Author Topic: 1897 Question  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: 1897 Question
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »
Barnabas mentions that [spoiler]Jeremiah and Laura were married, but there's no mention of a child. What might have been interesting is if the show ever mentioned how/why their marriage ended. But I suppose they didn't think that was necessary. And, of course, it leaves yet another avenue for fanfiction to explore.  ;)[/spoiler]

Hmmmm. I might take you up on that suggestion/idea!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 04:08:23 AM »
[spoiler]What might have been interesting is if the show ever mentioned how/why their marriage ended.[/spoiler]

Um, I thought [spoiler]the marriage ended when Laura burned to death in a fire.  Didn't Barnabas say her death was the greatest sorrow of Jeremiah's life, or words to that effect?[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 04:35:40 AM »
Um, I thought [spoiler]the marriage ended when Laura burned to death in a fire.  Didn't Barnabas say her death was the greatest sorrow of Jeremiah's life, or words to that effect?[/spoiler]

Hmmm, maybe. Honestly, I only remember Barnabas saying something to the effect that it was ironic that [spoiler]Laura died in a fire - or a fire killed her - or something like that. And if that was all that was said, then we can certainly presume her fiery death may have ended their marriage, but we probably can't be 100% certain of it.  ;)[/spoiler]

If someone else doesn't get to it before I do, I'll look up the episode when I get a chance.  :)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 04:59:15 AM »
I'm watching these episodes right now as a matter of fact! Here's what I've heard thus far:

[spoiler]Barnabas said that Laura Stockbridge Collins lived at Collinwood when he was a young boy, and he watched her pose for the portrait that he later gives to her in 1897. Her tombstone says that she died in 1785. Barnabas tells Charity that Jeremiah valued Laura very much as his wife. He says he was 10 when he first saw her, and thought she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. He says that fire killed her. That's all I've gotten to so far.[/spoiler]
Brandon Collins

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 05:10:28 AM »
Update!!! I am just now watching the episode where Barnabas reads from a book how Laura died. To quote directly:

[spoiler]"Laura Collins. Died, January 25th, 1875 (I'm sure he meant 1785). Cause of death, fire." He also says that Jeremiah was very upset to hear about her death.[/spoiler]
Brandon Collins

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 06:01:18 AM »
Cool, Brandon Collins!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »
There is a fan novel called "The Year the Fire Came" which tells the story of Jeremiah and Laura.  It's available from Kathleen Resch of The World of Dark Shadows.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
[spoiler]"Laura Collins. Died, January 25th, 1875 (I'm sure he meant 1785). Cause of death, fire." He also says that Jeremiah was very upset to hear about her death.[/spoiler]

So, if Barnabas was [spoiler]10 in 1785 when Laura died by fire, he was 20 in 1795!  I knew he was young![/spoiler]

Another example of 'suspension of disbelief', in other words, don't let the 43 year old actor make you think the character he's playing is 43!    8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 04:28:11 PM »
Since Laura likes to have children with her children and grandchildren, I like to speculate that if a Collins doesn't have a mother mentioned, Laura is their mother. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 05:06:54 PM »
So, if Barnabas was [spoiler]10 in 1785 when Laura died by fire, he was 20 in 1795!  I knew he was young![/spoiler]

Another example of 'suspension of disbelief', in other words, don't let the 43 year old actor make you think the character he's playing is 43!    8)

Barnabas said he was 10 the first time he laid eyes on Laura but didn't say he was 10 when she died:

Re: Robservations 11/22/02 - #...739 - Barnabas & Charity Look Into Laura's Past

I remember the first time I saw her, I was a child of 10 and I thought there could never be no more beautiful woman as long as I lived."  Charity asks, "When you were 10 years old?"  She was like a flame, says Barnabas, coming toward the house, that day in her bright orange riding habit.  How ironic that fire should kill her.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »
Update!!! I am just now watching the episode where Barnabas reads from a book how Laura died. To quote directly:

Ah, DS - we love it - but why is it that all too often things aren't made 100%, crystal clear - not to mention why do they forget things that they'd established only two episodes prior?  :-

When I'd answered earlier, I was only thinking of the scene in Ep #739 in which Barnabas tells Charity that [spoiler]Laura died in a fire[/spoiler]I'd completely forgotten about the infamous "Cousin, Uncle Jeremiah" scene in Ep #741.  ;)  But apparently Barnabas is even more forgetful than I because in Ep #739 he remembers how Laura died, yet in Ep #741 he doesn't (and I love how he remarks in Ep #741: [spoiler]"Fire. How could I have forgotten that?"[/spoiler]^-^). And it's also odd that while referring to the circumstances of her death, Barnabas says, "It was a sudden death. That I know. My father wrote me to say that my Cousin, Uncle Jeremiah was, was very disturbed. He said not to tell him when I returned home." Huh? Not to tell him what? That Laura was dead? That seems unlikly since I'm sure we're to assume Jeremiah was disturbed over her death. So, we're then left with the circumstances of her death. But shouldn't a man already know how his wife died? Or are we to assume that they simply told Jeremiah that Laura was dead but they refused to tell him how she died? It seems unlikely Jeremiah would accept that. But who knows? This IS the Collins family, after all - a family that seemingly has to cover up and avoid dealing with everything that's too unpleasant.  ::)  ... Although, if they were no longer married, it would have been easier to get away with not telling Jeremiah the circumstances.  ;)  And if the marriage had ended in divorce, it could easily explain why 1795 treats Jeremiah as if he had never been married. Divorce, though certainly much rarer than today, did happen in the 18th century - and it surely would have been a huge scandal if it became public knowledge. And if a divorce between Jeremiah and Laura did occur, like everything else that Joshua found distasteful, it's more than likely that he would have simply considered that the marriage didn't exist from that point on and probably even made up his own history. Laura could have been sent away, supposedly on an extended world tour without her husband (actually former husband) and no one outside the family was supposed to be the wiser. It would also explain why she would still be buried as a Collins. And in that scenario one can see Jeremiah only being told of Laura's death but the family being ordered by Joshua to never speak of it or the circumstances surrounding it. That's most probably not the way the DS writers conceived it because, well, let's face it, they rarely tried to explain away any discrepencies because apparently they hardly ever realized they were creating any. We can probably be 99% certain that Jeremiah and Laura were indeed still married when she died. But there's still that 1% uncertainty with the way the whole situation is presented - and that's still enough to open the door to a bit of fanfiction speculation.  [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »
Barnabas mentions that [spoiler]Jeremiah and Laura were married, but there's no mention of a child. ...[/spoiler]

Not only doesn't Barn mention [spoiler]a child[/spoiler]when he explains about Laura to Charity, but I'd completely forgotten that in Ep #741, when Sandor theorizes that the 1897 Laura could be Laura Stockbridge Collins' descendant, Barn responds [spoiler]"The original never had children."[/spoiler]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »
And it's also odd that while referring to the circumstances of her death, Barnabas says, "It was a sudden death. That I know. My father wrote me to say that my Cousin, Uncle Jeremiah was, was very disturbed. He said not to tell him when I returned home." Huh? Not to tell him what? That Laura was dead? That seems unlikly since I'm sure we're to assume Jeremiah was disturbed over her death.

It was probably a dialog blooper on Jonathan's part, the line was probably something like, "My father told me not to discuss it w/Jeremiah", in other words, Joshua probably told Barnabas not to talk to Jeremiah about it because it was too upsetting for him to talk about how she died.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »
It was probably a dialog blooper on Jonathan's part

Considering the "Cousin, Uncle" slip up, that's more than a possibility. Frid was flustered in the scene. But for better or worse, when it comes to DS canon, we're left to go by what actually took place/was said in the eps and not what might have been intended to take place/be said.  :)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 07:12:31 AM »
Isn't is possible that perhaps, though unexplained, Gabriel was married to Edith, [spoiler]then she died, oops and then maybe her twin sister found out and came to switch places with her, really not being dead at all?!! Oh no, wait....that was Alexis and Angelique. Maybe Edith was another incarnation of Ang. and that was her practice round!!! lol......[/spoiler]

LOL that is twisted!!
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/