Poll

Which of the following do you feel was the scariest moment on Dark Shadows?

Willie clutched by Barnabas when opening his coffin in 1967.
6 (8.7%)
The dream in which Maggie sees herself in a coffin.
1 (1.4%)
The dream in which David sees a giant sized version of Barnabas baring his fangs
0 (0%)
Barnabas rising from his coffin just as Maggie attempts to stake him.
4 (5.8%)
Julia Hoffman being haunted by the appearance of blood dripping from Naomi Collins' nameplate at the Collins mausoleum.
2 (2.9%)
Carolyn attacked by aged vampire Barnabas.
2 (2.9%)
Julia Hoffman being tormented by visions of Dr. Woodard's ghost (incl the part where she sees the door to her room wavering)
2 (2.9%)
Jeremiah's ghost appearing and burying Angelique in his (Jeremiah's) tomb
1 (1.4%)
Angelique using her powers to disfigure Josette's portrait.
0 (0%)
Josette seeing a vision of herself as a vampire.
2 (2.9%)
Josette revealing her disfigured face to Barnabas after he raises her from the dead.
4 (5.8%)
Rev. Trask being haunted by visions of Barnabas' hand, of a skull in his mirror, by Maude Browning's corpse in his room.
2 (2.9%)
Rev. Trask's dream with Maude Browning's ghost and Barnabas' hand beckoning him to the Old House.
0 (0%)
Rev. Trask being sealed up behind a wall in the Old House.
4 (5.8%)
Bathia Mapes being consumed in flames after attempting to exorcise Angelique's ghost.
1 (1.4%)
The end of the 1795 storyline, when the hangman's noose is stretching, revealing the apparent hanging of Victoria Winters.
0 (0%)
The severed arm revealed to a satisfied Dr. Lang after one of Jeff Clark's errands to the cemetery.
0 (0%)
Maggie Evans' turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Jeff Clark's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Eric Lang's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Eric Lang being killed by Cassandra's voodoo doll spell.
0 (0%)
Julia Hoffman's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Mrs. Johnson's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
David Collins' turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
2 (2.9%)
Angelique being aged 200 years when Sam Evans alters her portrait, and her revenge against Sam
0 (0%)
Willie's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
1 (1.4%)
Carolyn's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Sam Evans' turn  at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Joe's unconscious body being left in the Old House while Adam manicially laughs outside the window.
1 (1.4%)
Vicki's turn at experiencing the Dream Curse.
0 (0%)
Barnabas' turn at experiencing the Dream Curse (and being attacked by the bat).
1 (1.4%)
Cassandra's hand transformed into bone by Nicholas' powers.
0 (0%)
Nicholas'  summoning the ghosts of the armless man and headless man.
0 (0%)
Angelique transformed into a vampire.
0 (0%)
Vampire Tom Jennings emerging from the shadows to attack Julia Hoffman in the Old House basement.
1 (1.4%)
Maggie's flashback dream of being in Old House as Barnabas' prisoner.
0 (0%)
Maggie's flashback vision of being imprisoned in Barnabas' coffin in the Secret Room.
1 (1.4%)
Julia's premonition dream about Barnabas' lying dead in the woods after going to Nicholas' house.
0 (0%)
Roger's dream about Vicki as a skull-with-eyeballs bride.
0 (0%)
Diabolos speaking to Nicholas through an unconscious Maggie.
1 (1.4%)
The 'legions of the damned' screaming to 'salute' an unconscious Maggie during Nicholas' ceremony.
3 (4.3%)
The experiment scene in which a possessed Maggie is used as the life force, and Eve turned into a skeleton.
1 (1.4%)
Roger Collins being tripped and nearly killed when David and Amy (under Quentin's ghost's influence) rig a thin wire at the top of the stairs.
1 (1.4%)
Madame Findley tumbling down the stairs after being terrorized by Quentin's ghost.
2 (2.9%)
Ezra Braithwaite being menanced and killed by Quentin's ghost in the Drawing Room at Collinwood.
0 (0%)
Joe Haskell's 'double trouble' dream of werewolf Chris and vampire Tom.
2 (2.9%)
David and Amy discovering the skeleton in Quentin's room.
1 (1.4%)
Elizabeth's dream of being buried alive.
2 (2.9%)
Elizabeth's dream of encountering Cassandra's ghost.
0 (0%)
Carolyn being stalked by the werewolf while Elizabeth in her coffin tries to warn her telepathically.
1 (1.4%)
Maggie's dream of being strangled by Quentin's ghost.
0 (0%)
Prof. Stokes being menanced by Quentin's ghost when he appears in the guest room mirror.
0 (0%)
Quentin menaced by visions of 'Grandmama' sitting up in her coffin.
1 (1.4%)
Quentin as a zombie appearing in Rachel Drummond's bedroom.
1 (1.4%)
Edward staking vampire Dirk Wilkins in his coffin after almost being strangled by him.
0 (0%)
Petofi's woman test subject for the i-ching encounters a giant sized skeleton in her journey and turns into a skeleton.
0 (0%)
udith being menaced by the ghost/vision of Minerva Trask attacking her with a knife.
2 (2.9%)
Jamison's dream about a dying David Collins in the 20th. century.
0 (0%)
(in 1995) Gerard Stiles' ghost giving his dirty looks to Julia Hoffman through the windows of the ruined Collinwood
2 (2.9%)
(in 1970): David and Hallie's dream in which they see a giant sized version of Daphne's facing fiilling the window at Rose Cottage
1 (1.4%)
David and Hallie's dream in which they see their own bodies in the Drawing Room
0 (0%)
Judah Zachery's head opening its eyes after a terrified Flora flees from Rose Cottage.
4 (5.8%)
Gerard's dream in which he and Judah Zachery trade places ( Gerard's head in the glass case, Judah's head attached to Gerard's body)
1 (1.4%)
Other scary moments on DS
5 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: November 17, 2006, 03:36:58 AM

Author Topic: Halloween poll: Dark Shadows scariest moments  (Read 3784 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Halloween poll: Dark Shadows scariest moments
« on: October 27, 2006, 03:36:58 AM »
My most sizeable poll thus far!, and even at that only a feeble attempt to recollect Dark Shadows' scary moments. DS, by its nature, had a great many moments that could be classified as scary. I gathered up a good handful of moments from the 1967-1969 storylines, and a few from the 1897 storylines. The thought of having to remember more from the Leviathan, PT 1970, and other storylines was too daunting, so I stopped after throwing in a few from 1995, 1970, and 1840.  So feel free to throw in any and all other scary moments you remember!  I'll probably think of some more I wish I had included in this poll.

This is supposed to be a Halloween poll, but a bit too extensive to run just through Halloween.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

IluvBarnabas

Re: Halloween poll: Dark Shadows scariest moments
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 04:14:44 AM »
Those are all great moments but from the list the one that gave me the chills most was when poor Joe had that terribly frightening nightmare where [spoiler]he's trapped by his monster cousins, vampire Tom and werewolf Chris!

I still get the shivers when Joe finds out from his cousin that he's not Chris but the undead Tom![/spoiler]

That dream really was scary, it would be enough to push anyone over the edge!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:10 AM »
Can't cast a vote 'cause nothing scares me about DS (unless you count some of the flimsey scenery!   [hall2_grin])
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

David

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 04:26:08 AM »
I'm surprised that Barnabas' first night in 1795
or more from the truly scary 1995
were not included!

But I do agree with a lot of the posted choices.
DS did have some truly scary moments.
(except the Dream Curse, those dreams always make me laugh)

David

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 04:43:06 AM »
I usually watch DS at night, in bed, and I recently viewed the scene where Adam laughed while looking through the Old House window at Barnabas discovering the unconscious Joe....totally gave me the creeps.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 04:51:41 AM »
I voted for Josette's disfigured face, and Judah opening his eyes when Flora flees. While DS never scared me, if I watched it when I was a child and didn't know any better, these two moments probably would have scared me the most.

In an interview on Set 16 of the DVDs, Nancy Barrett says that she never understood why people thought that the show was so scary, because whenever she did get a chance to watch it, it wasn't that scary. She says that one day she happened to catch the Judah episode mentioned, and that it gave her the creeps even as an adult! "No wonder mother's wouldn't let their children watch our show!" she exclaimed.

That would scared the ba-Jesus outta me when I was little. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) no horror movie or TV show has really AHHH SCARED me since I watched Halloween when I was like 6 years old. I had nightmares for weeks! But man did t build up my tolerance! [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:42:57 AM »
Barnabas reaching up to Willie from the coffin gave me chills the first time I saw it in the '60's--and it still does. I think it is THE moment which defined the beginning of the DS gothic spookiness. Not showing B's whole body, but just the hand was brilliant--it's always scarier to let your mind fill in the blanks than to be blatant, IMHO. [skull_winks]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 07:25:37 AM »
Carig Slocum as Harry Johnson
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 08:03:00 AM »
I chose two of them.  Most of the items were exciting, but I wouldn't say I found anything actually scary.  However, Barnabas originally grabbing Willie's neck is a very startling and significant moment.  And Gerard's dirty looks when we first see him in 1995 - he always seemed really ominous and there seemed to be an overwhelming feeling of fear over that whole storyline.  The first couple of times we see Gerard, in particular, were quite horrifying.
Josette

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:37:59 AM »

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 02:51:17 PM »
Can't cast a vote 'cause nothing scares me about DS (unless you count some of the flimsey scenery!) 

Okay, I'll amend mine and say that there WERE two scenes I watched as a little kid (when I was 4) that scared me.  One was when [spoiler]Barnabas and Julia go to the masoleum to let Chris out at dawn and he's still a werewolf!  Him turning around and revealing he hasn't transformed and Julia putting her hand up to her mouth while Barnabas grabs her and pulls her back out of the secret room gave me nightmares for a while.[/spoiler]

The other was when [spoiler]Pansity stakes 'Barnabas' in 1897.  As a 4 year old, it seemed more graphic and bloody than it actually was.[/spoiler]

And HODS scared the living crap outta me when I went w/my brother to see it in theaters.  But then, I was only 5!!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 03:14:11 PM »
I'm another who doesn't think DS is that scary. Gothic and sad, but not scary. But, if there were some genuinely scary moments I'd have to go with early Maggie Evans being taken over mentally, physically and emotionally from the vampire. Kinda scary when she woke up all foggy and tierd and couldn't go to work, her perplexed father hoving around trying to figure out what was happening. Barnabas was even scary then because he was so darn unpredictable and eerily charming.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
Kinda scary when she woke up all foggy and tierd and couldn't go to work, her perplexed father hoving around trying to figure out what was happening.

I'm surprised Sam didn't recognize the obvious symptoms of a hang-over, LOL!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »
Probably the ep I just saw - when Barnabas first rises, and strangles Angelique.  Parker, falling, SLAMS her head on the floor and lolls back, eyes wide open. My estimation of her as an actress instantly went up a couple notches. I mean, it looked like it really hurt, and she sold the gag.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 04:40:14 PM »
Under the "other" heading I would add...

Josette's ghost coming out of the portrait in the Old House in the intro to Barnabas eps - brought to you in good old creepy B&W.

and

The realization that the old telephone Quentin was making calls to David and Amy on wasn't connected to anything. That will forever freak me out! Eeeek!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad