Author Topic: Did You Notice?  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Did You Notice?
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:35:07 AM »
Did anyone notice in an 1897 episode that the stiars in the Old House were missing from the set? I can't for the life of me remember what episode it was, but I do remember, I think, that Evan Hanley has the whole eye-hanging-out-on-his-face thing going on, and that Magda had locked him behind the door leading into the cellar. I swear it looks like the stairs aren't there in the set. Like they were on wheels or something and they had pulled them out and just the wall was there. I'm trying to find it myself but I've been having trouble with it so I was wondering if anyone else knew of it.

Also, recently when watching a episode on Set 15, I noticed that in the episode where [spoiler]Petofi gets his hand back and shows Barnabas the future, with David being hysterical and not making sense[/spoiler] and Julia is sitting in the drawing room reading a book, with all her make up on, that when Grayson returns in the same episode as Magda that she is still wearing all the makeup, and blue eye shadow. This struck me because you don't ever see that on Magda.

And I'm starting to get annoyed at everyone--Charity, Tim, etc etc--calling her Mugda. I always thought it was pronounced Magda. Like MAGgie, and MAGazine.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Did You Notice?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:09:51 PM »
I am now imagining the caption picture with Evan standing there with his melted face in the foyer or whatever they called it, and I get the feeling there's a missing stairway, too.   Something buried far, far in the back of my mind bothered me about that photo, without coming close to consciousness.    An unexpected side effect of using the Hand, I guess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:03:17 AM »
An unexpected side effect of using the Hand, I guess.

[dancing_bones]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:59:32 AM »
I noticed that too, the staircase missing and you are absolutely right! I don't remember what episode either but I think it was more than one.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 05:31:33 AM »
I think it is in Set 14. I really want to get a closer look at it but I was doing something else with DS playing in the background and just happened to catch it, and didn't think to stop it until I thought about it later. I hate to go back and look for it through all those episodes, but it really is killing me so I might just have to! [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 04:34:29 PM »
I hate to go back and look for it through all those episodes, but it really is killing me so I might just have to!

If you *do* go back and find the ep #, please let us know what it is as now you got me curious!   [hall2_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: Did You Notice that they switched Collinwood around?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:05:28 AM »
Speaking  of "Did you notice," I was just watching DVD Volume 11, Disk 4.  This is an David/Amy in Quentin's room time period, Mrs. Findley and the buried alive phobia.  Several times in various episodes they show a shot of Collinwood that I wasn't quite familiar with where it's the tower and a short part of the builiding on the right hand side.  After hitting pause several times and squinting a few times, I realized that they had taken a shot of the tower and the left hand side of the usual shot of the house and just REVERSED it.

Freaked me out until I solved the mystery!  LOL!

Judy  [angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:26:31 AM »
I've just started watching the 1897 storyline and have viewed through to Ep. 705.  In Ep. 702, we see the staircase behind Barnabas and Magda in this picture.  I'll keep a lookout for "no staircase".
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 03:18:49 AM »
Good eye Angelique Wins! I didn't even notice in the first place lol! So I doubt if I had've noticed it that I ever would have figured out just what was so different about it.

And thanks DSBF! I hope that you find what I saw. Keep a close eye, as it's not too noticeable (I don't think) unless you're looking for it or are watching closely. I think I only noticed it when they were panning to and from Nicholas with his dangly eye on the other side of the cellar door.  [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:51:13 AM »
Boxset 14 disc 4 episode 766.

I just happened to be capping from this boxset to make new icons and there it was! Or wasn't I should say.

To see the capture:
Episode #0766
[edited by mod.]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
Gosh, what a wonderful picture!  Could you put it into Caption This!?  It's TEEMING with possibilities.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 11:31:16 AM »
What's she doing in that scene just then, or saying?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:11 PM »
Wondering how she's going to get the vacuum cleaner up to the second floor.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Did You Notice?/My Favorite Things
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »
"I guess when Baaaanabas said no playing on theee stairs, he really meeant it!"

Thank you so much arashi!!!! I knew I wasn't going insane! There it is, in all it's glory. The stairless-Old House. I wonder what happened to them that day. Any speculation?

One of my favorite things about watching Dark Shadows is the stray camera angles, like this one, where we catch more of the set and the surrounding area than we are supposed to. High shots that reveal the lights, shots too far to the right so that we catch the edge of another set in the picture also.

Looks to me like there is a little corridor back there behind where the stairs would be. Where does that lead? The dressing room? Make up? The can? Or perhaps THAT is where the characters always walk to when they say they are going to the study!

Looking at shots like these that reveal more than they are supposed to really let me put myself in the studio and try to find my way around. Unfortunately, not many of them are very good WIDE shots of everything else. I guess that's why the camera people kept their jobs lol.

Finally, speaking of "Did You Notice?"....

I'm watching the Leviathan storyline right now, and I noticed in one of the earliest episodes, I think it may be the one when Carolyn brings Julia to the antique shop for the first time, a stage hand is walking back and forth outside the shop, clearly seen through the window! lol
Brandon Collins

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 06:26:42 PM »
Gosh, what a wonderful picture!  Could you put it into Caption This!?

Yes!, and done.

What's she doing in that scene just then, or saying?

I think she was pacing about, waiting for Barnabas to come through the cellar door.  She'll have some 'splainin' to do, and not just about Quentin.  ;)