Author Topic: Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
I personally think Barnabas "knew" Julia loved him especially after [spoiler]WILLIE (of all people, which makes one love him more) points it out to Barney when she is being attacked by Tom.[/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 12:24:12 AM »
I'm sure Barnabas knew - he just didn't seem to return the feelings. I think he really cared about her in the end, but wasn't in love with her. He wasn't blind, he just didn't reciprocate.

I've been the Barnabas in a situation, and you can't force feelings that you don't have. Maybe one day he would have loved her like she did him, maybe not. You can be a close friend to someone and love them, and not be in love with them.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »
I personally believe toward the end of the show Barnabas was realizing he indeed did loved Julia.  He just wouldn't state it because of the curse.  I choose to believe Barney had drank a bunch of absinthe the day he told[spoiler] Angelique he loved her.[/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 01:12:10 AM »
Taeylor, you nailed the situation perfectly.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 01:20:08 AM »
Thank you "Daaaaahling" as Grayson would say! :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 05:28:09 AM »
I think many a Julia-Barnabas fan would argue he did love her (and give examples particularly in the last one to two years of the show) but she didn't fit into his 'ideal' woman, being independent, bossy, argumentative not compliant, shy and retiring or 22. . .so when it is said "come to his senses" it is meant that he has a moment of self-realization about that aspect not about how he feels but his own acceptance of it--  IMO  [ghost_wink]

I agree with Barnabas'sBride, but this is a good argument.   I'd add that abother possibility is that with Barnabas's life extension via vampirism, and all the time-traveling, a sense may have been created in his head that he's going to live forever, and that therefore his options are limitless, therefore he can just keep searching for some abstract, perfect (for him), youthful ideal.   He might be a bit like a kid in a candy store.  Once he's lived with mortality for awhile (which he really never had a chance to do on DS), he could shift his expectations and begin looking at real people whom he feels close to, rather than some romantic fantasy.   

I think he would need some peace and quiet and to have the crises over for awhile to tell, which could never happen during DS.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 05:46:01 AM »
I think many a Julia-Barnabas fan would argue he did love her (and give examples particularly in the last one to two years of the show) but she didn't fit into his 'ideal' woman, being independent, bossy, argumentative not compliant, shy and retiring or 22. . .so when it is said "come to his senses" it is meant that he has a moment of self-realization about that aspect not about how he feels but his own acceptance of it--  IMO  [ghost_wink]
Well, you just saved me an explanation because that is what I was going for when I mentioned him coming to his senses.

A bit off topic, but notice how Barnabas' relationships with the "ideal" women you described always end in something very bad... [scratch]

I choose to believe Barney had drank a bunch of absinthe the day he told[spoiler] Angelique he loved her.[/spoiler]
I'm with you on this one too. I definitely believe that he feels something for her, and maybe that he does love her to a certain extent, but...
[spoiler]... I personally don't see her being his "one true love" and, even though she's dying right in front of him, I can't imagine him truly forgiving her for everything she's done to him and his family. I think he just felt it was the right thing for him to say at the time.[/spoiler]

Not sure if that really counts as spoilers, but just to be on the safe side...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but I suppose it bears saying again that practically since their inception it's been a tried and true plot twist on soaps to have enemies suddenly realize that under all that seething hate they've actually been in love with each other. However, more often than not the relationship never lasts because something eventually happens that breaks them up and 1) they become enemies again - sometimes even more bitter enemies, or 2) they decide to just remain friends. With[spoiler]Barnabas and Angelique in 1841,[/spoiler] all we got to see was the very beginning of the twist. But who knows how things would have played out had DS not ended when it did? I suspect alternative #1 because[spoiler]Barnabas and Angelique were just too fascinating on so many levels as enemies.[/spoiler]But we'll never know. But to me [spoiler]Barnabas confessing his love for Angelique never came as a surprise or the slightest bit out of character.[/spoiler]

As for Barnabas and Julia, I'm torn. I definitely enjoy them as friends (although, with friends like Barnabas, one isn't exactly on an equal playing field because he's never above resorting to grossly manipulative tactics when he's determined to get what he wants), but I also find them fascinating as enemies. DS came up with some great scenes during each phase of their relationship. And if truth be told, even when they're friends, it's not like their relationship is smooth sailing (with Barnabas, how could it ever be?).

The truth of the matter is that any relationship with Barnabas, regardless of who it is that's having it with him, is going to be complicated because he's such a complex and contradictory man. But that's also what makes him so fascinating. One may want to throttle him for any myriad of reasons, but he's never boring...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
The truth of the matter is that any relationship with Barnabas, regardless of who it is that's having it with him, is going to be complicated because he's such a complex and contradictory man. But that's also what makes him so fascinating. One may want to throttle him for any myriad of reasons, but he's never boring...

Well said MB! I agree with every word you say.  [ghost_wink]

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 11:09:32 PM »
well, mysterious benefactor, i don't know what i could possibly say. your post is just about exactly what i think too. know i'm in the minority, but i too never really found it out of character or that surprising when [spoiler]barnabas confessed his love to angelique.[/spoiler]after all they'd been through together, and the passion that had been between them, it's just the next logical step.

as to julia and barnabas - i like them as friends and as enemies, or even as frenemies, if you will. an example of this is a scene was just watching  in which julia first shows up with her short vidal sassoon-inspired haircut, and barnabas is being all fake nice to her, complimenting her on her new hair style (which he clearly hates), because he feels he needs someone on his side who knows his secret. (this was right after victoria returned from 1795).  it's just so beautifully done, and each of the actors play it perfectly. barnabas is such an ass-kisser in the scene, and you can tell julia sort of knows he's being insincere. this uneasy alliance between the characters is something that keeps me tuning in over and over again.

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
sorry about my previous post.  apparently i don't know how to use the spoiler feature.

tried to edit it so that it made a bit more sense, but i guess it took me too long to edit, because when i tried to save the changes, i got a msg. that said i wasn't allowed to edit because too much time had passed.

hope you can figure out what i was trying to say - sorry for my confusing, repetitive post. [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 02:01:20 AM »
Well I am no Barney but I could never love someone who murdered my family~~but that is just me.  I agree with tothe others MB that was a marvelous post!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 04:22:18 AM »
Barnabas might be able to [spoiler]forgive Angelique, but how could he then say that he loved her in the end.[/spoiler]What is the purpose of the war? Did he let his family be destroyed for no reason. I don't think so.

Barnabas could move forward with Julia. They had a strong friendship to build their life together. Julia had the brains to figure out his craziness most of the time.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 05:19:01 PM »
I personally think Barnabas "knew" Julia loved him especially after [spoiler]WILLIE (of all people, which makes one love him more) points it out to Barney when she is being attacked by Tom.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I actually think Barnabas picked up after Eric Lang died, and julia made a comment (can't remember now, but he did pick up on it and started to blather to her and she quickly turned to go do "research"[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »
Barnabas commented sarcastically on her attraction to him back in the vampire days when he was still semi-throttling her.   It was really our first indication of it.  That certainly came out of nowhere....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor