Author Topic: 1897 Question  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
1897 Question
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:18:42 PM »
Something's always bothered me about the family in 1897.  You had the grandmother, I can't remember her name, and then you had the grandchildren, Edward, Judith, Quentin and Carl.  So what happened to the generation in between?  I can't remember them ever being mentioned, and as far as the grandmother's will is concerned, I would think her inheritance would go to one of her children, not straight to the grandchildren.

Anyhow, that's always puzzled me.  Anybody know what happened to these folks?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 1897 Question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
I believe Judith told Barnabas that their grandmother had raised them when their parents died.  I figure this would have been in the mid-1870s.  There were all sorts of illnesses that could have carried the parents off, but that would be awfully pedestrian.  Maybe they found themselves in some parallel time and couldn't get back, and were missing and presumed dead.  Maybe the mother was Laura, and there was another child, and the father died while trying unsuccessfully to save the child.  Maybe Angelique killed them, just to stay in shape.  Maybe they took Quentin's staircase into the future and died in a plane crash in Brazil.  The possibilities are endless!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:42:13 PM »
What Lydia said is correct. Their parents died and then Edith and Daniel raised them.

But as for the Laura thing, I thought that did happen. I thought that Laura came and married one man, had the kid, and then that was Edward, and then she came back and married Edward and had Jamison? Maybe I'm just thinking of how she married Edward and had Jamison and then Jamison had Roger and Liz (I didn't skip a generation did I?) and then she came back and married Roger and had David. That always struck me as---HELLO! You're inbred enough! For peeps sake! Carolyn dated Joe and Chris, and both are related to her if I'm not mistaken! [spoiler]Chris is Quentin's grandson if I remember correctly.[/spoiler]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
I think it went like this:

[spoiler]
1780s - Laura was engaged to Jeremiah Collins but she perished in a fire
1880s - Laura marries Edward and has Jamison & Nora
1950s - Laura marries Roger (son of Jamison, so Laura's own grandson, ew.) and has David

But maybe there was more than one Laura running around, I just realized those inbreeding complications and am totally grossed out by it. No wonder David is so messed up.

[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:05:32 PM »
[spoiler]In the 1967  Laura story it went like this:

1767- Laura Murdoch Stockbridge died by fire
1867- Laura Murdoch Radcliffe and her son David died by fire
1967- Laura Murdoch Collins died by fire.[/spoiler]

So, there were other "Laura's around also.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »
Carolyn dated Joe and Chris, and both are related to her if I'm not mistaken!

Joe wasn't a Collins - he was seemingly related to the Jennings because his mother was most probably the sister of their father. [spoiler]Whereas the Collins relationship is passed through to the Jennings siblings through their mother, who was Quentin's granddaughter.[/spoiler] A search will bring up a few different topics on the forum that discuss this.  :)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 05:06:42 AM »
[spoiler]In the 1967  Laura story it went like this:

1767- Laura Murdoch Stockbridge died by fire
1867- Laura Murdoch Radcliffe and her son David died by fire
1967- Laura Murdoch Collins died by fire.[/spoiler]

So, there were other "Laura's around also.

That is something of a relief.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 03:33:48 AM »
I think it went like this:  [spoiler]1780s - Laura was engaged to Jeremiah Collins but she perished in a fire[/spoiler]

I thought that [spoiler]Laura and Jeremiah had a child that she came back and claimed.  Isn't that what Barnabas told Charity(?) in 1897 after he met Laura and remembered her from when he was a boy of 10?[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 05:01:34 PM »
if i'm remembering this correctly...

[spoiler]barnabas did say that jeremiah and laura had been married when he was a boy.at the time i found this startling because during the 1975 storyline there had been no mention of jeremiah having had a wife previous to josette.but of course the show told stories that contradicted what was already established all the time.[/spoiler]

to complicate this order further the pheonix is supposed to be on the 100 year cycle yet when laura shows up in 1966 it's only been 69 years since her last incarnation wreaked havoc on the collins family.

was it ever firmly established that jamison was liz and roger's father or are we just assuming this due to the time line?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 05:06:21 PM »
What Lydia said is correct. Their parents died and then Edith and Daniel raised them.

Wasn't Edith in 1840 married to Gabriel?  If this is suppose to be the same Edith in 1897, her husband would be Gabriel. It is so confusing when we start watching in 1897,  [spoiler]we see grandmama die and then go back to 1840 and see the younger Edith die!![/spoiler]
[/size]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 05:34:09 PM »
was it ever firmly established that jamison was liz and roger's father or are we just assuming this due to the time line?

I think somewhere in there when Quentin & Beth's ghosts are haunting the house Roger mentions that Jamison was his Father. I think (I my be wrong) it was when he found the letter adressed to Jamison from Quentin talking about an Oscar person who never made it to 1897.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 06:39:42 PM »
I think (I my be wrong) it was when he found the letter adressed to Jamison from Quentin talking about an Oscar person who never made it to 1897.

I believe "Oscar" was the original name for Edward. Anyone's guess why it was changed.

Though on a demented note can't you just see Judith going "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar......"

[91a2]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 06:54:09 PM »
I think somewhere in there when Quentin & Beth's ghosts are haunting the house Roger mentions that Jamison was his Father. I think (I my be wrong) it was when he found the letter adressed to Jamison from Quentin talking about an Oscar person

Great recall, arashi!--

Roger goes into the drawing room and opens his briefcase on the desk. A large book falls from the piano to the floor. Roger turns and looks at it. He picks it up and opens it. He finds a piece of paper inside, a letter. He looks at it, puzzled. When Carolyn comes in, he tells her it's a letter addressed to his father, Jamison, dated 1887. He must have been a boy, muses Roger. "Dear Jamison, you must return to Collinwood, I need your help. You must intercede with Oscar. Only you can save me." They wonder what it means. It's signed "Quentin." ...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 07:54:27 PM »
Wasn't Edith in 1840 married to Gabriel?  If this is suppose to be the same Edith in 1897, her husband would be Gabriel. It is so confusing when we start watching in 1897,  [spoiler]we see grandmama die and then go back to 1840 and see the younger Edith die!![/spoiler][/size]

Isn't is possible that perhaps, though unexplained, Gabriel was married to Edith, [spoiler]then she died, oops and then maybe her twin sister found out and came to switch places with her, really not being dead at all?!! Oh no, wait....that was Alexis and Angelique. Maybe Edith was another incarnation of Ang. and that was her practice round!!! lol......[/spoiler]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 09:08:52 PM »
I thought that [spoiler]Laura and Jeremiah had a child that she came back and claimed.  Isn't that what Barnabas told Charity(?) in 1897 after he met Laura and remembered her from when he was a boy of 10?[/spoiler]

Barnabas mentions that [spoiler]Jeremiah and Laura were married, but there's no mention of a child. What might have been interesting is if the show ever mentioned how/why their marriage ended. But I suppose they didn't think that was necessary. And, of course, it leaves yet another avenue for fanfiction to explore.  ;)[/spoiler]