Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #181  (Read 6371 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Shadowgram Update #181
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »
Number 181.  February 22, 2008.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

**** SHADOWGRAM PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:

JONATHAN FRID TO JOIN DARK SHADOWS RESURRECTED EVENT -
THIS SUMMER IN BURBANK, CALIFORNIA

The Dark Shadows Festival Presents DARK SHADOWS RESURRECTED, to be held the weekend of July 18, 19 & 20, 2008, at the Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, 2500 Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505-1019.

Call the hotel directly at 818-843-6000 for discount hotel room rates. You must mention "Dark Shadows" to receive the reduced rate.

GUESTS

Extra Special Guest: JONATHAN FRID

Also presently confirmed to appear in person: LARA PARKER, JOHN KARLEN, KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT, JERRY LACY, MARIE WALLACE, CHRIS PENNOCK, ROBERT RODAN, ROBERT COBERT, and SY TOMASHOFF. Other guests to be announced.

ACTIVITIES

--- Cast Reunion & Autographs
--- Jonathan Frid - Dramatic Readings
--- Question & Answer Sessions With The Stars
--- Original DS Actors Perform Unproduced 1968 Lost Episode
--- The Best Of Barnabas Retrospective
--- Panel Discussion About The New Johnny Depp DS Movie
--- Merchandise Sale
--- Memorabilia Auction
--- Rare Screenings
--- Costume Gala
--- Contests & More!

BANQUET WITH THE STARS

On Sunday, July 20, join the DS stars for a celebratory banquet dinner at 7:00pm in the Marriott ballroom. We will have a delicious three-course meal, followed by door prizes and after-dinner entertainment. Each banquet attendee also will receive a commemorative autographed photograph of Barnabas Collins, which will be personalized by Jonathan Frid.

The price of the banquet WILL BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY. Reservations will be required through the DS Festival.

HOTEL INFORMATION

The Marriott Burbank Airport & Convention Center is conveniently located across the street from the Burbank (Bob Hope) Airport. It is just 13 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles, 4 miles from the attractions of Hollywood, and 10 minutes from Universal Studios Hollywood.

Please call the hotel directly at 818-843-6000 for sleeping room reservations. Remember to mention "Dark Shadows" to receive the reduced room rate. For more information, go to: www.marriottburbankairport.com

Please note that the hotel will fill up fast. In fact, the Dark Shadows room block was full but the hotel has just released more rooms for availability now. When those are gone, fans will need to stay in other nearby hotels.

When the Marriott is sold out, please contact the following nearby hotels for sleeping rooms:
Ramada Burbank (www.ramadaburbank.com) 818-843-5955.
Extended Stay America (www.extendedstayamerica.com) 818-567-0952.
Quality Inn Burbank (www.qualityinn.com) 818-848-1680.

VOLUNTEERS & ROOMMATES

Help at the DS Celebration and attend a private party with DS stars. Please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Nina Johnson, 411 Victoria Dr., Columbia, MO 65201 or email: DS_Volunteers@hotmail.com.

If you're looking for hotel roommates, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Pam Jarman, P.O. Box 45674, Los Angeles, CA 90045 or email: PLJarman@hotmail.com

DARK SHADOWS RESURRECTED WEEKEND MEMBERSHIP RATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY

The ShadowGram Official Online Dark Shadows News Updates List will announce all Festival rates and provide regular e-mail updates with premiere announcements. Full information will be in upcoming SG print issues, including the new SG #112.

For advance information, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
Dark Shadows, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040.

A general postal mailing is expected to go out to DS fans later in March.

Please note that Jonathan Frid will only be appearing on Saturday, July 19 and Sunday, July 20, and that his autograph will only be available to those attending the banquet.

The Fest website www.darkshadowsfestival.com should be updated soon.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

FRIDAY, JULY 18

3:00pm  Registration Opens
6:00  Opening Announcements
6:30  ABC-TV Dark Shadows Episode with original commercials
7:00  Adam & Eve Together Again - Guests: Marie Wallace & Robert Rodan
7:45  Willie Remembers - Guest: John Karlen
8:30  A Visit With Angelique & Josette - Guests: Lara Parker & Kathryn Leigh Scott
9:15  Dark Shadows 2004 - The Lost TV Pilot
10:00  Skit I
10:30  Movie: House Of Dark Shadows
12:00am  Movie: Dan Curtis' The Norliss Tapes

SATURDAY, JULY 19

11:00am  DS Fan Videos/DS Music Videos
11:30  Dark Shadows In The Media
12:00  DS Video Vault: Joan Bennett on The Governor & J.J. (1970)
12:30  Dark Shadows Influences Video Tribute
1:00  Designing Shadows - Guest: Sy Tomashoff
1:30  The Music Of DS - Guest: Bob Cobert
2:00  DS Memorabilia Auction I
3:00  New DS Movie Discussion
3:30  DS Cast Reunion
4:30  The Best Of Barnabas - Guest: Jonathan Frid
6:00  Dark Shadows Rarities
7:00  Restoring Night Of Dark Shadows Highlights
7:30  Costume Gala/Skit II
9:00  Movie: Night Of Dark Shadows
11:00  Late Night Horror Classics

SUNDAY, JULY 20

11:00am  Dark Shadows Fan Panel
11:30  Dark Shadows Today
12:00  The World Of Parallel Time
12:30  Guest: Kathryn Leigh Scott
1:00  Guest: Lara Parker
1:30  The Many Faces Of Trask - Guest: Jerry Lacy
2:00  DS Memorabilia Auction II
3:00  Dark Shadows - Lost 1968 Script On Stage with The Actors
4:00  Jonathan Frid Dramatic Performance / Q&A Session
6:00  Final Autographs
7:00  Banquet Dinner With The Stars (By Advance Reservation Only)

Note:
Schedule and times are approximate and subject to change.
Guest appearances are subject to professional and personal commitments.

**** All fans attending the Fest are invited and encouraged to send their photos and reports to ShadowGram to be included in future SG print issues. In this way, fans who cannot attend (or who want to enjoy the weekend again) can share the event through your experiences. A complimentary Contributor's Copy SG published issue is given in appreciation for major contributions. Please send all materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses:

ShadowGram@aol.com

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766

**** Please Note: The new SG #112 edition of ShadowGram, The Official DS Newsletter & News Source, will be ready for all postal-mail subscribers very soon.

This SG #112 print issue will include confirmed detailed plans for the 2008 Fest in Burbank and information about the new DS film with Johnny Depp. There is extensive news directly from and about the DS cast/crew and their many projects, roles, and activities, including Ben Cross (1991 DS Barnabas) playing young Spock's father "Sarek" in the new "Star Trek" #11 movie. David Selby (Quentin) has a new book out and was a featured actor in the HBO series "Tell Me You Love Me" and a recent "Cold Case" episode. SG #112 also spotlights the 2007 DS Festival with many photos and details. This exciting event for DS guests and fans was notable for marking the return of Jonathan Frid (Barnabas) to the annual Fest gatherings after a 13-year absence. The new SG #112 print issue will feature all these and much more.

This Updates List will announce when the postal-mail SG newsletter is being published and mailed.

Subscription information for the ShadowGram Newsletter print issues follows. When your order arrives, I will send you the new SG #112 to start / renew your subscription. Subsequent issues will be sent to postal-mail subscribers as they are published..

Thank you.
Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #181
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:35:13 PM »
I am so excited about this lineup! I didn't think Jonathan Frid would go to another festival after last year. Of course, last year's was so heartwarming, and I was so grateful to be able to finally see him since I'd never attended the festivals he'd participated in years ago. It should be a fun time for all of us, and I can't wait.  [snow_grin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
Interesting that Selby's name isn't listed yet. Considering that this is Quentin's 40th Anniversary year, it would be a real shame if he doesn't attend...

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
Interesting that Selby's name isn't listed yet. Considering that this is Quentin's 40th Anniversary year, it would be a real shame if he doesn't attend...

He might be working on his HBO show and can't be with us that weekend. 

I like that they're trying to start the banquet earlier than they used it.  It always seemed to end so late and made it hard for everyone who had early flights the next day to enjoy one last night with friends. 
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
Please, what is this "lost 1968 script"?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
According to The Dark Shadows Almanac, there were four preliminary scripts from 1968 that were never produced. The book says, though, that some of the material in those scripts was utilized in the actual produced episodes. In order, they were episodes 628 through 631. All took place during the Adam/Eve storyline wherein Angelique was a vampire. As for which episode will be re-enacted during the festival, we'll have to see. I'm assuming these are the episodes they're talking about.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:24:25 AM »
All took place during the Adam/Eve storyline
That explains why they were lost.  [snow_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline mspeel007

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:45:02 AM »
Woo-Hoo!! Good times are to be had by ALL!!!!! [snow_bigglass]
And in the end...the love you take..is equal to the love you make.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »
Hurray!  [crowdhappy]  This is exciting news, (and I'm very impressed that they already have a tentative schedule prepared)! 

ProfStokes

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:09:36 AM »
This is great news! [clap2] Yes, indeed, it would be a shame if David Selby couldn't attend, especially since it Quentin's 40th Anniversary year. [sadg] But, it's great that Jonathan Frid will be there! [cheer]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
.....but no ROGER DAVIS??

....it would be a total waste of time....

[91a2]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:56:20 PM »
12:00  DS Video Vault: Joan Bennett on The Governor & J.J. (1970)

Uh...duh...what does this mean please?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »
The Governor & J.J.

I forgot about that show.   I didn't watch it, maybe that's why.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
I watched The Governor and J. J. frequently but must have missed Miss Bennett's appearance on it. Of course, I last saw it IN 1970, so ...

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »
Regarding these untaped scripts: another reason why they weren't used may have to do with the offscreen pregnancy of Alexandra Moltke.  These episodes were right around the time Alexandra left the show in November 1968.  Her last show was #627 which aired 11/19/68.  The character of 'Eve" had been killed in the previous episode, and we last see Alexandra's Vicki on the Collinwood stairs with Julia Hoffman discussing the murder.   From what we know of the unused scripts, they also cover Eve's murder and the introduction of Chris and Amy.  However, it seems that the events in the finished shows seemed accelerated compared to the synopses to the unused scripts as shown in The Dark Shadows Almanac

I think that since Alexandra's demand to given release from her contact due to her pregnancy must have forced the writers to do quick rewrites to 'speed up' to storyline to get rid of eithetr the actress or the character (perhaps both!).  As Betsy Durkin has revealed recently, her hiring as Alexandra's replacement was rather quick- Curtis was desperate for an actress who could do the part at a moment's notice.  The fact that two episodes were taped out of sequence and held back until a replacement was found for Alexandra proves this.  Betsy Durkin first appears in Show# 630 which was taped on 11/19 (ironically, the very day Alexandra's last show aired on ABC), and was aired only three days later!  Meanwhile, Shows# 631 and 632 had already been taped BEFORE  #630, so the production staff was determined to keep the show going while a replacement for Alexandra was sought.  True, Betsy really didn't resemble Alexandra, but given the circumstances, she did the best she could, and in appreciation of her appearances at recent DS Festivals, I'd like to say 'thanks'. 

Unfortunately, unless I win a lottery or find out I'm related to the Trumps, I won't be at LA this summer.  I wish the actors best of luck in acting out a 'lost' episode.