Author Topic: The HoDS celebration at the Vista  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The HoDS celebration at the Vista
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »
May as well start a topic for it now.

For fans getting their tickets for the HoDS screening directly from the theater's box office, there were a lot left as of opening time (4 p.m.) yesterday.  But I'm assuming they will sell out, so it may not be wise to wait til the last minute if you want to see the movie.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The HoDS celebration at the Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
Would love to hear details of this, for anyone who feels like sharing.  Sounds like great fun!  I would love to know the technical specs of what they screen.  It would be great if it were a gorgeous new 35 mm print of the movie.  If the owners decide to make it available, maybe our local rep house (founded among others by Thayer David!) will screen it one of these days.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »
They may be using a different print, but given what Darren wrote in this post:
HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!
it seems quite possible it will be that same version...

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:39:46 AM »
it will probably be the same print they showed in 2000 and in SF a couple of years ago. it was in good condition but hardly a prestine print. I will be videotaping the handprint ceremony and will do my best to post pictures here and video on my youtube page asap. i also plan to make all the footage available for download and viewing on my VOD site but it will take apx 2 weeks.
 http://surf.to/dseventsvod

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Thanks to MB and to Joe for those links.

I would love any thoughts from anyone who has notes to share about the visual impact of the screening and any related technical reviews about the sound, etc.  I just read an article in a Video Watchdog of a few issues back about "Wild Billy" Friedkin's havoc-wreaking "experiments" with the color settings on the French Connection DVD and what a mess he made of it (apparently, he made less of a mess with playing around with the "Cruising" DVD release).  The French Connection disc was such a horror that the cinematographer who is still alive apparently tried to have his name removed from it.

Darren's thoughtful comments about the color palette and "murkiness" effects in the print previously screened were so apt and fascinating to read.

I am trying to accept the reality that I will probably never, ever see hoDS again looking the way it did when I saw it in the movie theatre back in 1970.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
The French Connection disc was such a horror that the cinematographer who is still alive apparently tried to have his name removed from it.

Oh wow!

Well, I think we can pretty much rest assured that nothing like that will happen once Darren has processed hoDS and NoDS for release on DVD.  [wink2]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:23:49 AM »
I'm writing quickly from the computer room at the Marriott. I'm sure others will be able to provide more detailed and technical information, but I'll share some impressions. First, the experience itself: there were five busloads of people from the hotel, and I was on the last bus. I wasn't able to see anything when they were preparing the cement and I realized I wouldn't be able to see any of the ceremony, and then I learned that there was a line to see the movie. It wrapped around the corner and down two blocks; I ended up being the third to last person in line. The temperature was in the 90s, and we stood in line for more than an hour in the sun. (I hadn't thought to put on sunscreen.) From the outside, the theater facade looked extremely small and it seemed doubtful that I would even make it in to the movie, but everyone did get in. And was it worth it! I felt like I was seeing "House of Dark Shadows" for the first time -- and it was the first time I had seen it on the big screen. There were countless details I had never seen before, mostly in the background of the rooms at Lyndhurst. The filming was much more interesting than I had remembered; I especially liked the textures, depths, light and shadows of in the many scenes that had fires flickering in fireplaces, such as at the Blue Whale (not sure if that was what it was in the movie). I had never seen the textures and dimensionality of the ornate carvings, paintings, etc. of Lyndhurst and the Old House interiors (not sure where that was shot). The music also set the mood in a completely unique way, especially the first half hour or so of the movie. The music score was clear as a bell, resonant and effective - again, I had never heard it this way before. Also, many details of the acting - for example, Joan Bennett's control of her character through her facial expressions - came through very vividly on the big screen. At the same time, the print seemed a bit on the dark and murky side, but I can't be sure that the movie wasn't supposed to be "dark and murky." Some of the color may have been washed out. There was some scratching to the audio around the pool scene with David, and at a couple of other points later in the movie. I can't speak at all to the aspect ratio, other than that it wasn't what I would call the widest of widescreens, but I assume this is the way the movie was filmed.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
My footage is up on youtube......
www.youtube.com/jayteevideo
thanks to DAVID NAHMOD i was able to obtain a press pass and get footage for his articles in various horror movie magazines. i was right there for the ceremony. Frid gave no speach and did not stay long. i do have more footage that i will be releasing on dvd later and also will be available on my online theatre. there is at least 1 more video posted on youtube. just do a search on youtube for "vista frid"

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »
here is a picture from the ceremony.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
another picture from the ceremony

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »
the handprint and frids initials

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 11:01:43 AM »
Thanks, Joe!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
You're wonderful Joe, thanks!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
I can't speak at all to the aspect ratio, other than that it wasn't what I would call the widest of widescreens, but I assume this is the way the movie was filmed.

Do you remember if you could see the nurse when Julia addresses her? For years I though Dan Curtis was too cheap to pay Terrayne Crawford that day and just had Julia address her offscreen. This was  years before I learned about cropping of films for TV. Later I realized you can see Terrayne in the mirror that's in the room, if you look carefully. Of course you do see her when she has her only line, "I've got the blood here doctor". There's an earlier scene where Julia calls her Miss Shepherd (Sp?) and is seemingly talking to mid-air.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
Thanks for the video and pics. Wonderful!