Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0218  (Read 3284 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0218
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:02:16 AM »
Robservations - #218

And as we can see, contrary to a somewhat widely held belief that after his first appearance he doesn't, Barnabas does indeed arrive again at Collinwood wearing his hat:

;)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0218
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:20:41 AM »
Roger is unable to track down where Barnabas is staying and declares that anything other than the Collinsport Inn would be considered a flophouse. He goes on to say that there isn't a decent hotel for fifty miles. If this is so, why would Barnabas want to invest in such a setting? And what about tourism? Are the only people visiting the Collinsport area the type that would stay in flophouses? Ah, Roger.

Barnabas is pretty slick in the way he avoids answering Roger's query as to where he's staying, eh?

Liz brings up once again that the original Barnabas never married and dropped dead in England.  Barnabas assures her that he is a "product of a proper marriage". Man, has she got him against a wall or what?

Barn wants the move into the Old House and offers to pay rent. Roger says they would dream of asking him for rent, and I love this - Liz immediately comes to attention as if to say, "Whoa! Who says we're not going to charge him rent?"

Anyhow, why Liz is hesitant in allowing Barnabas to move into the Old House baffles me. Why shouldn't he move in? He's offering to fix it up at his own expense. Personally if that dump was on my estate, I would welcome a cousin who made such an offer. Equity, Liz. Equity. ::cha ching!::

And finally this: I wish they had done more scenes with Jason and Barnabas.  I love how they play off of each other. Who is the more crafty of the two? Hmmm?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
In the ending of ep. 217 Willie enters the secret room with Jason hot on his heels.  We all think Barnabas is inside.  But after Jason arrives, looks around inside of the mausoleum and then leaves, we see Barnabas come out of the shadows, outside the mausoleum watching the retreating Jason.  Why did Willie go in the secret room then?

JF/Barnabas was very spooky standing there in the shadows.

Roger suggests they invite Barnabas to live at Collinwood.  Liz says "how can we?" indicating they have 2 guests already.  SO?  It's a mansion, don't they have over 40 rooms?

I love the line where Barnabas says, "I don't usual visit unexpectantly."  Since when?? He always shows up at wee hours in the night.   [stfl]  Then he says he should have left word where they can contact him but he never tells them.  He cleverly avoids the issue at every turn.

Another great line Barnabas says, "That house has been on my mind for many years..."  Let's count them, how about 172 years to be exact.

Roger keeps making decisions about the accommodates that should be Liz's decision.  He is very outspoken where he should be deferring to his sister.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »
Anyhow, why Liz is hesitant in allowing Barnabas to move into the Old House baffles me. Why shouldn't he move in? He's offering to fix it up at his own expense. Personally if that dump was on my estate, I would welcome a cousin who made such an offer. Equity, Liz. Equity. ::cha ching!::

I so agree.  It seems like the perfect opportunity to fix up that "dump" with NO cost to her.  They weren't doing anything with it anyway, why NOT have someone willing to fix it up stay there... indefinitely.  Made no sense that she didn't immediately say yes.

And finally this: I wish they had done more scenes with Jason and Barnabas.  I love how they play off of each other. Who is the more crafty of the two? Hmmm?

Good question.  It would be fun to watch.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
They restored the squeak to the mausoleum door today.

There was some interesting Collinwood geography.  Roger and Barnabas talk in the foyer.  Roger goes to find an address for Barnabas, heading in the direction that I had thought led to the study.  Jason, who has just been talking to Elizabeth in the study, comes into the foyer from the door that I had thought led to the kitchen and the servant quarters, and talks to Barnabas.  And Roger doesn't go to the study to talk to Elizabeth until he has seen Barnabas out.

I liked the conversation between Roger and Elizabeth in the study - especially the pauses, as there would be between two people who live together and who have known each other all their lives, and Elizabeth not necessarily giving her full attention to her younger brother.  And I like Roger, sneering at how Jason likes to hang around with rich people, while he himself has visions of being a consultant to Barnabas. 

It's wonderful what could be done with just four characters in an episode, back in the early days when they didn't have the budget to use more.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
In the ending of ep. 217 Willie enters the secret room with Jason hot on his heels.  We all think Barnabas is inside.  But after Jason arrives, looks around inside of the mausoleum and then leaves, we see Barnabas come out of the shadows, outside the mausoleum watching the retreating Jason.  Why did Willie go in the secret room then?

That's a good question. I didn't notice Barn being outside. I always figured Willie went inside the secret room to meet Barnabas. Maybe he didn't know Barnabas was outside.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
I imagine that Barnabas, in the secret room, summoned Willie to him.  When they heard Jason in the mausoleum, Barnabas disappeared from the secret room and appeared outside to see when the coast would be clear for Willie to come out.  It's a heartwarming example of Barnabas's endless concern for Willie's welfare.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
It's a heartwarming example of Barnabas's endless concern for Willie's welfare.

Oh, yes - sure it is.  :D

If anything, Barn was probably making sure Jason was going so that Jason wouldn't see anything to make him even more suspicious than he already was about Willie's odd actions.  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 07:17:09 PM »
And as we can see, contrary to a somewhat widely held belief that after his first appearance he doesn't, Barnabas does indeed arrive again at Collinwood wearing his hat

But at the end of the show he is standing outside, without his hat. We never see it again.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
 :'( No Willie in today's episode but a lot of Barnabas. In the first scene we see Barnabas exiting the mausoleum just after Jason, so he saw him leaving. So he has to suspect that Jason was there checking on Willie but had not seen him. I assume Willie is still in the secret room. Barnabas probably fed off of him and left him there to rest.

Roger has called the inn to check on Barnabas, assuming Barnabas is staying there but they tell him Barnabas is not registered there. Roger is confused wondering where Barnabas is staying, if not there. He wants to ask Barnabas to stay at Collinwood, this seems the natural solution, since he's a member of the family. The stay can always be temporary. Liz thinks since they already have two houseguests it's too much. There is plenty of room but poor Mrs. Johnson has enough to do and she has no helper. I agreed with Roger that a blood relation should take precedence over the other two but Liz said again that they're her guests and they'll stay as long as she says so. She sure can stand up to Roger but not to Jason. I'd like to see her toss Jason out on his bum!

Barnabas comes over and though Roger asked him twice where he was staying Barnabas dodged the question. We should all take notes for when people ask us nosy questions lol! Barnabas asks to live at the Old House and Roger and Liz are shocked. Roger says it's uninhabitable and though he offers very good reasons why Barnabas shouldn't consider living there, Barnabas has an answer for every objection. He says he feels that his life won't be complete unless he lives there. I agree with Janet that Liz should have said yes immediately since his fixing it up at his own expense is going to make the house more valuable. Given his account to Vicki of how much work and expense must have gone into building that house, it's a waste for it to sit there uninhabited.

Liz says she was surprised to learn of his existence and Barnabas says, "I assure you I am the product of a proper marriage." I about bust a gut laughing over this one.

After Liz leaves the room Barnabas asks Roger to speak to Liz on his behalf, and encourage her to allow him to live there. Roger promises to do so saying that Liz always listens to his advice. Since when? LOL

Liz enters the study and sees Jason there, demands to know about Willie, Jason has to admit he left the house and he doesn't know where he went. Liz feels that if Willie is well enough to leave the house and go out he's well enough to leave permanently. She accuses Jason of lying, and she's going to put an end to it (his blackmail?) and he gets nasty again, saying the only ending will involve the police.

Roger tells Barnabas that he hopes Liz will agree, he likes Barnabas and feels they'll be good friends. They talk business a little bit, Barnabas asks for the name and address of a ship owner and Roger goes to get it. While he's gone Jason comes out of the service entrance and he and Barnabas meet. This scene was amusing because we know that Barnabas already has the low down on Jason from Willie. Willie wouldn't be able to lie to Barnabas so Barnabas has to know why Jason is there, and what he's doing.

Jason tells Barnabas he thinks they've met, Barnabas says they haven't, and points out his portrait as the reason Jason may feel he knows him. Jason tells him he's a friend of the family (with friends like him who needs enemies blah blah blah) and Barnabas asks if he's enjoying his stay at Collinwood. Jason wonders how Barnabas knew he was staying there. WILLIE of course. Jason talks about the jewels worn by the man in the portrait and wonders if he was buried with them, Barnabas says that man was buried in England. It wasn't Barnabas' jewels that Willie was after that night anyway, but Naomi's.

Roger goes to Liz in the study and he talks about Barnabas and says he hopes she'll let him stay at the Old House, though she thinks it's silly for him to want to live there. Roger says it's because of family tradition, his ancestors lived there. Liz is not ready to decide. Roger says that if two strangers can stay at Collinwood, why shouldn't a blood relative stay at the Old House? (good point) Then he remembers he still didn't get Barnabas' phone number or learn where he's staying. (You don't want to know, Roger...)

Alondra

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
I imagine that Barnabas, in the secret room, summoned Willie to him.  When they heard Jason in the mausoleum, Barnabas disappeared from the secret room and appeared outside to see when the coast would be clear for Willie to come out.  It's a heartwarming example of Barnabas's endless concern for Willie's welfare.

That would be a plausible explanation for Barnabas to walk out from behind the bushes as Jason departs.  Another spooky fact about the stranger from "England".  So Barnabas can exist the room WITHOUT opening the concrete door?  I know we'll see him enter rooms through closed windows so maybe he can do that too.

And oh yeah, right, his "endless concern for Willie's welfare" had me  [rofl10] and [stfl]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
Roger goes to Liz in the study and he talks about Barnabas and says he hopes she'll let him stay at the Old House, though she thinks it's silly for him to want to live there.
Why does it even matter to her?  He's a cousin, visiting and willing to pay for the restoration. GO FOR IT woman!  Of course, she has no idea what his real intent is for the house but neither did the viewers at this point.  On the surface, he's a well groomed, cultured man, planning to spend money in the community and be an upstanding citizen.   [9366]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 09:08:26 PM »
Why does it even matter to her?  He's a cousin, visiting and willing to pay for the restoration. GO FOR IT woman!  Of course, she has no idea what his real intent is for the house but neither did the viewers at this point.  On the surface, he's a well groomed, cultured man, planning to spend money in the community and be an upstanding citizen.   [9366]

The old house does look better after Barnabas gets done with it. But not some of the things that he does.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »
I love the interplay between Barnabas and Jason and I agree there wasn't enough of it! I think they were evenly matched as far as their exchanges went. Though at the end of the Jason storyline I think one can definitely say [spoiler]Barnabas got the upper hand on him, both literally and figurately. lol[/spoiler]

You know Roger DID sound like he wanted to be Barnabas' business partner....but he'd be willing to settle for being a measley old consultant. Good old Roger. lol

As for Elizabeth, sure allowing Barnabas to move into the Old House wouldn't do any harm, especially since he was willing to pay for all the work it would take to fix it up, but don't forget she just met him. Even though he does seem quite the gentleman, she just met him, she doesn't know what he has in mind for the place. Even though the Old House has been long abandoned it IS still a part of the Collinwood estate. For all she knew, he could be a party animal who might wind up burning down the house!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »
What a fantastic thread.  I don't know what's making me laugh more right now--Lydia's delicate sarcasm about Barn's unending concern for Willie's welfare (lol!) or IluvBarnabas' image of the "courtly" cousin from England as a party animal trashing the OH!

This was a great idea!  My hat's off (and stays off) to Lydia!

G.