Author Topic: Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi  (Read 6393 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:52:30 AM »
I've seen the box that contained the hand of Count Petofi in two different places before it was used for the hand: on a table in the upstairs hall in the present time, and on a shelf in a bedroom in the Old House in 1795.  Has anybody seen in any other place?

Also, do we ever get a good look at the curved lid of the box?  I'd like to know if there's anything interesting painted on it.

What might the box have contained when it was not being used for the hand?  Did Mrs. Johnson keep a spare can of furniture polish in it?

Outside the Dark Shadows universe, where did the box come from?  Did Sy Tomashoff have it made specifically for the upstairs hall set?  Or was it purchased?  Has anybody ever come across a box like it?

Has anybody ever made copies of the box to sell?  I don't do collectables, but containers are useful, so I could be tempted to buy a copy of The Box.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
Put me down for a Petofi Box.   I've always wondered about the markings and whether they said something, too.  Then there is The Box That I Keep Mistaking For the Petofi Box, with a squarer or boxier lid.   I think the Petofi Box was also in Eve's room.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
I am suprised the box didn't ask for a raise considering she was used so much.  Of course it's not like Dan would have given her one. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
The box should've gotten together with the afghan and demanded collective bargaining. 

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:13:16 AM »
How and where do you look for the gender of the Petofi Box?

Does anyone remember when the Box was last seen in 1897 and/or what was supposed to have happened to it?  It may be that it was lost in Collinsport in 1897 and found later, and ended up in Collinwood in the 1960s.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »
When I first seen the box, I thought it was an antique box made of hand-craved wood and they used it on the set.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:36:55 AM »
Dear Magnus

I thought it was common for people to refere to inanimate objects in the female tense/  For ex.  The Titanic was sinking quickly as she went down in 2 1/2 hours.  "How your new car doing?" Man 1 "Aww man she is doing fine" Man 2   Maybe it's a southern thing!  I don't know.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:35:15 AM »
Does anyone remember when the Box was last seen in 1897 and/or what was supposed to have happened to it?
It's been a while since I've seen these episodes, but that last time I can clearly remember seeing the box is when...
[spoiler]...Tim Shaw gives it, wrapped like a present, to Nora to hide for him. She gets curious and opens the package, but can't get the box open. Jamison, who's possessed by Petofi at this point, snatches it from her and takes the hand to Petofi's body to reattach it so he can be restored or something to that effect.[/spoiler]
I don't remember what happens to it after that. Since there's still a good bit of story left, it's likely that it shows up again and I just can't remember it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:16:11 AM »
I like Magnus's idea that the box was lost in 1897 and ended up at Collinwood in the 1960s without anybody knowing its history, but it doesn't account for what the box was doing in the Old House in 1795.  Searching through my Watching Project posts, I found that it was episode 396 in which I noticed the box there:
And now Angelique has lost control of the entity, with nothing to say why.   I keep wondering if it has something to do with the Hand of Count Petofi, the box for which was on a shelf in the bedroom today, I noticed.

The story on Count Petofi, if I remember correctly, was that the gypsies cut the hand off him 100 years before the 1897 action, which would make it 1797, i.e. after the box was seen at the Old House.  But my impression was that Petofi had never been to Collinsport before 1897, and that the hand was cut off in the Forest of Ozhden (or however it was spelled).  And Magda went on about how special the box was.  Sometimes I would just about kill for a chance to have been a fly on the wall at the Dark Shadows studio and to hear what the actors said at the time about the lines they were given.

Taeylor, my understanding is that the inanimate objects that get referred to as “she” are moving vehicles that can be driven or piloted around – cars, boats, planes.  That makes it not a Southern thing but a Sexist thing.  I remember when I bought my first car and named it Willie, after Willie Loomis.  The guy from whom I bought it expressed surprise that I had not given it a feminine name.  I told him no, the car was masculine, so I could dominate it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »
Well far be it from me to be SEXIST.  I will never say that again as I hate any form of that nonesene!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:30 AM »
Don't worry, Taeylor, I wasn't accusing you!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »
I am not worried my GODDESS I just didn't realize it had to do with sexism.

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:37:17 PM »
i've been watching the 'beginning' dvd sets - i'm about halfway through the third set. think i just saw the count petofi box in the hallway of collinwood just outside vicki's room, but i can't remember which episode. did it show up that early?

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »
i've been watching the 'beginning' dvd sets - i'm about halfway through the third set. think i just saw the count petofi box in the hallway of collinwood just outside vicki's room, but i can't remember which episode. did it show up that early?
I think so! I believe I spotted it a time or two in some of the black and white episodes. I know the box was there long before Count Petofi and his hand.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:57:24 AM »
The box should've gotten together with the afghan and demanded collective bargaining.

LOL....great comment, but we all know how Dan felt about unions....