Author Topic: Craig Hamrick  (Read 9844 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Craig Hamrick
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 06:06:07 AM »
I am truly sorry to hear this news, I send all my condolences to Craig, his family and friends. I never personally met the man, but I do thank him for all the hard work he did in helping to keep this series alive.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 06:36:56 AM »
I didn't know Craig, but I'm really sorry to hear this news.  Sounds like he must have been a wonderful person.  My sympathies to his family and friends.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 07:07:21 AM »
I never heard about him until he was about to go, but I want to know more, and hope there's something good waiting.   There's clearly a story there with Louis and him I wouldn't mind hearing more about someday.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 07:24:54 AM »
Check out these two websites, Magnus.

http://www.darkshadowsonline.com
http://www.craighamrick.com

I never heard about him until he was about to go, but I want to know more, and hope there's something good waiting.   There's clearly a story there with Louis and him I wouldn't mind hearing more about someday.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 01:16:38 PM »
I was offline all weekend and just heard this news today.  I am so very deeply sorry for Craig's loved ones.  I really do feel that it was not a coincidence that he passed over on Louis' birthday and that this should be taken as a positive, comforting sign that he's smiling and happy again.

I am sorry he left so soon but, relieved that Craig's battle is over and that he is now at peace.  It's hard for us to realize at times but, I really think that at some point, the only way we can be whole again is to move on to the next level - the ultimate healing so to speak.  I believe with all my heart that there is a better place and that he is now there.

Blessings to all.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 03:10:49 PM »
Condolences to Craig's loved ones. A sad time, but he will obviously be remembered fondly.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »
My condolences to Craig's family, husband and friends.  I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. 

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 09:23:42 PM »
I went to the fest this year and met Craig by sure luck. I saw him sitting at his table, and glanced at his nametag as I was walking past (my eyes were actually working that day!!) and I ran right up to my room and got my books of his for him to sign. Something told me to sit and talk with him a while, but I was too afraid I was going to miss something else, so I left after about 5 minutes. I wish I had've listened to my gut instinct.

I hope everyone he was close to will get through this and know that Craig is having a brandy with "Roger". Never too early to drink!

Cheers, Craig.
[/b]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline joesalvatore

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 12:22:58 AM »
I wanted to thank everyone in this chat forum for their kind words about my partner, Craig Hamrick.  I hope that you understand how difficult this time is for me and for our families. 

Having said that, I would ask that donations to any specific animal shelters be held until I've named the place of Craig's and my choice.  I am currently researching possibilities, and I intend to post the final choice by Wednesday of this week.  Other than to post that shelter information, I will not be responding to any other questions concerning Craig's passing or his memorial at this time.  Information about the memorial will be distributed when a date, time, and location have been set.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and your love for Craig.  I'm sure he is happy to know that he has touched so many people.

Joe Salvatore

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »
To all who knew and loved Craig you have my deepest sympathies, especially his partner Joe.   Elmont...

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2006, 06:36:19 PM »
Perhaps one of the things that could be done in Craig's memory is for any of us 40 or over to get tested for colon cancer. I know I put off my test for 5 years, just because it seems so unpleasant. Today I scheduled it. I did not know him, but I somehow think he might like this idea. Just a thought...
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2006, 08:03:25 PM »
If anything would make Craig do the dance of joy in the great beyond, this would, rainingwolf.   Cancer is an equal opportunity offender - young, old, smoker, non-smoker and everything and everyone in between - and there are tools we can use to do the very best we can to get screened/tested and take certain steps to protect ourselves. 

You know, something else about Craig that I want to say which I find remarkable.  I want to do so without sounding snarky.  Craig was a guy who grew up loving the TV culture and shows like Dark Shadows, obviously.  He became a writer, editor and photographer and through his work found ways to meet performers he admired as a child.  In the Dark Shadows fandom, he became good friends with Louis Edmonds and wrote his biography, he met Nancy Barrett, produced her cabaret shows in New York and got her to attend the Dark Shadows Festivals, he encouraged Marie Wallace to write her memoir, designed and launched websites for Lara Parker, Diana Millay, Denise Nickerson and on it goes. Last year a big dream came true when Craig had some trivia questions published in the TV Guide!

Now, there are plenty of people for whom all this would make them feel pretty self-important.  Not Craig.  He saw his accomplishments as the result of hard work and being blessed - not an entitlement of any kind.  He relished fulfilling things he could only dream of as a youngster and maintained that childlike awe about it all rather than a sense of being jaded.   Craig was a grounded person and a kind, helpful person.   His "connections" never went to his head though it certainly could in many people and the "connections" were used to help make projects to ultimately benefit fans happen.  Sure, it was also a business to Craig since he was "in the business" but he went out of his way many times for fans to get them information, provide guidance and even encouragement. 

Another friend of mine was (at the time) recently diagnosed as having cancer and had chemo to look forward to, and he was plenty scared.  I mentioned this to Craig and Craig told me to give his email addy to my friend and have my friend write to him.  The ensuing correspondence helped my friend a great deal.  Craig didn't have to do that and if anyone was tired of hearing about or dealing with cancer, it was Craig.  But he knew someone was scared and in the same situation he had been in during the initial stages of diagnosis.  He wanted to help.

That's the kind of person Craig was.

Nancy

Perhaps one of the things that could be done in Craig's memory is for any of us 40 or over to get tested for colon cancer. I know I put off my test for 5 years, just because it seems so unpleasant. Today I scheduled it. I did not know him, but I somehow think he might like this idea. Just a thought...

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
Thanks Nancy - what a beautiful tribute.  He certainly had an interesting life, great job, fascinating friends, and a loving family.  You can't ask for much more than that in this life.

Also - I agree with Nancy rainingwolf - excellent idea!  And don't worry about the procedure - it's really not all that bad! I hardly remembered it.

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2006, 08:42:28 PM »
How sweet of Craig's Joe to find the time to post here, I know things have got to be tough for him and Craig's other loved ones now?? I have a question, though, has any thought been given to setting up a memorial fund or how to do memorial donations on behalf of Craig to say the American Cancer Society or a colon cancer charity??  I was thinking that might be another nice thing to do, in keeping with those mentioning this has prompted them to get checked for colon cancer...

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2006, 09:20:51 PM »
How sweet of Craig's Joe to find the time to post here, I know things have got to be tough for him and Craig's other loved ones now?? I have a question, though, has any thought been given to setting up a memorial fund or how to do memorial donations on behalf of Craig to say the American Cancer Society or a colon cancer charity??  I was thinking that might be another nice thing to do, in keeping with those mentioning this has prompted them to get checked for colon cancer...

I love your name. I don't know what Joe has planned. I lost one of my best friends 3 years ago to Ovarian Cancer. And the greatest thing I could do for her was to get checked and when I did I found out I needed a hystrectomy. I had my colon tested a week ago also. It is always a wonderful thing to give to any fund.  Cancer has touched all our lives in some way. If you feel that is what you want to do then give, in the name of anyone that has touched your live that died from this horrible killer.

I had to go shopping today, High School reunion Saturday night. I am addicted to shopping, so I shopped for 2 hours and at the check out line it hit me like a brick. My friend Craig isn't here anymore. I miss him alot.

Janet