Author Topic: Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?  (Read 5567 times)

IluvBarnabas

Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:26:02 PM »
I know many on here enjoy them so much when they were at each other's throats during the early days of their relationship and again when they're at odds during the Leviathan storyline, and I too was entertained watching them go up against each other, but I also enjoyed watching how their relationship developed and they became so much closer as time went by (though not quite as close as Julia would have liked for sure!).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Barnabas and Julia....better as friends or enemies?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:58 PM »
I liked the as enemies in the Leviathan ep's best!! They were really worse (to me) than in the beginnings of their "relationship".  I think Barnabas deep down loved Julia.  I also think if the show "had" lasted it would have happend.   That one scene in "1995" gives us a bit of hope.  Well those of us who thought these two "BELONGED" together.

Okay to sum this up.  I like them best as friends.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:19 PM »
There are many of us who would say that if the story had continued, Barnabas and Julia would have been a couple.  There are great fan fiction stories with them as central characters and the writers portray them very accurately IMO.

I love the chemistry between Barnabas and Julia in any situation they found themselves i.e. as enemies, as co-conspirators, as adversaries, and as best friends.   Barnabas has proven time and again that he cared deeply for Julia but he could not say in so many words that he loved her as more than just friends.  With Julia, his affections grew slowly but steadily.  With all the other SYT, he just had to look at them and he said he loved them.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:48:33 AM »
IMHO, Barnabas and Julia made the show.  I liked them best as friends.  Would have loved it if they became more than friends.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:53:54 AM »
They did make the show IMHO as well.  That is GH for ya.  Introducing subtext that would be one of the driving points of the show's entire run.  GH..wherever you are.  We miss ya.  [ghost_wub]  Perhaps in our 2008 Parallel Time GH and JF are doing this week's Fest together or  have in our past PT.  Oh one can dream can't they?  Sorry that was random.  I just love Julia Barney GH and JF!  And I would probably say there isn't a PT.  Would be nice though.....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
I've always like Barnabas and Julia as friends and allies. But the one thing I cannot figure out is when
Barnabas felt betrayed by Julia and he used some power to make Julia believed she is being haunted
by Dr. Woodard and after the 1795 Flashback, Barnabas wanted Julia's help again. But she must have
agreed when Barnabas and Vicki had that car accident and Julia made a phone call for an ambulance
to get Barnabas out of the hospital before sunrise.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »
No, I don't think Julia had agreed to anything, but when someone you love is in an accident, you don't put conditions on saving his life.

As for the original question...I can't come up with a preference at the moment.  Barnabas is more interesting when he's bad, so that sort of pushes me towards preferring them to be enemies, but that's not really an applicable consideration.  I'm trying to remember a situation in which they were enemies and Barnabas was the good guy and Julia was the bad guy, and the only one I can think of is parallel time, which doesn't count because the Julia was PT Julia, not RT Julia.  If RT Julia were the bad guy and Barnabas were the good guy, would I enjoy it as much as the other way around?  I suspect I would.  Good Julia would never destroy Bad Barnabas because she couldn't bear to, but would Good Barnabas destroy Bad Julia for the good of the Collins family?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »
I like conflicted Barnabas.   If he's just "bad" that has limited appeal for me, and if he's just plain "good" that gets boring too.    In 1795 before being bitten I like plain old good Barnabas a lot, though.   My favorite time is early 1897 where part of him is his vampire self and part is his reformed self.   

Seeing Barnabas and Julia at odds with Leviathans just made me uncomfortable and unhappy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
I wouldn't have minded seeing Barnabas and Julia in real conflict late in the show. Leviathans has never counted for me because Barnabas was brainwashed and wasn't himself. The conflict was artificial. It didn't even do anything for me to see him portrayed as "bad" again, because it wasn't even his choice or decision.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »
I liked them better as friends, for sure. Mainly because I like them both a lot and like to root for them both simultaneously. I have to say though, when they were mad at each other, I tended to root for Julia. She's very clever a resourceful considering she has no supernatural powers!

Slightly off topic-- it became clear, at least eventually, that Julia loved Barnabas. Why didn't she die from the curse? Angelique didn't seem to specify what type of love it needed to be, because both Josette and Naomi died by the curse. Usually when one curses someone else, the curse sort of has a mind of its own and forces itself to be carried out. So eventhough Angelique didn't specifically try to harm Julia (too many times), it seems like she would die somehow ... Like get struck by lightning or something (especially with all the storms in Collinsport).
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:28:09 AM »
The curse is on or within Barnabas, so maybe he has to know someone loves him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »
some of my favorite scenes are the nights of 1967.

julia is working late at the old house and she and barnabas engage in some delicious cat-and-mouse dialogue.
i just love it.so if not necessarily "enemies" i prefer them at least in some way conflicted.it's more complex and interesting to me than when she's sort of functioning as his assistant and time travel companion.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:22 AM »
I think my all time favorite is when Julia is hurt and Barnabas carries her into the old house and gently sets her down in the chair by the fire.  Just the look of concern and caring on his face gets me everytime.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:48 AM »
I think the writers forgot about the conflict between Barn and Julia before 1795.

GH did some great acting before 1795. You could feel the conflict.

All the sweet young things, got a little lame.  It was like the writers were just trying to
make conflict with Barn and Julia.

Barnabas showed his love and caring for Julia in so many ways. Maybe they were afraid
to have them come together, they would have had to find a new way to have a conflict
between them.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 03:23:03 AM »
I don't know offhand about any love relationships that were interesting onscreen.   Romantic movies always end with the wedding, and that's probably wise.