Author Topic: Did You Notice?  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Did You Notice?/My Favorite Things
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 07:14:39 PM »
The stairless-Old House. I wonder what happened to them that day. Any speculation?

The Old House set was not permanent (only the Collinwood drawing room and foyer were), so it was sometimes dismantled during the course of shooting the series.  But Frid once told a convention audience that the OH set came the closest to being one as well.

Looks to me like there is a little corridor back there behind where the stairs would be. Where does that lead? The dressing room? Make up? The can? Or perhaps THAT is where the characters always walk to when they say they are going to the study!

One floor plan that's easy to get your hands on is in the DS Alamanc (p. 26 or 126, depending on the edition); during that day's episode [spoiler]in which Carolyn is murdered,[/spoiler] the Old House and Collinwood sets were at opposite ends of the studio.  It also looks like taking a slight left path out of the CW drawing room toward the "study" will lead someone into an outside wall, but an actor taking a slight right path might indeed find him/herself on another set.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Did You Notice?
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »
Has anyone noticed that when Sam Evans or Roger Collins enter the Blue Whale that the window with the wavey seascape design would be an interior type shot? The door that they come into from the location shooting is on Barister's Wharf. The studio shot is completely different. They have you believe that the Blue Whale front door is directly on the water. Well, maybe we're seeing it from Sam's drunken point of view.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 08:26:04 PM »
I love, love, love the location shots. Vicky Winters pulling up in a  car along the Collinsport Inn, wearing a completely different outfit(and hair-do)than she is when she visits Burke Devlin at his hotel room at the inn. Continuity! Please!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 07:42:58 PM »
i love the location shots too.

it's funny because they only filmed them a few times so no matter what the character is wearing in the episode itself they are wearing the same few things in the exteriors.

if i recall during the episode where vicki walks along the beach and discovers THE PEN she is wearing her hair in pigtails which she never wore on the show itself.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 07:51:36 PM »
Well, you can just undo pigtails when you come in, I suppose.

There's a post I never expected to make ever in my life...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 08:03:40 PM »
well put magnus...

my preoccupation with the show's costuming does get over the top. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 08:56:35 PM »

Nah.  Your comments are much too enjoyable for that.

But, if you join MB and me on our next visit to Newport, and you were to put on a sleeveless dress and don a black wig with pigtails for a stroll on the beach, then... maybe.  [wink2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 11:59:39 PM »
if i recall during the episode where vicki walks along the beach and discovers THE PEN she is wearing her hair in pigtails which she never wore on the show itself.

The pigtails are only the tip of the iceberg.  ;)  Vicki leaves Collinwood wearing a white trenchcoat, then she's on the beach wearing a black coat, and then she's back at Collinwood with the trenchcoat.  :o  :D

Another glaring wardrobe/location footage mishap happens when David is seen wearing pajamas and a robe just prior to location footage of him looking out a window (to watch Roger drive away) in which he's wearing a jersey, and then he's seen wearing the pjs and robe immediately after.  ::)

That they actually managed to have Carolyn come into Liz' room in Ep #275 carrying a kerchief in her hand after she'd been seen in location footage walking on the beach wearing a kerchief is actually the amazing thing!  [wink2]

But, if you join MB and me on our next visit to Newport, and you were to put on a sleeveless dress and don a black wig with pigtails for a stroll on the beach, then... maybe.

Oh, I don't know - it might be fun to reenact THE PEN scene for posterity.  [lghy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 03:10:09 AM »
well put magnus...

I meant it to be self-deprecating of course...

i'll have to get me a good look at this exciting PEN someday.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »
Over the top?  Sometimes the costumes themselves were over the top.  I remember they had Kathy Cody walking around for DAYS with grapes in her hair.  I don't remember if it was Carrie or Hallie.  Probably Carrie.  But GRAPES?  Excuse me?  I mean, come on!  What IS this?  The Music Man?  "One Grecian urn, two Grecian urns, and a fountain:  trickle, trickle, trickle..." lol!  Then there was her 'Tribute to the Great Pumpkin' dress.  Bright orange with a black bow in her hair.   [hall2_rolleyes] A BLACK bow.  So was she in um...partial mourning?  Or was she just a Halloween girl all year?  [hall2_kiss]

I thought Ang got some nice stuff in 1840, but poor Catherine?  Parallel time did NOTHING for taste.  Unfortunately, some of those awful things were totally correct for the time period.  Remember Parallel Time's Julia Collins and that UGLY striped dress?  Yeah.  That one.

Ew.

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 08:32:53 AM »
PT seemed to have a lot more blue combined with green, in 1970 and 1841, and in 1970 more bow ties and clashing colors.   1841 had brighter colors and pastels in the men's suits.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 06:22:53 PM »
since we're on the subject. ;)

i just finished the laura collins storyline.here vicki is generally attired in a blouse,cardigan sweater and skirt(complete with kilt-pin).

the whole sleeveless dress thing doesn't really get cooking until the barnabas(and in particular the color)episodes begin.

but once it starts that's it(i think she has it in at least eight colors).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
I still can't believe I did a post about pigtails.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:45 PM »
I hadn't noticed that Vicki's transition to sleevelessness occurred with the onset of the color shows.

May Moltke quit because she just couldn't stand lurking around in the studio freezing her derriere off in sleeveless dresses in ... NOVEMBER... any longer!

I have heard that Thayer David had the opposite problem under the hot studio lights with Count Petofi's hairpieces and heavy wardrobe.

Let it never be said that our Dark Shadows stars didn't work HARD to make the magic happen!

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 01:42:46 PM »
I still can't believe I did a post about pigtails.

I'm looking forward to reading your views on topknots.