Author Topic: i ran into marie...  (Read 3924 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i ran into marie...
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:29:51 AM »
literally.today.on the street in new york.at 60th and madison.i ran face to face into marie wallace...

i stopped her("excuse me ma'am"),introduced myself(even though we've met before)and told her what a huge fan i was of her and of dark shadows.

she was so nice.charming in fact.more than willing to spend five minutes chatting on the street with a fan of a forty year old show she appeared in.

i know we're supposed to keep "unconfirmed" information to a minimum but she did tell me she'd be at this year's fest,as well as jonathan frid,and lara parker and kathryn leigh scott too(all i believe have already been announced).she also "thought" john karlen might show up too.

i had a similar encounter with diana millay a few years ago and also spotted donna mckechnie but didn't approach.

funny but i see everybody where i work and am so jaded i don't bat an eye but i returned slightly giddy after my encounter with ms. wallace. [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: i ran into marie...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:42:39 AM »
Nice! I've spoken with her several times, as I know many people have because she's so outgoing with the fans, and I'm just amazed at how charming and warm she always is. It doesn't surprise me that she was so friendly on the streets of Manhattan and I'm really happy for you to have had the experience away from the Fests. LOVE her! [easter_kiss]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:20:48 AM »
I have always heard Marie is the best! I hope to met her one day at a fest....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
Isn't she just the sweetest, most charming person?  I will never forget meeting her at the one and only DS Fest I attended back in '03.  She called me and my friends over to her table (it was the last one in line and nobody had made it that far yet), saying:  "Hey, boys, I'm lonely here!  Come and talk to me!"  And so we did for a long time.  She gave us her undivided attention, and we gabbed about a myriad of things.  She and a friend of mine discovered that they both had involvement for the same cause (pediatric AIDS) and she gave him her card, telling him if she could ever be of any help to call her.  And, of course, we got the must-have autograph and photo shot with her.  We would've just stayed and continued on kvetching with her until Robert Rodan, whose table was nearby, shouted:  "Hey, Marie, stop hogging all the fans and send them over here!"  Marie is just fantastic, the absolute best!

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing that story Gerard and what a lovely cause for her to be working for.  We need more Marie Wallace's in this crazy world of ours..... [easter_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
Funny to find this thread here since last night I watched the Jay Nass interview on one of the DVDs and he was talking about Marie and how even back in the old days she always had extra minutes to spare for the fans!

She's a wonderful, generous woman, and I'll never forget how electric she was onstage when she did a one-act set in a bar up on stage one year at a Festival.  Sheer brilliance.

G.

David

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »
When I lived in NYC I ran into Marie a few times.
She always greeted me by name, smiled & chatted.
She's wonderful!
(-:

David

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »

funny but i see everybody where i work . [easter_rolleyes]

You do run into everybody when you're out and about dontcha? As I recall-- [easter_grin]
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »
yes!

and if you'll recall i'm not shy.  [easter_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
No you were lovely after I realized you weren't hitting me up for change or subway directions (which I always give btw).    [ghost_blink]
Julia99

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
Oh you all make my yearnings to live in NYC that much greater...........:daydreaming:   [peace]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 05:39:19 AM »
Me too. I was there in very weird limited circumstances in 1965 and 1991.  I'm the kind of person who ought to have made his way out of suburbs to something more urban decades ago.

Okay, the remaining question is how these two DS fans managed to run into each other by accident in NYC ....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:50 AM »
That sort of thing just never happens in L.A., sigh.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 05:47:20 AM »
That's where you are?  I shall attempt to remember that.  I've spent time in the northern half of that fictional land known as California (it was named after a fictional place in a novel, did you know that?).
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 06:24:59 AM »
Yes, I've read that it's a possible source.  But I didn't know you'd spent some time on the left coast.  Cool!