Poll

Which of the following do you feel was the scariest moment on Dark Shadows?

Willie clutched by Barnabas when opening his coffin in 1967.
6 (8.7%)
The dream in which Maggie sees herself in a coffin.
1 (1.4%)
The dream in which David sees a giant sized version of Barnabas baring his fangs
0 (0%)
Barnabas rising from his coffin just as Maggie attempts to stake him.
4 (5.8%)
Julia Hoffman being haunted by the appearance of blood dripping from Naomi Collins' nameplate at the Collins mausoleum.
2 (2.9%)
Carolyn attacked by aged vampire Barnabas.
2 (2.9%)
Julia Hoffman being tormented by visions of Dr. Woodard's ghost (incl the part where she sees the door to her room wavering)
2 (2.9%)
Jeremiah's ghost appearing and burying Angelique in his (Jeremiah's) tomb
1 (1.4%)
Angelique using her powers to disfigure Josette's portrait.
0 (0%)
Josette seeing a vision of herself as a vampire.
2 (2.9%)
Josette revealing her disfigured face to Barnabas after he raises her from the dead.
4 (5.8%)
Rev. Trask being haunted by visions of Barnabas' hand, of a skull in his mirror, by Maude Browning's corpse in his room.
2 (2.9%)
Rev. Trask's dream with Maude Browning's ghost and Barnabas' hand beckoning him to the Old House.
0 (0%)
Rev. Trask being sealed up behind a wall in the Old House.
4 (5.8%)
Bathia Mapes being consumed in flames after attempting to exorcise Angelique's ghost.
1 (1.4%)
The end of the 1795 storyline, when the hangman's noose is stretching, revealing the apparent hanging of Victoria Winters.
0 (0%)
The severed arm revealed to a satisfied Dr. Lang after one of Jeff Clark's errands to the cemetery.
0 (0%)
Maggie Evans' turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Jeff Clark's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Eric Lang's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Eric Lang being killed by Cassandra's voodoo doll spell.
0 (0%)
Julia Hoffman's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Mrs. Johnson's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
David Collins' turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
2 (2.9%)
Angelique being aged 200 years when Sam Evans alters her portrait, and her revenge against Sam
0 (0%)
Willie's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
1 (1.4%)
Carolyn's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Sam Evans' turn  at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Joe's unconscious body being left in the Old House while Adam manicially laughs outside the window.
1 (1.4%)
Vicki's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Barnabas' turn at experiencing the Dream Curse (and being attacked by the bat).
1 (1.4%)
Cassandra's hand transformed into bone by Nicholas' powers.
0 (0%)
Nicholas'  summoning the ghosts of the armless man and headless man.
0 (0%)
Angelique transformed into a vampire.
0 (0%)
Vampire Tom Jennings emerging from the shadows to attack Julia Hoffman in the Old House basement.
1 (1.4%)
Maggie's flashback dream of being in Old House as Barnabas' prisoner.
0 (0%)
Maggie's flashback vision of being imprisoned in Barnabas' coffin in the Secret Room.
1 (1.4%)
Julia's premonition dream about Barnabas' lying dead in the woods after going to Nicholas' house.
0 (0%)
Roger's dream about Vicki as a skull-with-eyeballs bride.
0 (0%)
Diabolos speaking to Nicholas through an unconscious Maggie.
1 (1.4%)
The 'legions of the damned' screaming to 'salute' an unconscious Maggie during Nicholas' ceremony.
3 (4.3%)
The experiment scene in which a possessed Maggie is used as the life force, and Eve turned into a skeleton.
1 (1.4%)
Roger Collins being tripped and nearly killed when David and Amy (under Quentin's ghost's influence) rig a thin wire at the top of the stairs.
1 (1.4%)
Madame Findley tumbling down the stairs after being terrorized by Quentin's ghost.
2 (2.9%)
Ezra Braithwaite being menanced and killed by Quentin's ghost in the Drawing Room at Collinwood.
0 (0%)
Joe Haskell's 'double trouble' dream of werewolf Chris and vampire Tom.
2 (2.9%)
David and Amy discovering the skeleton in Quentin's room.
1 (1.4%)
Elizabeth's dream of being buried alive.
2 (2.9%)
Elizabeth's dream of encountering Cassandra's ghost.
0 (0%)
Carolyn being stalked by the werewolf while Elizabeth in her coffin tries to warn her telepathically.
1 (1.4%)
Maggie's dream of being strangled by Quentin's ghost.
0 (0%)
Prof. Stokes being menanced by Quentin's ghost when he appears in the guest room mirror.
0 (0%)
Quentin menaced by visions of 'Grandmama' sitting up in her coffin.
1 (1.4%)
Quentin as a zombie appearing in Rachel Drummond's bedroom.
1 (1.4%)
Edward staking vampire Dirk Wilkins in his coffin after almost being strangled by him.
0 (0%)
Petofi's woman test subject for the i-ching encounters a giant sized skeleton in her journey and turns into a skeleton.
0 (0%)
udith being menaced by the ghost/vision of Minerva Trask attacking her with a knife.
2 (2.9%)
Jamison's dream about a dying David Collins in the 20th. century.
0 (0%)
(in 1995) Gerard Stiles' ghost giving his dirty looks to Julia Hoffman through the windows of the ruined Collinwood
2 (2.9%)
(in 1970): David and Hallie's dream in which they see a giant sized version of Daphne's facing fiilling the window at Rose Cottage
1 (1.4%)
David and Hallie's dream in which they see their own bodies in the Drawing Room
0 (0%)
Judah Zachery's head opening its eyes after a terrified Flora flees from Rose Cottage.
4 (5.8%)
Gerard's dream in which he and Judah Zachery trade places ( Gerard's head in the glass case, Judah's head attached to Gerard's body)
1 (1.4%)
Other scary moments on DS
5 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: November 17, 2006, 03:36:58 AM

Author Topic: Halloween poll: Dark Shadows scariest moments  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween poll: Dark Shadows scariest moments
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 04:51:38 PM »
The scene where Barnabas first comes out of the coffin in 1795.  Angelique failed to stake him.  The two of them had such marvelous chemistry normally but this scene was really supercharged with that chemistry.  What almost totally ruined the scene was the stage hand who was seen sitting in the shot and got up to get out of the shot.  I thought that scene was very creepy.

Nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »
Josette's ghost coming out of the portrait in the Old House in the intro to Barnabas eps - brought to you in good old creepy B&W

I too LOVE this scene!  In my opinion it's the best 'ghost' scene on DS.  But this wasn't anywhere near when Barnabas showed up.  He wasn't even a bee in DC's bonnet at this point.   [hall2_grin]

Probably the ep I just saw - when Barnabas first rises, and strangles Angelique.  Parker, falling, SLAMS her head on the floor and lolls back, eyes wide open. My estimation of her as an actress instantly went up a couple notches. I mean, it looked like it really hurt, and she sold the gag.

Keith Prentice also did a similar fall where he seemed to REALLY bang his head on the floor.  It's the scene where [spoiler]Bramwell has just broken up the first marriage attempt by Morgan and Catherine and basically proceeds to kick Morgan's ass.  He hits the floor and THUMPS his head, hard![/spoiler]  Too bad that wasn't the end of him!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 04:59:52 PM »
I too LOVE this scene!  In my opinion it's the best 'ghost' scene on DS.  But this wasn't anywhere near when Barnabas showed up.  He wasn't even a bee in DC's bonnet at this point.

I think they mean that they show this scene in the Volume 1 recap, before the Barnabas eps start. That's where newbies like us have seen the clip...:)
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »
I too LOVE this scene!  In my opinion it's the best 'ghost' scene on DS.  But this wasn't anywhere near when Barnabas showed up.  He wasn't even a bee in DC's bonnet at this point.

I think they mean that they show this scene in the Volume 1 recap, before the Barnabas eps start. That's where newbies like us have seen the clip...:)

Ah...okay.   [hall2_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »
I didn't see it on the list and I think it's one of the best scariest scenes on DS.

In 1897, Barnabas goes to meet Grandmama Edith and offer her a family heirloom.  But [spoiler]she recognizes him.  He's the family secret she's been waiting to tell Edward! He steps closer to her as she's holds her neck and points at him shouting, "I KNOW WHO YOU ARE... YOUR the secret."  Edward comes in right after that and asks to talk with him grandmama privately.  Barnabas leaves the room but listens outside the door.[/spoiler] The look on Barnabas' face is priceless!!  I LOVE that scene.
[/font][/size]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 05:26:55 PM »
The scene where Barnabas first comes out of the coffin in 1795.  Angelique failed to stake him.  The two of them had such marvelous chemistry normally but this scene was really supercharged with that chemistry.  What almost totally ruined the scene was the stage hand who was seen sitting in the shot and got up to get out of the shot.  I thought that scene was very creepy.

That's a great one too and loved the fact that he killed her.  But we know what that means: killing Angelique is only an inconvenience because she always comes back. ;)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »

Well, that would seem to be it but, actually I just forgot. I'm and "Old Bee" and should have known better.  [hall2_embarrassed]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 07:18:35 PM »
  Sometimes, basically, Dark Shadows isn't scary to our contemporary senses. We are in the post Night of the Living Dead/Halloween/Texas Chainsaw era. Its kind of like the classic Universal stuff or even the Hammer films. I don't find I watch them to be scared, I just LOVE stories with supernatural themes and atmosphere. Dark Shadows was very rich in these. I've probably said this before, but I've often described Dark Shadows as being the TV show equivalent of a top notch wax museum experience.
      I rarely get really scared watching movies, although the aforementioned Texas Chainsaw did scare me in the theatre, but more in a exhausting sense in some ways, of , when will this be over and how much can we take?
With due respect for TV and movies, I find gong through the Halloween haunted house generally much more of a full shock or frightening experience. [Skull2]
      With that said, I will say i think DS had some great scary or rich supernatural moments. Maybe  chilling or spooky are better words. I knew kids growing up that were stopped from watching it when they got nightmares, but I never had a bad  DS dream.  [8371]
        Anyway, with all that said, some of my favorites scary moments would include those with Jeremiah's ghost, Quentin or Gerard's ghosts, Judah Zachery's head in the box, the discovery of Rev Trask's skeleton, and the Widow's ghosts confronting Matthew Morgan at the old house. The DS ghosts were always especially effective in B & W.
         I always loved that eerie whistling music that was played in ghosts scenes, such as the Widow's Hill scenes. The lighting, sets, music, costumes and sound are so inseparable as part of that magic DS atmosphere. [Ghost00] [gramophone]

Michael  [candle_in_skull]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 01:48:30 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember watching that scene where Jeremiah's ghost, all disfigured and bloody and wrapped in bandages like some Universal mummy, carried Angelique to his grave and began to bury her alive.  It scared the holy-molies out of me.  I covered my face with my hands and peaked through my fingers until I could hear my mom in the kitchen calling out:  "Will you turn that spooky crap off?  Put on Art Linkletter!"

I also remember, then being in junior high school, being creeped by the scene where, for the first time, we see Judah's head, all alone in that room, with its eyes open, the eerie musical score heightening it.

Gerard

Offline Kristin

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 07:01:44 AM »
font=comic sans ms]I didn't see it on the list and I think it's one of the best scariest scenes on DS.

In 1897, Barnabas goes to meet Grandmama Edith and offer her a family heirloom.  But [spoiler]she recognizes him.  He's the family secret she's been waiting to tell Edward! He steps closer to her as she's holds her neck and points at him shouting, "I KNOW WHO YOU ARE... YOUR the secret."  Edward comes in right after that and asks to talk with him grandmama privately.  Barnabas leaves the room but listens outside the door.[/spoiler] The look on Barnabas' face is priceless!!  I LOVE that scene.
[/font]

YES!!  All the scenes with Grandmama Edith creep me out.  She's one scary old lady... [laughing_devil]

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 02:08:19 PM »
I dont think  any      scene scared me, but one of the choices on the poll really gets me to laughing. When Maggie tries to stake Barnabas and falls to the floor when he wakes, the next scene shows Barny sitting up in his coffin turned toward Maggie and baring them fangs. Not sure why, but i get a good laugh everytime i see it.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »
Carig Slocum as Harry Johnson

that's was funee---

Truly I think the hand reaching from within the casket BECAUSE it was so unexpected .. oh sure there'd been a ghost on the show but a vampire! That had create screams across America! [hall_shocked]
Julia99

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006, 09:11:34 PM »
I went with Nicolas Blair in his black wedding ceremony with Maggie.  I don't really find anything about the show scary, but that was really nicely done.  The most satisfying moment was watching Trask get walled up in the cellar  [dancing_bones]