Author Topic: Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »
Barnabas showed his love and caring for Julia in so many ways. Maybe they were afraid
to have them come together, they would have had to find a new way to have a conflict
between them.

BUT....wouldn't julia have died?  i mean the curse clearly states that anyone who loves him will die.....HEY, wait a minute.   how come she never died.    perhaps she never loved barnabas, but it was a very clever ruse to get into maggie's skirts, how ever mini they were.

wow, i just realized that big inconsistancy. -

If the original Sam Evans had stayed around, i think that julia and he would have made a good couple.   i liked barnabas and julia as friends and/or enemies.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
It may have only been a matter of weeks between Julia developing this love for Barnabas (which considering the circumstances was awfully contrived at the time) and his cure by Lang, the first one with drugs, which must have interfered with the curse in a big way, if it didn't end it, which I guess it didn't.   The thing with Adam did.  Anyway, after a certain point the curse was over, and Julia was safe.   The Leviathans [spoiler]revampirization was separate from Ang's curse.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 06:21:07 AM »
Good point Magnus.  I hadn't thought about it that way!! 

EDIT:  OH MY GOODNESS!   I am a SENIOR POSTER!! I am have been watching for this for days.  I knew it had to be coming soon!!  I  am a senior poster, I am a senior poster!  *HAPPY DANCE* [blob6]  What is next?  Being a GOD.  Hmm...I like that idea! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 07:51:37 AM »
When you reach godhood, never forget the little people you squashed to get there!  I know I haven't!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »
Happy Seniorhood, Taeylor!  [milestone]

ProfStokes

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
Maybe the unique MoJo Julia had to keep the Leviathan curse at bay kept Angelique's curse from afflicting her. . .in fanfiction there have been some intriguing ideas regarding Julia's family history tied to others who'd lived at Collinwood.. .you know maybe a connection to Magda or others--

Anyway the writers didn't worry about it. .why do we?
Julia99

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 01:46:41 PM »
I rather like the unrequited love that Julia feels for Barnabas...it makes for great tension and character development.  Julia never suffered the curse of loving Barnabas since Angelique understood that he never would and perhaps never could return those feelings of Julia's.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »
Congratulations to our newest senior member!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »
Well I persoanlly care about a lot of things the writers didn't care about Julia99 but that is just me!  And thanks for the congrats everyone!! :) [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 05:34:16 AM »
Tough, but I think I liked the close relationship that developed between them best. I really liked that not only was there some unrequited love there, but they were also great friends (and occasionally co-conspirators). Of course, sometimes you just want to pound some sense into Barnabas' head after Julia keeps getting passed up for the next "Josette" that turns up. She saved his butt so many times and all she ever got was "Julia, I can't tell you how grateful I am." [rleyeb]
Of course, I kind of feel like, deep down, he really did love her... but that's me.

However, their early relationship was definitely interesting! I loved the dynamic between them while they were at each others throats. Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall had such great chemistry, so I really think all of their characters, in whatever situation, were wonderful together.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 06:57:04 AM »
Quote from: Joy Collins
However, their early relationship was definitely interesting! I loved the dynamic between them while they were at each others throats. Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall had such great chemistry, so I really think all of their characters, in whatever situation, were wonderful together.

I couldn't have said it better my self dear!! :) [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
Of course, sometimes you just want to pound some sense into Barnabas' head after Julia keeps getting passed up for the next "Josette" that turns up. She saved his butt so many times and all she ever got was "Julia, I can't tell you how grateful I am."

If Barnabas decides to be sensible, what does he do about this?  Is love a decision you consciously make based on sense?

I think Ang's curse about Barnabas-lovers dying was just part of the vampire curse.   Vampirism or side-issues relating to it was how those people would die.   The Leviathans didn't reinstate Ang's curse, at least they never said they had to, to make someone a vampire.  Sure, the Ang Curse was again an issue in 1897 and 1840, but he'd gone back in time.   Her curse was still on him back then.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 04:05:26 PM »
If Barnabas decides to be sensible, what does he do about this?  Is love a decision you consciously make based on sense?

I think many a Julia-Barnabas fan would argue he did love her (and give examples particularly in the last one to two years of the show) but she didn't fit into his 'ideal' woman, being independent, bossy, argumentative not compliant, shy and retiring or 22. . .so when it is said "come to his senses" it is meant that he has a moment of self-realization about that aspect not about how he feels but his own acceptance of it--  IMO  [ghost_wink]
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
Sadly, Barnabas isn't very well equipped in the self-realization department. Such moments of clarity are few and far between for him - and usually far too late in the game.  [sad3]

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
I think that many of us can relate to the one sided love story of Barnabas and Julia. Julia was so in love with Barnabas and he didn't even have a clue. Barnabas was blind to Julia's love for him because he was always searching for his Josette. This is a wonderful love story that kept me hanging on and wishing that Barnabas would wake up and smell the coffee but it never happened. I'm still holding out for this love story to continue in the new film.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.