Author Topic: Dark Shadows: Why Such a Huge Gay Following?  (Read 11348 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: Why Such a Huge Gay Following?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
Just a further clarification--that article wasn't by me.  Sorry for the confusion.

AAAAAHHHHHH!

It did lack imagination, substance and scholarship, unlike your usual writing.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »
I'm looking at the article again and laughing--I would never use language such as "we get screwed in the end" in something meant for print publication, even in a draft.

Actually, that's but one example of language you would never use - at least not sober.  [snow_rolleyes]  While I read the article last night thinking that perhaps it had been written by you, I kept asking myself, "Was he drunk when he wrote this?" because it so did not come off as your natural writing or even speaking voice. Now I know why.  [snow_wink]  And quite honestly, you don't know how relieved I am.  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »
David, the writer of the article you are talking about is a friend of mine.  He does not profess to be a writer, or even a good writer.  You also take him deadly serious.  Yes, he wanted to try publishing a zine about something that mattered to him as a gay man who grew up in a rural part of Texas where hunting and other so-called manly pursuits tested your mettle as a "real man."  Consequently, my friend got to know other gay men in his situation when he became involved with the only gay bar/lounge in his area and worked there for many years.  He learned to overcome the prejudice he had against himself and be happy for who he is.

My friend also has spent thousands of dollars buying DS stuff, including props from the 1991 DS series.  We are talking something like $20,000 so obviously he could not be serious in saying something is wrong with DS fans. He would have been talking about himself with his usual dry humor. 

Furthermore, there are many gays who do grow up hating themselves (there are people who grow up hating themselves without being gay too) for who they are.    I have a family member who turned to alcohol because of how he felt about himself as a gay man. It was horrible.   Fortunately, he has been sober for five years now and very proud of who he is.   It's wonderful if you never had to deal with self-hatred or denial but not every gay person skipped over that.  Just among people I know I can give you several examples.

But back to the zine - my friend didn't do anymore because he wasn't cut out to be an editor, writer or publisher.  He recognized that.  He tried something and it didn't work out.  His being very bad at answering inquiries alone doomed any future publication.

There are plenty of gay couples who are together for all of their lives. There are plenty who are not.  The same is true of straight couples.  My friend knew many plain truths about what it's like living as an openly gay man and part of a gay couple in a very rural area.

But know this - he is a great guy, always there for his friends, mentors those who are trying to come out of the closet, and does not post negative things about anybody.  He's a very sweet man.  He loves to tease and I think you took what he said seriously when he wasn't serious since he himself has spent $20,00 on DS memorabilia in a two year period.  That doesn't put him in the driver's seat of criticizing anyone for being obsessive! [snow_silly] 

I'm unhappy to see him ridiculed for a project he tried out to see if it was something he could do because it would matter to people.   [snow_cry]

Nancy

I'm sorry, but that essay is a lot of shameful, self hating shit.
Everyone I know is perfectly happy to be gay.

As kids we were in the closet, as is Barnabas, so I can see that aspect of relating to it.
But all that self hating crap is for the birds.

And I know PLENTY of long term gay couples.

SHAME on that writer.
I met him a few times.
He told me that he thought all DS fans had "something
wrong" with them.
Shame on him.

David

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2008, 12:36:49 AM »
Nancy, I would NEVER put the dude down for buying memorabilia, I have plenty of my own.
I do recall him being a polite & friendly guy.

But I also recall him telling me~~more than once~~that all gays & all DS fans had "something wrong with them."
He also told me that no one would ever go to a fest or be involved in DS unless they "couldn't fit into society."

I'm sorry Nancy, you know I have a lot of respect for you.
But comments like that aren't OK.

I was raised an Orthodox Jew.
I went to high school in the same neighborhood where Saturday Night Fever was shot.
I know about anti-gay hate all too well.
Comments like "there's something wrong with all gays"
only serves to enable the anti-gay hate that he & I both experienced.

Having said that, I'm glad he's learned to feel better about himself. Everyone deserves that.

And owning props from either DS series would be mucho cool!

David

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2008, 12:51:25 AM »
I like people who don't fit into society.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 02:34:27 AM »
Nancy, I would NEVER put the dude down for buying memorabilia, I have plenty of my own.
I do recall him being a polite & friendly guy.

But I also recall him telling me~~more than once~~that all gays & all DS fans had "something wrong with them."
He also told me that no one would ever go to a fest or be involved in DS unless they "couldn't fit into society."

I'm sorry Nancy, you know I have a lot of respect for you.
But comments like that aren't OK.

Well, as I actually know the man and have known him for more than fifteen years, I will stick with my perception. 

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 02:41:10 AM »
So do I.  I would consider it a compliment.

Nancy

I like people who don't fit into society.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 03:17:20 AM »
The Secret Room front & back covers

David

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2008, 03:22:07 AM »
There's a big difference with not wanting to fit in and not being able to.

I like being around people who are diverse, creative, and don't fit into a cookie cutter mold.
Most people I know fit into this category.
But none are people I'd say have "something wrong with them'

David

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2008, 03:23:36 AM »
Here are pages 1 & 2 of the second Gay/DS essay.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2008, 03:28:13 AM »
Here are pages 3 & 4

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2008, 03:30:55 AM »
And finally here are pages 5 & 6.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2008, 03:56:09 AM »
Thanks Joeytrom for taking the time to scan the zine and share it with us.  [snow_smiley]

As for all the discussion about people having something wrong with them, well, it probably is true in the sense that everyone has some sort of flaw(s) in their personality. There's no such things as a perfect human being. There's even a theory that our flaws tend to bind our relationships more than our strengths do. I don't know. But, just as is the case with fiction in general and DS in particular, in the real world it's flawed individuals who are the most fascinating. And honestly, who would even want to be around perfection 24/7? That would be awfully dull...

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008, 04:31:22 AM »
...Of course, on the show, they only use metaphors for homosexuality, just like supernatural metaphors are used for so much child abuse and trauma. 

The word "subtext" is used in different fandoms (ex: Xena).    Is this supposed to mean something intentional on the part of writers, or just something that can be read into it?   I'm big on defining my terms lately.

I agree that DS is ripe with characters and situations that can be seen as metaphors for homosexuality, as well as many other types of experiences, but I doubt they were written into the show intentionally.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 04:44:20 AM »
Thank you, Joeytrom!

For anyone downloading the jpegs, keep in mind that pages 3 & 4 are actually 5 & 6, and vice versa.