Author Topic: The Annual November Juliathon  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Annual November Juliathon
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:29:35 AM »
Fans,

Several years ago I wrote a lengthy (I believe it totalled 17 pages) essay analysing Grayson Hall's first few months on Dark Shadows.  (This was meant as a contribution to a book on the 1967 storyline which never did see the light of day.)  I was intrigued to learn that Grayson appeared in a very high number of episodes in the October/November period of that year; I believe that she was in all but five of the shows taped in October of '67.  The slideshow today and those of the recent past are reminding me what a fabulous period this time of the year is for Grayson Hall addicts.  Today's slides include images of the legendary face-off between Julia and Carolyn in the foyer.  I really do think it is "better than heroin" when Julia slams the phone down on Miss Minx's flirtatious chat with Tony Peterson, only to have the young heiress icily inform her houseguest that the Collins family expects a certain standard in the behavior of those who dwell beneath their roof.  Why, it's nearly dinnertime and Julia hasn't even changed!  I find this all the more a hoot in that not only do we never even see the family having dinner (after the one episode of them dining with Laura Collins in, what, January of '67?) but we certainly never see signs that anyone has changed for dinner in later shows (though there are plenty of cases of young ingenues going to bed in high heels and street makeup).

Yesterday's slideshow featured the first of Julia's showdowns with Nicholas Blair, and I did love how it looked in the capture as if the redoubtable "Physician to the Vampire" was going to clock the suave, smug warlock right in the putz.  We have more showdowns between Julia and Nicholas to enjoy in the weeks to come, and in late November we can look forward to the debut of "Julia Hoffman, Detective at Large" with the onset of the Leviathans story.

The falling leaves drift past my window--and there's more fabulous performances from Grayson Hall and the DS repertory company to savor!  Here's to autumnal bliss!

G.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Annual November Juliathon
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
Gothick, I'd love to read your essay. Any chance you'll share it? [hall2_kiss]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »
so true gothick.

for graysonphiles november is indeed the "coolest" month.

as you suggest grayson owned the part of julia(and soon the show)from day one.

the foyer confrontation is as you say "better than heroin".every time i watch it i get a new "high".
just recently i rewatched it and i had forgotten the bit with julia grabbing the phone out of carolyn's hand and slamming it down to indignant cries of "how dare you!".

this whole subplot is ripe with "get outs!" and "how dare yous!".it's the best.

what's funny about the scene in question is that when julia first walks in the door she and carolyn make nicities about dinner before they start to go at it.i think carolyn expressed it best when she told julia that "good manners can cover up the most complex of emotions...it's game" after her mother made her apologize to julia for being rude.this cat and mouse period is indeed one delicious game.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:19:27 PM »
some of my favorite julia moments:

julia running from adam with his first tyrade after she give shim the injection

those two pitiful faces she makes:   one where she squints her eyes and purses her lips the other one where she had wides eyes and the mouth agape.   they are a gem.

her recovering from being throttled at any given moment in time.

her exagerated reactions to screams, noises and jump outs.

of course the BIGGEST slap in the FACE on DARK SHADOWS....when she slapped Cassandra.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:01:15 PM »
Today's slides include images of the legendary face-off between Julia and Carolyn in the foyer.

But of course. That scene is classic DS:

1967: Ep #358 - After Julia confronts Carolyn with the
hypodermic needle Carolyn put in her room, Carolyn warns
Julia that she must control herself.

Yesterday's slideshow featured the first of Julia's showdowns with Nicholas Blair, and I did love how it looked in the capture as if the redoubtable "Physician to the Vampire" was going to clock the suave, smug warlock right in the putz.

Certainly another brilliant and classic scene:

1968: Ep #619 - Julia insists it is to their mutual advantage for
Nicholas to find out where Barnabas is.

and in late November we can look forward to the debut of "Julia Hoffman, Detective at Large" with the onset of the Leviathans story.

And here's a preview from the November 20th's slideshow because, well, I know some people can't wait ([wink2]):

1969: Ep #889 - Julia is delighted by Barnabas' return but taken
aback by his refusal to allow her to touch the box he has brought
from the past.

And we also can't forget one of the Legion's all-time favorite November scenes:

1970: Ep #1149 - Barnabas rescues Julia.

which I seem to recall was immortalized on a Fest T-shirt.  ;)

this whole subplot is ripe with "get outs!" and "how dare yous!".it's the best.

Indeed! And one of the best "get outs!" is definitely when:

1967: Ep #355 - Julia orders Carolyn out of her room.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »
Mysterioso darling, so exquisitely do our days mngle the threads of Art and Life that at this very moment I am *wearing* my Legion t-shirt with the image of Barnabas rescuing Julia above.

Thanks for the lovely assemblage of scenes!  You're a peach with a gorgeous bloom on your cheeks!

cheers, G.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »
Bravo Bravo MB and Gothick!  Yes the t-shirt . .hee hee.
 [hall2_grin]
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »
My legion T-Shirts are some of my most precious possessions...what can I say, Julia RULES!   >:D

The scene in 1840 that is pictured above, and immortalized on said T-Shirt, says in a nutshell my opinion of the B&J relationship by the end of the series...   [hall2_grin]

And I love the Julia-a-thon - I don't think there is a moment on DS with Grayson, or Julia, that I don't like. Whether she's acting wicked or nice, calm and collected or over-the-top, strong or weak, stubborn or sweet, she's the peach in my preserves...
I adore studying the many facets of Barnabas, and watching the many B&J moments too...but, ya know...

Sighing-ly,
Heather H.

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:42:04 AM »
One of my fave Julia moments is from Episode #627 (November '68). She's at the hospital visiting Joe, and all is relatively calm, until cousin Chris Jennings pops in suddenly. Upon first sight, Julia immediately thinks she's seeing vampire "Tom" Jennings, screams "Tom, nooooo!!!", puts her hand over her face... and Don Briscoe (Chris) nearly breaks up on camera.

Grayson could go from tough and tart-tongued, to tender, to terrified, and back to tough in one scene, and somehow make the run of emotions seem natural (for one living at Collinwood anyway).

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »
Liked that scene too Sandor but then afterwards, she gives Chris a ride?!  I thought that was highly improbable EVEN for DS. . . She would willingly be alone with the lookalike boy who ..well then maybe she was scared but also desired a bit of the erotic thrill again . .haha, who knows.  But i bet she gave some feedback to the writing staff on that move.. . [hall2_grin]
Julia99

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
she probably hypnotized herself.    that's the key.

i remember a show where she was running all over collinwood dealing with everything going on from the kids to who knows what because liz and rog and carolyn were not there.  and she was so frazzled, running around up and down steps and into the drawing room and answering the phone.. and then she answered the knock at the door, and was talking to someone when someone upstairs shrieked.   and she just did one of her famous jump in her place things but it was so over the top it was hysterical.   watched that scene about five times before continuing on.

she's a pip.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »
i remember a show where she was running all over collinwood dealing with everything going on from the kids to who knows what because liz and rog and carolyn were not there.  and she was so frazzled, running around up and down steps and into the drawing room and answering the phone.. and then she answered the knock at the door, and was talking to someone when someone upstairs shrieked.

Ah, thank you, Willie - Episode #655 - another classic - Julia in that tight yellowish dress, flitting about Collinwood, slapping Joe, protecting Amy like a mama lioness, calming a distraught Carolyn, declaring Liz dead... all in 23 minutes. I was impressed with how agile and fit Grayson Hall was, with all that physicality. And if I'm not mistaken, that was Henry Kaplan's first episode as director on DS. He always drew out something extra in Grayson's performances. My favorite line from that episode was when Carolyn asked Julia how they'd explain Amy's sudden disappearance from the house to Elizabeth.  Julia: (flatly) Lie to her!

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 02:55:40 PM »
hm, this should be coming up, then, i'm into Angelique/Joe/Screaming Maggie stuff.   so, soon, i'll be laughing again.    (how the HELL do you remember the episode number????)   hahahahahah. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 04:27:12 PM »
Oh yeah Sandor and Willie you get all that PLUS Cassandra in her shiny black glisteningly-lacquered wig and lime green coat dress walking slowly towards Liz cooing "and then I must TOUCH you ... I puh-ROMISED you THAT!"  What a hoot!

Julia really is like the head of the Collinwood loony-bin in that episode!

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 09:49:21 PM »
Yes the t-shirt . .hee hee. [hall2_grin]

To bad we can't get copies of the T Shirt. I would sure love it.   This is the most enjoyable thread. I read it and it makes my day.

Bravo Standng O
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate