Author Topic: Craig Hamrick - prayer request  (Read 11771 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Hamrick - prayer request
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2006, 02:02:34 AM »
Very well articulated, Stuart. A lovely tribute to a friend for whom we pray for a miracle, of course, realizing at the same time it may not go the way we want.

I don't even remember when I first got to know Craig.  He is such an unassuming person.  I think I knew "of" him before I met and got to know him.  What impressed me was his utter joy at being involved in the fandom the way he was, writing about actors on DS he admired and getting to know them was a side benefit he did not expect.  People in such a position are targets for the jealous/envious type of folks but that didn't govern any part of how he ran his involvement with the fandom, the actors and other fans.  If a fan wanted advice or some kind of help from Craig and he could provide it, he would gladly give it.  There isn't any snobbery about Craig which some people in his position in fandom might have.  He tends to take on the human qualities of good experiences rather than use them to toot his own horn or act like he is such a big deal. 

Craig has always realized that it's not who you know and interact with that makes you important, it's the kind of person that you are and how you treat others.  I've known him to be a very kind person and, as Stuart and others have said, Craig has known for a long time this battle with cancer might not be one that he could win.  But he's won a much bigger battle: being a good person in a world that can make it very hard to be a good person.

Nancy

I've known Craig for eight years now...  I've been trying to think of something to write for a couple of days now, without any luck.  Anyway, here's a moment that I think sums him up perfectly.

Over the last couple of years, Craig travelled to London a couple of times with his partner Joe, and when he was in town, we'd catch up for lunch and gossip.  So, last summer, we spent an afternoon in Trafalgar Square, in the blazing sunshine, chatting about life and work, kitsch TV and Big Brother.  Something made him touch on his illness, and he shrugged "Well, I know I'll be like this for life," as if he didn't have a care in the world. And I really think he didn't.

That moment will stay with me forever.  There was an amazing thing - a man completely at peace with himself and the inevitable.  It was easy to forget Craig's health, because he had made his peace with it a long time ago.  No anger, no regret, no sadness - just an ordinary guy who enjoyed the world, his partner, and was having a great time doing so.

Honestly, I don't think you can mourn a life as well-lived as Craig's.  At the moment I'm scared of losing my friend, but I know how very lucky I've been to know him.

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2006, 03:14:13 AM »
Honestly, I don't think you can mourn a life as well-lived as Craig's.  At the moment I'm scared of losing my friend, but I know how very lucky I've been to know him.

Thank you Stuart. I will show Craig your post tomorrow. I have told you how he feels about you personal and proffesional. And by reading your post I can see how he feels that way. You are truley an old soul. I am sure Dean is whispering in Craig's ear " I am waiting for you friend, but take your time coming"

Janet

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Craig Hamrick
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2006, 04:28:12 AM »
 Recently Craig told me that he had wished he could have had a gallary showing of his photo's. I can only assume he wanted people to see his work. I hope he gets to see this thread started by his friend John. Because his work has been seen, it has touched people's lives. He will live on though his words. So many people have said such kind, loving and supportive things about him.

Right now I am in my own private hell. I can't even think of a life without him. Without his humor, his wisdom, and his love. I am trying to just think of the funny times we had, like bursting into his room at a fest and telling him to move over so I could sleep because my roomates were snoring.

When my daughter was born Craig bought her the book "The Wizard Of Oz" Craig was from kansas.He wrote in it, "To Kaitlyn, may you always follow your own yellow brick road" To all of you that have sent your support to me though whatever means you have. We never know how much time we will have. So, please follow your own yellow brick road, I am so proud of my dear friend, my Will, he lived his life just the way he wanted to. He left Kansas at 23 because he refused to live in the closet. I know, that the most special thing I could say about Craig, that would make him proud that I said it is..My friend Craig lived the life of a proud Gay man.

Your words mean so much to me
Janet

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2006, 04:41:32 AM »
Janet, Peter, and I will all pass on the words of comfort to Craig and/or Joe when we see them next week.

You guys have been a great help to me though this. I am there for you both also. We will get though this tragedy together.  I feel like God has sent you to me. I will be grateful to you both, forever.

janet

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Pray for DS fan/author Craig Hamrick
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
Craig has my prayer for a complete recovery. The Lord provides, and I pray He will watch over Craig and heal him.
                                                                                         Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

David

Honoring Craig
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
The  next installment of my Scary Reviews column in Scary Monsters Mag will be dedicated to Craig.

I'm also going to talk to my editor at Videoscope Mag about doing a tribute to Craig there.

I hope Craig, Joe & their loved ones are doing OK today.

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »
I am very sorry to hear about this.  (just now seeing this because I have been offline for the past five days)  My prayers are with Craig, Joe, and their loved ones.

Heartfully, Steve

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2006, 11:58:09 PM »
Please excuse my late reply on this one.  I haven't been over here since before the fest (combination of health issues, overtime and what I've finally given up and call my yearly 9/11 meltdown) so I am just seeing this now.

I've only had a couple of brief conversations with him, but my memory is of a very nice, friendly guy.  Reading through the posts from all of you who know Craig well, my heart is breaking for you. I only hope that he knows how much all of you think of him and treasure him -- not because of who he knows, or the things he's done for the fandom, but for the kind of person he IS.  He sounds like the kind of friend everyone hopes they can have.  Like everyone else, my thoughts and prayers are with him, his partner and his family, but unfortunately it sounds like the kindest thing we can hope for him is a release from his pain, in whatever form that release can come.

I'm not going to insult those of you who were close to him by telling you that I know how you feel, and mouth the platitudes that always come to mind in circumstances like these.  I can't know exactly how each of you feels -- all I can offer is sympathy and empathy, based on knowing how it felt when I lost my best friend of nearly thirty years, suddenly, not quite two years ago.

The only ray of light I can see in this situation is, in reading everyone's posts, the thread that shines through is that Craig made his life COUNT -- he did things that he wanted to do, things that made him happy and he leaves no regrets for things undone or unsaid.

I'd better end this here, I'm starting to blither..... [sad10]

HUGS to all of you....

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2006, 02:22:42 AM »
 I spent the day with Craig while Joe had to work. The hositial is making him comfortable. And Joe and I got to spend some time together he is very grateful for all your kind and supportive posts. He also asked for to be sent the link to this site so he could read each thread. Please know, he knows about this site and it is comforting to him that Craig and his work means so much to many people.

Janet

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2006, 02:34:50 AM »
Thanks for the update, Janet :)

Nancy

I spent the day with Craig while Joe had to work. The hositial is making him comfortable. And Joe and I got to spend some time together he is very grateful for all your kind and supportive posts. He also asked for to be sent the link to this site so he could read each thread. Please know, he knows about this site and it is comforting to him that Craig and his work means so much to many people.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2006, 04:05:37 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Craig's relapse, my prayers to him and his family.

And in defense of Charles, I am sure he did not mean any offense by enquiring what might happen to Craig's DS sites---they are indeed a lovely tribute to a man who did a lot for DSfandom, but of course the most important thing right now is Craig's health...

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
my thoughts and prayers are with him and God Bless him for thinking of others at a time like this

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
While I'm sure there are a wide range of diverse faiths represented by members of the Dark Shadows community and all who have occasion to read this board, it's probable that many would agree, that love is the strongest power in the universe.  Love is the power behind all creation.  Love heals.
Much has been written, and studies conducted, re: the power of prayer - also the effects of mass consciousness as a means of change.

It is obvious that Mr. Hamrick is loved by many and thought highly of by those who don't even know him personally.  While the soul's purpose at this moment in time must be respected, might I suggest that one of his close friends obtain his permission, and if so granted, everyone with the desire to participate, engage in a mass prayer undertaking?  If this forum is not the suitable place, another message board could easily be set up for communication purposes (if necessary).

I'm talking about serious, persistent prayer to affect healing - in whatever form of prayer it takes with each individual.  Thoughts are important as well.  Here and there I've seen comments being made that refer to Craig in a past sort of tense as if he has already passed -as if the whole thing is a fait accompli.  Thoughts are things.  They have a power and a energy of their own, and in combination with similar-type thoughts can have an undesired effect.

Who knows what the forces of many may have?  At the very least, the sending of love and positive energy can only be a good.

Perhaps in addition to constant and persistent prayer, specific times could be set up when everyone participating might, for instance, do creative visualization such as white healing light surrounding and entering through the top of his head, and driving the undesirable and unwanted cells out; that type of thing.

Once again, it would have to be with his knowledge and consent, maybe even his participation - being open and ready to receive.

Would people be interested?  If so, maybe someone with some experience in healing/healing group activities, or someone close to him, could organize it.

Blessings

:)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2006, 12:01:06 AM »
ould people be interested?

Definitely interested. Wonderful idea!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline JosettesMusicBox

• Full Poster
  • JosettesMusicBox
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2006, 01:55:14 AM »
I'm a prayer warrior!!!

I'd be more than happy to be involved!!!

Please let us all know!

~JosettesMusicBox