Winthrop's info at least. I will keep my preorder status and lets see if I get it at same time as those who just ordered it.

Interesting note, I am a huge Costco addict. I had a certificate for $20 on their web site and used it for a movie that I didn't realize wasn't yet released at the time. Another time I pre-purchased in the store itself. One I got a day early or the day it was released, the other I got SEVERAL days early. Of course, they don't handle a huge selection and I have not seen the DS collection there. (They do have Buffy season II in the stores, not sure about the web site.) Anyway, just thought I would mention how they compare. Perhaps that isn't fair to Amazon though, if the actual problem is with MPI.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 08:56:13 PM »
I order lots of my DVDs from Canadian DVD e-tailers, since you can get them for much, much cheaper.  The only downside is that shipping takes longer, and sometimes the initial release dates vary.  

I got Set 2 for only $39 US dollars, with free shipping, but I won't see it until the middle of September...  Haven't decided whether I'll do the same for Set 3...

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 10:14:48 PM »
CDT, where did you order the set???  I'd be interested since I've seen those eps and am in no particular hurry.  (And you're right... shipping from Canada usually takes a good bit longer than within the States.)

I checked the big retail chain B*** B** in my area today (not spelling it out since I know one or two people here aren't too happy with them) since they usually have decent prices... but, no luck... not in stock yet.  Media Play usually carries DS DVDs, but I didn't go look there since their prices are generally a good deal higher.  I had a pretty good experience with dvdplanet.com for collection 1, but if you got yours at such a good price from Canada, I may have to go that route!

Joe

p.s. Anyone else notice that Amazon raised the price for Collection 1 to over $50??  Wonder why...

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 10:57:14 PM »
I went thru www.dvdsoon.com --but it's my first order thru them, so I can't give you a personal recommendation yet...   And the free shipping is only if you get several things--I don't remember the price cutoff, but it's listed...  

They've got a mixed reputation so far, from what I can tell.  I usually start by checking out www.dvdpricesearch.com , which you may already be familiar with...

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 11:05:16 PM »
Wow... that dvdpricesearch site is pretty darn cool... who knew??????  (except you!)

Thanks!    ;D

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2002, 01:46:04 AM »
Having worked in retail video, if the shipping dates have been pushed back like that, it is not from Amazon or MPI shipping to pre-orders first, it is that MPI has delayed the release date of the set.  Amazon's shipping estimate change all the time, but this now tells me, along with no reply from Amazon customer service about the status of my order, that they don't know now when the set is coming out.  Add to that the before mentioned comment  by MPI that it was a little late getting out and what I see now is that it is not out anywhere.  For the person who had a friend that saw it somewhere, they must have seen set 1 and thought it was the new set because the evidence is overwhelming that it has not been released yet.  

Now lets see how far the release date of Set 3 is pushed back after this.  I'm thinking October or even November.

Raholt

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2002, 02:07:34 AM »
Now lets see how far the release date of Set 3 is pushed back after this.  I'm thinking October or even November.

Ahhhh, rats!
[madan] [angryf] [kaiokn]

I did take a look at Best Buy today and didn't see it.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2002, 04:00:59 AM »
I searched several stores yesterday for the Dan Curtis Macabre Collection (or any individual titles in that collection) to no avail.  This was suppoed to be released yesterday as well.  I ordered from Deep Discount DVD last evening--hoping for a delivery by Saturday--but I'm afraid MPI has failed in delivering as planned and I'll get it sometime next week--if not later--and my Credit Card will still be charged.  Ah well, so much for being anxious about these things!  After 45 years one would think I could be more patient and wait until I actually see my wish list DVDs in stores.   :-/

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2002, 06:12:01 AM »
Both set 2 and the 4 Dan Curtis discs should be out soon. My editor at the VideoHound guide just received finished product screeners.

Darren