Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0364  (Read 1306 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0364
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0364
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »
I loved this show. The first time I saw it I cried and cried.   This show was so important with what come next.

Little Sarah had to look at the tele-prompter so that she would remember her lines. Barnabas has to start being good so that sarah will come back.

Julia trying to comfort Barnabas, he pushed her away. Julia telling everyone that David is not makeing up Sarah.  julia saw her, herself.

Spoiler...

Since we never saw Sarah come back, that is in currant time. If the show would have continured , would Sarah have come back?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:30:14 AM »
sarah was a very tricky character because while ghosts don't age living flesh and blood children do and fast.

sharon smyth grew alot just during the six or so months she was on the show.kids that age do.she looks much older by the end of the 1795 storyline then she did when her ghost first appeared in 1967.

b.t.w. along with the rest of the changing dates sarah's age at the time of her death kept changing too...from being either ten or "almost ten" when her ghost first shows up to actually dying on her eleventh birthday during 1795.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:58:52 AM »
I absolutely love this episode! IMO, this is truly the first meaningful moment when Barnabas drops his guard and we get a hint of the devoted brother who has suffered so much. The meeting between Barnabas and Sarah showed the humanity Barnabas once had, and hopes to still regain. We've seen glimpses of his human side before, but this episode made me like him all the more!

I really like that little rhyme Barnabas teaches to Sarah, and which she recites back to him so many years later.

Barnabas can't control her the way he can with others, she doesn't have to stay if she doesn't want to, and there's a desperation in his tone that so vividly comes through. He wants the world he knew back, including his humanity and his little sister and he goes so far as to beg for her to remain with him.

I thought it was rather amusing when Liz tells Barnabas she won't allow vicki to love a dead man forever, and Barnabas agrees he'll do his best to see she doesn't, but um excuse me? What exactly is barnabas then?  ;D

This is one of my favorite episodes!
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 04:26:43 AM »
I thought it was rather amusing when Liz tells Barnabas she won't allow vicki to love a dead man forever, and Barnabas agrees he'll do his best to see she doesn't, but um excuse me? What exactly is barnabas then?  ;D
Nice!

Sarah's come a long, long way from the little girl who was looking for her folks.  Who are the dead people that she's telling David about?

Barnabas is idiotic as usual.  He is in tears because Sarah won't stay with him - but he completely rejects what she has to say to him. But then, he's an old-fashioned male.  It doesn't matter what a female says, as long as she's decorative.

And how does Julia plan to explain to Liz and Vicky why she has suddenly changed her mind about David?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:56:52 AM »
This was a great episode! [cheer]  I felt sorry for Barnabas when he pleaded for Sarah to stay. [cryg] BUT I also felt that he deserved it! He was a wicked person who needed to be punished! [angrg] Once again, he was mean to Julia, who only wanted to comfort him, and he just pushed her away. [bawl]

I thought it was great when Julia said that what David said was true! [clap2] One of those exciting plot twists that is thrilling to watch! [shkdg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:25:31 PM »
Barnabas is idiotic as usual.  He is in tears because Sarah won't stay with him - but he completely rejects what she has to say to him. But then, he's an old-fashioned male.  It doesn't matter what a female says, as long as she's decorative.

Lots of issues are framed as sexism, when there's often something broader and more fundamental going on.    I think he's showing a neurotic self-induced obliviousness and denial of what he does that's wrong.   He's gotten very good at tuning out and reinterpreting any messages that might make him reconsider the morality of his actions.     And come to think of it, it might even take a smart man to rationalize as well as he does, and to reprogram his own thinking that well.     I'm sure that if called upon, he could give an excellent, maybe even persuasive speech on why he should not have to feel guilty for anything he does.

I remember reading a paper about 25 years ago, on dismissive responses women tend to get from male doctors, and it was well-written I think, though this was a long time ago.     I'd have had no reason to question the point being made, except for the fact that as a man with an unusual serious medical condition, I was receiving exactly the same attitudes, dismissals, and emotional responses from doctors, both male and female.     That taught me a lesson I'll remember my entire life.       There are concealed assumptions in everything we think and do.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 06:39:23 AM »
That last scene has a real kick to it.  Will Julia suddenly spill all the beans about Barnabas to Elizabeth and Vickie?  Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode to find out!

It's easy for us to be hard on Barnabas for his murderous ways, but, let's face it, he IS a vampire and has to suck people's blood to survive, so, by his very nature, he is going to have to harm people.  I'm not exactly sure what Sarah or anyone else really expects him to do - be a kinder, gentler blood-sucking vampire?

And, btw, just how long can barnabas go between feedings?  When he was first introduced in the story, he seemed to be on the prowl all the time.  Now, he never seems to feed at all, or perhaps he does all his dining offscreen.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 07:23:42 AM »
This is one of the greats!  The tension, the sensitivity, the emotion!

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/