Author Topic: Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi  (Read 6396 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 09:00:27 AM »
The box shows up in episode 821, when King Johnny comes to Collinwood for the hand.  As he opens the box – or else as Magda opens it – I paused the DVD to look at the lid.  There's definitely writing there.  I recognized a letter from the Sinhalese alphabet (dha, which looks sort of like a rounded w with an extra long and curvy upswing at the end) but not any other Sinhalese letters, so it may be from a related alphabet that I'm not familiar with.  On the other hand, it's been nearly thirty years since I studied Sinhalese, so I may just not have recognized other Sinhalese letters – but I'm betting it's a more mainstream Indian language.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
You studied Sinhalese?!

Anyway, this isn't the clearest.  Sorry about that.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 06:21:55 AM »
I would definitely buy a replica of the Count Petofi box, too. Wish we knew more about it (the actual prop, that is).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 09:13:56 AM »
Thanks for the capture, Midnite!  I've e-mailed it to a Sri Lankan friend in the hope that even if it isn't Sinhalese, she might recognize a related alphabet.  Her family has been friends with mine for 50 years, which (along with my love of learning foreign languages) is why I studied Sinhalese.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 02:38:31 AM »
I like where this story is going, Lydia!   I sense an adventure coming!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
My Sri Lankan friend e-mailed back that the picture was too blurry for her to make anything out.  Does anybody have a sharper picture of the lid of the box?  I'd like see if we can give Magnus a happily-ever-after ending to the story.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »
The box showed up at the gypsy tribunal that the I Ching staged for Count Petofi in episode 841.  I'm waiting with bated breath to find out if this its last appearance as the hand container.

The square box that didn't contain the hand shows up in Quentin's room around this time.  I think it was in episode 838, when I was hoping for a second sighting of the picture of the mustachioed man.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
Midnite and Magnus saw the box (the real box) in Millicent's room in 886.  I didn't spot it, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I watch that episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
In the end of episode 924, and its repeat in 925, we see the box in its old familiar place, outside the room that was once Vicky's and is now Maggie's.  Is it chagrined or is it relieved to be out of the limelight and home again once more?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »
Something terrible is inside just waiting to be unleashed i'm sure.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
We see the box on the table in the upstairs hall in episode 959, behind a certain ghostly figure.  And I think I noticed it in the hall a few episodes before that, but I forgot to note it down.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
The box is shown in the drawing room, and it is filled with hat pins.  It is later in the PT story. I won't says who hat pins they were.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »
Maybe Lydia should start a new thread for the PT Petofi Box, since it's not really the same box, but a similar box which has made different choices early in its life...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
Magnus, as lori54 demonstrated back in September 2008, I am not the only cousin who can start a Prop Project topic.  If you want a topic on the parallel time box, by all means make one.  I advise you, however, to think long and hard before you do so.  Are you sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the box seen in parallel time is indeed a different box from the one seen in our own time band?  I haven't yet noticed the parallel time box myself, but I gather from what lori54 said that it looks just like the box we have seen in our own time.  Therefore the box could be moving between parallel time and our own time, having possibly been endowed with special powers when it was the receptacle for Count Petofi's hand, and in fact it could be that it is the box that causes the connection between parallel time and our own.

I am reasonably sure that the drawing room sofa in parallel time is different from the drawing room sofa in our own time, and I'd even venture to guess that the PT sofa, with its sexy curves, is the sofa that married and had children, while the RT sofa, with its angles and strange knobs, is the sofa that went to med school and briefly experimented with using a football helmet as a wig, but again, how can anybody be sure?  As Taeylor noted a while back in a Watching Project topic, makeup can make quite a difference in appearance.  And if we can't be sure about the drawing room sofa (or sofas), we certainly can't be sure about the box.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »
Episode 1043 is the first episode in which the box is used to hold the hatpins.