Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0803  (Read 1917 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0803
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0803
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:48:39 AM »
The opening of the show seems to mark a new direction in that it says that the Count has wished them all evil and each will learn the truth about themselves and one by one be destroyed.
Excellent drawing room scene with Edward and Quentin.  One would think that Edward would be more willing to believe Quentin after all that has happened, but he seems to suffer from the same thickheadedness as his grandson Roger in these matters.
Why did Petofi send Beth to Barnabas?  Quentin is upset with Beth when he is promised to marry to Angelique? 
Now Edward seems to have lost his mind.   I have no recollection of watching these last few shows.  I do remember that we went on vacation to Disneyland and when I got back I was totally confused as to what was going on so I'm guessing that these are the shows I missed.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Jamison/Petofi kissed Beth, causing her to reveal the truth about Barnabas and think he was calling her.
2. Jamison/Petofi kissed Edward, causing him to believe he was a servant!
3. Quentin tried to do an incantation to make Petofi's spirit leave Jamison, but it didn't work.
4. Edward called Dr. Brooks to examine Jamison/Petofi, but the doctor found nothing wrong with him.
5. When Edward pulled Jamison/Petofi's glove off, his hand appeared to be missing, too!

I thought it was great when Quentin yelled at Edward about how he treated Jenny. Quentin had every right to be angry with him!  [ghost_mad] Edward did not see the boy since the children were taken away!? He certainly didn't appear to care about them at that point; all he cared about was the "Collins family name". [smile_groan]

It was creepy how Jamison/Petofi was acting. [ghost_shocked] Whenever he gave someone the "kiss of truth", he knew what that truth was.  [ghost_smiley]

Poor Quentin was concerned about Beth and told her that he needed her. When Barnabas explained to him that he did not call her and that he hated what he was, Quentin backed off. They both knew all too well how it was to be a monster that couldn't be controlled. Quentin and Barnabas were kindred spirits.  [ghost_wink]

It's exciting to find out, one by one, what everyone's "truth" was. Quentin still hadn't figured out how dangerous Jamison/Petofi's kiss was.  [ghost_undecided]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06:09 AM »
That quick transition from befuddled child to manipulative adult at the moment when Jamison kisses his father, thereby passing the curse on to him, shows just what an extraordinarily fine child actor David Hennessy was. 

There's actually quite a bit of dark humor to much of this section as each character is forced to act in ways totally different from how they usually are.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:13:19 AM »
After Petofi called the residents of Collinwood "a group so willing to live lies" in the previous ep, one by one their lies have now begun to fall away while Quentin (the sole inhabitant who accepts the truth about himself; for the most part, anyway) is forced to watch.  Edward, who insists on perfect order and is compelled by pride to preserve the family name above all else, has become a solitary gentleman's gentleman.  And Beth's secret-- that she's in the thrall of her vampire master-- was brought out in the open, jeopardizing Quentin's trust in her (and in Barnabas, at least for a moment).

Since Edward was completely unaware that Quentin's son had died, does that mean he also doesn't know about Sandor?

And during his opening scene in the drawing room, a camera in the foyer passed across our view.

That quick transition from befuddled child to manipulative adult at the moment when Jamison kisses his father, thereby passing the curse on to him, shows just what an extraordinarily fine child actor David Hennessy was.

I thought that was pretty amazing too.  Louis Edmonds' portrayal of a servant was also inspired.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:01:43 AM »
I noticed that David Henesy has dropped the hoarseness that he adopted for the final scene of yesterday's show.  It's a shame.

I thought it was great when Quentin yelled at Edward about how he treated Jenny. Quentin had every right to be angry with him!
I thought Quentin was an idiot.  He runs off with another woman and abandons Jenny, and then he has the nerve to complain about how Edward treated her?  The only excuse I could think of for him was that he was so terribly upset about everything anyway, and he was just looking for an excuse to blow off steam.

What floor is Beth's room on?  It had what looked like French doors to the outside, but then Edward, in that room, told David to go downstairs.  Maybe Beth has some sort of balcony, but she's one pampered servant if she does.  And another question about geography: where is the bell pull in the drawing room usually located?  I could have sworn it's usually to the left of the fireplace, but today when Edward pulled it, it was to the right of the secret panel.

I don't know what to make of Barnabas's untruth to Quentin.  Barnabas indicated that the reason he bit Beth was that he needed blood, when in fact it was because he had to find out who the werewolf was.  Did Barnabas realize that he wasn't telling the truth to Quentin, or had he persuaded himself that the Beth-biting was about the need for blood and therefore basically Angelique's fault?

Jamison's lack of a right hand is a pretty extraordinary display of Count Petofi's power.  Petofi has not only possessed Jamison's mind, he has also altered Jamison's body.  What does Petofi need with that missing hand?  He's already capable of doing amazing magical stuff.  Oh, well, maybe...hmm...better not go there.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:59:45 AM »
Jamison's detached hand and Edward's reaction are one of my favorite DS moments.  For once, they present us with a genuinely shocking moment, and one which no person is really equipped to handle or respond to.   Just that look on his face, as Edward's struggling and failing to process.... your own son's hand just came off, in your hand!

[spoiler]Think about much later, wehen Petofi successfully b.s.'s Edward about how Barnabas was responsible foreverything.   What convoluted impulse would have led Barnabas to make that fake hand incident happen?[/spoiler]

Couldn't Beth's doors to the outside have been for a ground floor patio like place?   She wouldn't have had those in the first place.  Anyway, servants go downstairs apparently.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:34:19 AM »
Pre-I Ching, her small bedroom was upstairs in the West Wing.  But during the post-I Ching 1897, it's a much nicer room in the servants' quarters, which are located beyond the door that's under the staircase landing.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 04:24:00 AM »
I thought Quentin was an idiot.  He runs off with another woman and abandons Jenny, and then he has the nerve to complain about how Edward treated her?  The only excuse I could think of for him was that he was so terribly upset about everything anyway, and he was just looking for an excuse to blow off steam

Well, you can't really deny that Edward's admission that he never even bothered to check on the twins' welfare once in a while doesn't paint a flattering picture of him or his character. But I do agree with you that Quentin should have been thinking about his own treatment of Jenny before he started to point fingers.

I don't know what made Barnabas lie to Quentin....or did he? Granted he wanted to get the information about the werewolf from Beth, but he could also have been struggling with his bloodlust at the time. I don't know.