Poll

Which is your favorite Chris Pennock character?

Jeb Hawkes
3 (15%)
Cyrus Longworth
2 (10%)
John Yeager
0 (0%)
Sebastian Shaw
0 (0%)
Gabriel Collins
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Favorite Chris Pennock role  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Chris Pennock role
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 10:48:01 PM »
I think it's just great, and absolutely right, that the goddesses outnumber the god by three to one.

Well, yeah....except having to share him gets complicated........[vryevl]

(laughing really loud)

Oh golly, Dark Shadows meets Big Love.  Thank heaven I've a long way to go before I reach goddesshood

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 10:53:50 PM »
Woo hoo, Raineypark!   [hello]

Quote from: Raineypark
Well, yeah....except having to share him gets complicated........[vryevl]

[rofl10]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 01:18:30 AM »
William H. and Carolyn Loomis had enough sexual chemistry to burn down the house. 

(In my BEST Linda Richman) YES, they did!  ;)  And you know who else did?  Kendrick and Melanie, also played by Johnny and Nancy for those who haven't yet seen 1841 PT.  The scene where they [spoiler]lay on the bed after they're married and he is on TOP of her sends me and Karlenfan over the edge, EVERY time![/spoiler]

[hall2_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 01:22:30 AM »
Congratulations, Raineypark, on becoming the second non-admin to reach the exaulted status of DSF God

Yes, forgot to congratulate you oh EXALTED DSF god!  Please remember to throw a few pennies at us peasants when you pass by.   [hall_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 04:39:10 AM »
Woohoo! Congratulations!

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 05:42:37 AM »
Congrates Raineypark.   [dancing_bones]
And BuzzH, you were right....Sebastian Shaw wore the leather pants.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »
I went with Gabriel - both of them.  I never cared for any of the other characters, and as a result, probably didn't think too much of Chris.  But while Gabriel was bad, he was bad in an interesting way and Pennock really depicted him well, and the PT version, too.
Josette

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 07:03:04 PM »
Gabriel was not a good guy that's for sure, but he had a way of mocking situations and people, making snide comments, always ready to take amusement at someone else's expense, and when he did this with someone like Gerard, it was such fun to watch.

Setting his "not-so-good-deeds" aside however, I felt bad for him. He never got along well with his father, and there's a scene with him and Daniel that is so very well done and sad, with [spoiler]Gabriel begging to know why his father never loved him as he so obviously did Quentin. Daniel seemed incapable of loving Gabriel due to his disability, quite a shame really! Gabriel wanted and needed his father's approval, and perhaps if he would have been accepted as a child by his father, he wouldn't have grown up to be so bitter.[/spoiler] I'm not making excuses for him, just trying to comprehend his actions and motives.

Edith was also very cruel to him, taunting him, making him feel worthless because he couldn't walk, [spoiler]even though he was playing that role falsely, she didn't know that, and first time viewers didn't know that.[/spoiler] She should have accepted him as he was, yet another incident where he was scorned by someone who is supposed to care for him. Granted, we don't know under what circumstances they were married, perhaps they were forced in to it, and that might explain her coldness, but I still felt bad every time she was cruel to him.

Did he have faults? most definitely! But in some ways he's a tragic man as well.

I also liked Cyrus Longworth. He was a gentle man who was trying hard to make a difference in the world, [spoiler]and in the end he came to such a sad fate.[/spoiler]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »
Excellent analysis of Gabriel, Sunny! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I always wondered why Daniel was never able gave the love and affection to Gabriel that he did to Quentin. The number #1 rule in parenting is never play favorites with your children and unfortunately for Gabriel that's exactly what Daniel did. But then of course Daniel isn't unique in that respect. Unfortunately many parents do have a tendancy to play favorites with their kids in this day and age even if they don't mean to.

A bit off-topic here, another example of playing favorites, I give you Frank and Marie Barone of Everybody Loves Raymond. They spoiled Ray rotten (which Ray enjoyed) and treated Robert with disdain. Don't know if anyone else on this forum watches the show, but these two parents, sheesh I would hate to have these two as parents even more than Daniel Collins.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »
Gabriel ... Did he have faults? most definitely! But in some ways he's a tragic man as well.

Which is exactly what makes him so fascinating.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 05:12:21 AM »
Jeb Hawkes was so bad, you had to like him.  From his camera to his leather pants, he added some 'kick' to the show.   [hall2_cool]

I think that of course Carolyn married again,but, she had a locket with his picture in it. 

It also might be worth noting that the ONLY scene of a couple in bed together in all of DS (correct me if I'm wrong on this) is the one involving Carolyn and Jeb on their honeymoon. 

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 03:28:50 PM »
It also might be worth noting that the ONLY scene of a couple in bed together in all of DS (correct me if I'm wrong on this) is the one involving Carolyn and Jeb on their honeymoon. 

I believe this is correct, even the episode where [spoiler]Bramwell and Catherine have had sex (episode 1202) doesn't show this.  She's on the bed, fully dressed, and he's sitting on a trunk on the end, tying his tie![/spoiler]   [hall_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 04:34:20 AM »
On year at  the fest the Collinsport Players shoud do a "Everbody Loves Quenten" with Gabriel in the Robert type part.
Dan

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 06:03:11 PM »
Joshua said the war was still on when they designed Collinwood, so for that or any other wars, keeping some enemy soldier prisoner for awhile might have been a necessity. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 10:56:28 PM »
The hair, the threads, the tude--the fact that he once said to Barn, a propos Maggie Evans:  "Hey, you DIG her, man!"--Jeb Hawkes, now and forever, will always be my favorite Pennock character.

But ask me what his best performance on the series was, and I'll line up with the others and vote for Gabriel (in RT 1840--the other one was fun as the drunken spoiled brat who went off the cliff, but nowhere near as nuanced a performance).

G.