Author Topic: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!  (Read 8448 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the reports on the screenings!  How I wish I could have been there.  The Castro Theater is such a gorgeous place.

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »
a picture of the schedule for "shock it to me" 2008 more pictures to come later......

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »
picture of the castro theatre marquee on saturday. more pictures coming soon....

David

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
 [hall2_smiley]

What a joy it was to see that marquee on one of my neighborhood theatres!

David

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 01:37:09 AM »
The Castro is an incredible theater, and everything about the event was of an extremely professional, warm, and highly satisfying.  The opportunity to screen both films on a screen as huge, and an environment so resplendent is an extreme rarity.  Naturally, I've seen the films dozens (and dozens in the case of NODS) of times, several times on the big screen, but this is the best presentation I've ever seen of them.  The experience reiterates the power of the big screen experience.  Those giant close-ups of eyes and faces, and zooms have such more drama and power, and the atmosphere of the locations are so much more atmospheric when one is allowed to see them at a large scale.

NODS benefited particularly in this regard, and it played extremely well with an audience, quiet and in suspense during the majority, laughter at the right parts, etc.  that should only help to boost its underratd reputation.

To have the opportunity to showcase the deleted material and the restored bits on a screen of that size, is a first for me, and gives one a greater sense of how things work and a clearer idea of the work yet to come and its needs...

On the HODS print, I would like to make a couple brief comments-- not so much as a defense, but as an explanation that I think will be of interest...

While the print was an IB Technicolor print, it should be stated that the film was not shot in Technicolor (by the 70s nothing was), but printed in Technicolor.  Films shot in Technicolor means three-strip negatives and were mostly produced in the 40s and 50s.  Gone w/the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Cobra Woman, etc. were shot this way and in this era, Technicolor had extreme requirements for color values, Most were of an extremely vivid, bold, and vibrant pallette...

Now, it's not necessary to have filmed a movie in 3-strip Technicolor in order to release prints in that format.  Essentially what the difference is in color accuracy and fading.  Technicolor prints use actual color dyes (like a newspaper or book) that are impressed onto the film in layers (red, green, blue) instead of being developed photochemically.  While there's the occasional bad print produced, the accuracy of the finished colors to the photographer's intentions is (was) Technicolor's primary concern in making these kinds of prints.  All 60s and 70s films shot in Eastmancolor are extremely prone to fading, which shows as a gradual loss of color, fading more and more pinkish, to reddish.  IB Technicolor prints do not fade, meaning it will look the same today, is it did back when it was fresh from the lab, and will retain it's color values, ad infinitum.   (to be continued below)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 01:55:27 AM »
Basically, one can usually count on an original Technicolor print to be an accurate rendition of the filmmaker's original intentions.  For example, current DVDS and digital restorations of Gone w/the Wind have a much bolder vivid color pallette, while Selznick and co's original intentions (as verified by original Technicolor prints that survive) were of a film with a slightly more sepia look to it, and tones that would probably be considered a bit flat by today's standards...

The HODS IB Tech print that was screened should, most likely, be considered an accurate representation of the color design of the film, though it was at times surprising, for one used to video transfers, and the print that Warners made in the early 90s (it's the one that's been shown around the country for the last 10 or so years, including the Vista).  The print had vivid red title cards that were very readable, blues throughout had a coolness and a tangible electric presence (a Technicolor specialty), especially police cars, Grayson's horrible blue housedress,etc. but other colors were a bit muted, as were faces.  Liz's yellow dress was still yellow and gross, but not as horrid and garish as one is used to.  While this was initially surprising, it caused other aspects to seem smoother or correct... For example, Carolyn looks particuarly pale and deathly here, especially when she's found by Mrs. Johnson.  The look of the film is darker, which seems to make the day for night effects more convincing and the interiors of Collinwood seem more shadowier.  In fact, the murkier interiors and darker shadings are more evocative of the cinematographer's previous film, The Boys in the Band, with no backlighting, or highlights, allowing the edges of characters to blend with the shadows behind them.  What was particuarly interesting were the reds.  While newer prints and videos make the blood appear like paint, the darker timing here, made the blood appear more like blood.  One additional benefit was that the shot of Willie walking Carolyn back to the house, which was horribly underexposed when filmed, did not stick out.  Other transfers and prints have brightened the shot a bit, which has made it seem extremely noisy and grainy.  The darker color timing here, helped hide the grain and made the shot stick out less than I've ever seen it before.

While personally, I would prefer more saturated fleshtones and warmer browns, I think there's a strong benefit and intention to some of the color design in the print, and while I certainly don't have the say-so, if pressed, I'd color balance future video transfers with a mix of the two ideas-- garish colors, but more realistic reds, darker shadows, etc. 

I'm glad there was an opportunity to show it to an audience.

David

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 02:01:56 AM »
I know the guy who does the Shock It 2 Me shows.
I'm going to suggest that he do the DS films again, with Frid & Selby in attendance.
That might sell the house out!

David 

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »
Personally, I'd love to be able to come back in a few years to premiere a fully restored version of NODS.  It'd be my top venue choice for a premiere.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 05:50:46 AM »
the video transfer for h.o.d.s. done by crest national (where i used to work)was excellent and color corrected and i think it is the transfer used for the laser disc but it wasnt used for the vhs release. i only hope the color corrected transfer used for the laser disc is also used for the dvd release. heres another picture from the event......

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 05:53:47 AM »
another picture..... John Stanley, KLS + LP on stage at the castro

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2008, 05:56:20 AM »
2 more.... KLS + LP

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2008, 06:01:06 AM »
Great photos, Joe. Thanks so much for sharing them.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
Thanks, Darren, for sharing the details about the Technicolor print you screened of hoDS.  It's too bad that DVD reviewers don't seem to pay as much attention to inaccurate color palettes as they do to screen ratios--but such is life.

The shot of Carolyn slumped on the floor discovered by Mrs J looks somehow specially filtered or graded on the videotape I have (which is derived from the laserdisc).  Whatever technique Ornitz used for that shot really packed a visual punch, I thought.  I appreciated your remarks comparing his work on hoDS with his previous work on Boys/Band. 

My congratulations to you on presiding over such a triumphant event!

best wishes,

Steve

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
Thanks, Joe, for those photos.  Looks as if the ladies were having a wonderful time.

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
Warners made a new HD transfer of HODS fairly recently.  It's the source of the recent Chillre broadcasts, so whatever that looks like is how the DVD will look like.