Author Topic: Craig Hamrick - prayer request  (Read 11833 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Hamrick - prayer request
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2006, 03:03:31 AM »
Buzz,
how did you know Eric & Carol?  I knew them well!  Carol & I both went on Diana Millay's Egypt trip in '88.  I believe Eric is still with us, in Florida, but no longer keeps in touch with fandom.  They were/are terrfic people.

I knew them from Fests.  I was led to believe that Eric had also died!  My apologies if I've erroneously put him in his grave!  But I *am* happy to hear he is alive and well!  ;)

Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
I am so shocked!  I thought Craig had beaten the cancer; I didn't know he was still battling it.  I feel so rotten for him and his family.  I met Craig at the 2003 Brooklyn festival and got to chat with him for some time (he had just pretty much gotten there so there weren't a lot of other people by his table; Diana Millay was sharing it with him, so I got to meet her, too).  He autographed the books of his that I purchased.  He was so nice and friendly to me.  My thoughts and sincere wishes go with him and his loved ones.  It never hurts to hold out hope that things will still turn around; please, let it be so.

Gerard

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2006, 02:16:17 AM »
Gerard, thank you for those kind words about Craig. Craig's first operation removed the colon cancer that was 4 years ago. But over the years the cancer kept coming back to different area's. According to Craig he reacted well to the new drugs that Katie Courtic (sp) help make legal in the USA. Those new drugs helped his body to destory lung cancer and other cancers in his body. He told me she gave him his extra years. Last Summer we almost lost him to blot clots, he is still battling those. The brain cancer was dealt with and he healed fast from that and was able to come to this last fest. This is a very tried soul. It certainly lived each day like the song says " Live like you are dieing"

Phoebe/Janet

Offline darkshadowsrick

• "Lara Parkers' best photographer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2006, 10:02:04 AM »
I am really sorry to hear the news about Craig. I had hoped that he would have more time.  I was constantly praying for God to give him more time with us.  Was so glad to see him at the festival, and we had a chance to chat awhile, and I had 2 pictures taken with him!  I sent him the pictures in the mail, but I don't know if he ever saw them.  I wanted it to be more personal than just having them online, although I sent him some that way, too.  He had last written to me on 8/31, and that was the last I'd heard from him.  I kind of knew something was up, as I never heard from him again after that.  Then I heard from my friend Rosella that he was in hospice, and I was so disturbed.  I hope he knows how much we think of him, how much we love him, I hope he feels that everyday.  I think his updated version of "Barnabas & Co." is just coming out next month.  How I wish he could be with us to see that.  I know, though, that he will see it no matter what, God must have a special place for this very special friend of ours.  God Bless you and Joe, and your family,  Love always,  Rick
darkshadowsrick
rick hatch

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »
This is sad news. I pray for his recovery and pray that a loving creator will show him mercy
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2006, 04:39:56 PM »
Gerard, thank you for those kind words about Craig. Craig's first operation removed the colon cancer that was 4 years ago. But over the years the cancer kept coming back to different area's. According to Craig he reacted well to the new drugs that Katie Courtic (sp) help make legal in the USA. Those new drugs helped his body to destory lung cancer and other cancers in his body. He told me she gave him his extra years. Last Summer we almost lost him to blot clots, he is still battling those. The brain cancer was dealt with and he healed fast from that and was able to come to this last fest. This is a very tried soul. It certainly lived each day like the song says " Live like you are dieing"

Janet, when I was at the 2003 fest and came upon Craig's table, he was still pretty much setting up, not only his own items, but helping with Diana Millay's as well (and she turned out to be rather a character; she was rushing trying to get things done and was a bit demanding, so things were a bit hectic for him).  On the rare occasions when I've been able to meet celebrities, I try not to be a "star-struck hog," and consume all their time.  Obviously, they have to deal with that all the time and I'm sure it can be trying.  So I try to just tell them how much I appreciate the happiness they've brought me, and then move on so as not to be in their way.  I tried doing that with Craig, since he was so obviously busy.  But he would have none of that.  He took time out to ask me questions about myself (as if I was really an interesting person to him), to have a friendly conversation of true substance (he asked a gazillion questions when he discovered that I had just disembarked in NYC that day from a cruise to Bermuda, envying my tan), even though he had so much to do - displays needed to be put up, boxes needed to be unpacked, and Miss Millay needed tending to.  It didn't matter to him; what mattered was showing friendliness and time to a bothersome fan.  As we conversed, it was becoming apparent that Miss Millay was becoming a bit more frazzled trying to get things done.  I asked, feeling a tad guilty, if I could be of service.  She immediately handed me armsful of books and stands and pointed, saying:  "Put these over here, and those over there."  As I did so, he just looked at me and gave a mischievious giggle, as if to say:  "You shouldn't have asked!  Now you're in for the long haul!"

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »
I am really at a loss for words. Being a long time Fest attendee, I remember speaking to Craig many times. Craig is such a nice person and is so understanding of fans and people and it is always great to see a person filled with tremendous enthusiasm for Dark Shadows and for life. I will say a prayer for Craig and his family and for his many friends.

David

Craig Hamrick~~a personal story
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »
Craig & I met around 1993 through our mutual friend Big Lou~~Louis Edmonds.
To put it mildly, I was not an easy person to be around back then~~I was suffering from the highs and lows of undiagnosed, untreated manic depression~~AKA bi-polar disorder.

After seeing Craig at Louis' house a few times, the three of us went to a few movies together.
I recall being a nervous, out of conrol wreck every time, but Craig, bless him, never held this against me.

A few years later, for no reason at all, I decided that Craig was not a nice person, that he was doing "this, that and the other thing".
I actually remember exactly what I thought & said of him, all of it nonsense brought on by my disease, but I'll keep that to myself.
Suffice to say that I wasn't very nice to him.
(he wasn't the only one)

I now take meds three times a day.
Thank God, I'm now symptom free.
Sane again!

When I approached Craig at his fest table one year and tried to make ammends, he stood up and embraced me!!!

To this day, there are people who hold my disease~~a treatable medical condition~~against me as though it were a crime.
Not Craig Hamrick.

Those of you who think Craig is a nice guy don't know the half of it.
Craig is a very special, and loving human being.

God Bless you, Craig.
I will never forget you.

David N
SF CA (Formerly of Hoboken NJ)

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2006, 06:48:15 PM »
David I am glad you are on the road to wellness.

I find my mind wandering the last few days and have been trying to keep creative.  Which is another thing I learned from Craig.  He was able to channel energy even when he couldn;t get off th ecouch...to write...to work on the website..e.tc.  So I am updating our website, You Tube, etc...  However, I just can't shake this and Peter is trying to get me out of my funk.

Janet, Peter, and I will all pass on the words of comfort to Craig and/or Joe when we see them next week.

Thankjs,
JOhn

Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2006, 10:27:12 PM »
 My thoughts are with Craig,Joe his family and all who know and love him. Elmont...

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2006, 12:26:42 AM »
I just realized something: who will take care of Dark Shadows Online?  Also, Craig was planning to put out the new edition of Barnabas & Co. next month.  I suppose he made longterm plans for the maintenance of his site and his book in case things got terminal, but I never thought this soon......

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2006, 12:45:35 AM »
Charles,

My first reaction here is one of anger...when I need to keep the love and positive energy flowing.

The least of any of our concerns right now is the maintenance of the website or the book re-release.

After taking a couple of deep breaths here...I am going to soften the blow.

CHARLES LOOK PAST DS for a moment and see that there is a human being here.  One who has touched our lives through DS...perhaps that is the only way for you.  However, he is much more than that.  He is funny and talented and loving and compassionate.

Craig's legacy will live on and there are many people to make sure of that.  So if you are concerned about these projects...get over it.

I have rewritten this email so many times as I want to keep the positive energy moving for Craig.

Janet and Anna I am sure you are feelling this is completley inappropriate a post for this prayer circle as Peter and I do.  Please ask the moderator to move it to a new thread...but at least off this one here.

Charles I wish you the best in dealing with this.  I know you are human as well.  But really please think before you type.

Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2006, 01:23:27 AM »
Guys- my concern was that all that he worked for survives him, as a kind of tesament to all the great work he did as an author.  As a history buff, I compare it to say, William Shakespeare dying without anyone preserving his sonnets or Hamlet or any of his dramatic works.  To infer that I am being insensitive is way off the mark!  Twelve years ago I watched my Uncle Bill die of liver cancer, and it broke my heart to see a strapping six-footer who once weighed over 200 pounds waste away- such a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone.  He was one of the nicest people I knew, and his loss still hurts to this day.  So I only know too well what Craig's family and Joe are going through right now.  The last thing I would want to do is to upset anyone at this point.  And I thought you guys knew me better.

David

Time For a Group Hug
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2006, 01:29:58 AM »
At a time like this, people's emotions run wild, but everyone means well.
Let's all take a deep breath.

"Just For Today I will not worry
 Just For Today I will not be angry
 Just for today, I will honor my parents, teachers and
 elders,
 Just for today, I will show gratitude to everything"

~~~~~Master Mikao Usui
                       teacher of the ancient healing
                       art of  Reiki

David

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2006, 01:42:18 AM »
I've known Craig for eight years now...  I've been trying to think of something to write for a couple of days now, without any luck.  Anyway, here's a moment that I think sums him up perfectly.

Over the last couple of years, Craig travelled to London a couple of times with his partner Joe, and when he was in town, we'd catch up for lunch and gossip.  So, last summer, we spent an afternoon in Trafalgar Square, in the blazing sunshine, chatting about life and work, kitsch TV and Big Brother.  Something made him touch on his illness, and he shrugged "Well, I know I'll be like this for life," as if he didn't have a care in the world. And I really think he didn't.

That moment will stay with me forever.  There was an amazing thing - a man completely at peace with himself and the inevitable.  It was easy to forget Craig's health, because he had made his peace with it a long time ago.  No anger, no regret, no sadness - just an ordinary guy who enjoyed the world, his partner, and was having a great time doing so.

Honestly, I don't think you can mourn a life as well-lived as Craig's.  At the moment I'm scared of losing my friend, but I know how very lucky I've been to know him.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online