Author Topic: i ran into marie...  (Read 3925 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: i ran into marie...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »
Yes Midnite, in 1979 and 1981-82, Berkeley.  I literally get odd dreams pulling me back there still.   It must represent something very important to me.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:43:25 AM »
Okay, the remaining question is how these two DS fans managed to run into each other by accident in NYC ....

Odd as it seems, I can see it.  I had a similar adventure  back in 89.  I was working in Rockefeller Center that summer and fall, until the company moved up here to Westchester.  I was at that time involved in Blakes 7 fandom, and was involved in a couple clubs for the show, one of which had only had a couple meetings out on Long Island.

I'm minding my business one day and who do I see walking through Rockefeller Center on her way back to work but Sharyn, whom I had met at these meetings in LI.  We both did a double take, since we were wearing business suits and NOT the blue jeans and t shirts that most fans live in when not working.  Turned out she was at that time working in the Chase headquarters on 6th Avenue.  All the people who pass through Rockefeller Center every day, and that day we both happened to be crossing it at the same time in such a way to spot each other.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 01:24:33 AM »
I can see people who know each other meeting up accidentally in a big city.  It happens a lot.

My best friend, Kay Fry, used to be involved in DS fandom until 1986. Up until that time, she met a lot of DS people and afterwards, when fans would come to my house, met more. One of them was Dale Clark, a long time DS fan in Texas who published a fanzine Inside the Old House (or something like that).

Anyway, Kay went down to Dallas to attend a conference for the company she was working for.  One afternoon she decided to leave the hotel during a conference break and walk around the gardens.  There was Dale Clark giving an informal lecture to a group of people on raising butterflies. That's what he does for a living - raise, sell and lecture on butterflies.  They couldn't believe they were seeing each other under such completely random circumstances.

nancy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 01:11:53 AM »
i didn't want to start a new thread for this but yesterday i spotted an ancient abe vigoda crossing the street.

good grief how old is this man!? wasn't he already old as dirt when he played that silversmith(ezra braithwaite was it?)forty years ago?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 01:30:22 AM »
Nope, AG was younger than Jonathan Frid back then.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 01:38:32 AM »
Actually, he was only in his forties when he was on DS.  Abe Vigoda was just one of those actors who looked "old" and got to play those parts of characters years and even decades older than his real age (and because of his youth could do it for a long time).  He's in his later eighties now.  Even Angela Landsbury was able to easily pull off the much-older-look when need be.  In The Manchurian Candidate, she was only a few years older than the actor who played her adult son.

On DS, we had performers who could appear much older or younger when aquired and did it well.  One I can quickly think of is Lara Parker.  In 1795/96, she was probably not much older than Josette (21).  In the Leviathan story line, she was closer (it seemed to me) to 30.  In Parallel Time, she was at least 30.  And don't forget how believable Carolyn looked as a woman close to 50 in 1995.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 03:50:54 AM »
Since he couldn't take Abe to LA with him, a tearful Conan O'Brien-- in his final Late Night show-- released Abe into the wild (Central Park, actually) to be with his own kind, lol.  Abe turned around once as he was leaving and Conan yelled, "No, just go!"  Later in the show, he said Abe was in his backyard chewing on a bone.  Too funny!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:10 PM »
I so wish I could pick up NBC here.   Conan's still great apparently.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »
Aww to live in The Big Apple!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 02:22:37 AM »
To live in the Pacific Northwest, I must really be in the boonies. :)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 02:56:58 AM »
To live in the Pacific Northwest, I must really be in the boonies. :)

That's where I need to be, for health reasons and more.  I haven't seen you here for awhile, welcome back!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 12:04:40 AM »
it happened yet again...

barbara blackburn(1991 carolyn)came into the store where i work and i was so bold as to say hello and introduce myself as a fan.

she was very nice and we had a pleasant,if brief,chat about her work on the '91 series.

one thing she did say was that dan curtis tried to follow too closely the plot of the original series(he was "in love" with it)without "updating it"(whatever the heck that means)and that perhaps for that reason it "bombed"(her word not mine).

but she did seem to have gotten a kick out of the experience and said that she had recently seen joanna going(victoria).

nice.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 12:45:46 AM »
Well that is awesome Msbryk! I think everyone pretty much knows I am a child of the revival and the show started it all for me!  I had wondered what was up with her these days! I don't think she acts much anymore or so she doesn't have any credits on IMDB past 1995! Maybe she is doing stage work?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »
I'm not sure if she's currently acting but I did have the pleasure of seeing Barbara do her one woman show, Extreme Girl. It's a one woman show where she plays 9 different parts, from a sullen, Gothic teen to a dominatrix to a member of the Bimbo Liberation Movement. Her work on DS only showed a small part of her talent. She was awesome. And she wrote Extreme Girl. I liked it so much that I eventually saw it four times. And I'd see it again in a heartbeat. Nice, friendly lady as well.
Fade Away and Radiate