Author Topic: Remembering Grayson Hall  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Remembering Grayson Hall
« on: August 29, 2006, 08:31:14 PM »
A few fans have asked me how the panel at the Festival on the new biography of Grayson Hall went.  I'm very pleased to report that the panel was exceptionally well-run, kicking off with some great opening remarks by author RJ Jamison.  RJ asked "Are there any Grayson Hall fans in the audience?" and the wild and lusty cheering that ensued left no doubt she was, as it were, "preaching to the choir."  After explaining some background to the publication of the biography and thanking those who had assisted her, RJ introduced a wonderful video montage showcasing a wide range of Grayson's non-DS work.  Fans enjoyed clips from the 1951 "Lights out!" episode, Satan in High Heels (filmed 1960), Night of the Iguana (1964), That Darn Cat (1965), The Man from UNCLE (1966), Who are you, Polly Magoo? (also 1966), End of the Road (filmed 1968), Adam at 6 AM (filmed during Grayson's hiatus from the 1897 storyline in September of '69), Kojak (1974), and One Life to Live (1982).

After the video, Nancy Barrett took the stage and read excerpts from the book.  I was impressed by Nancy's fluid command of correct Spanish and French pronunciation--she's clearly as well educated linguistically as Grayson herself.  After the reading, Nancy generously stayed on board for a short Q & A.  Nancy shared that nearly everyone adored Grayson because she was so "odd" and such a unique character that she disarmed just about everyone.  She also noted that for Grayson, "family always, always came first," and that one of the reasons Grayson cherished being on DS is that it kept her family in New York City.

The half hour allotted to the program flew by all too quickly.  Among other topics covered in the Q & A was the fact that Mike Nichols intended for quite some time to cast Grayson as Mrs Robinson in "The Graduate."  A fascinating possibility, which almost certainly would have kept her out of "the shadows" forever.  Since I personally cannot imagine Collinwood without Dr. Hoffman (world's record-holding houseguest), I'm personally glad "The Graduate" fell through for her.  Grayson herself apparently regarded it as the greatest loss in her career.

"Grayson Hall: a hard act to follow" by R J Jamison is available at www.graysonhall.net and through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

G.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Grayson Hall
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks so much for the report, Gothick!  :)

I'm in complete agreement with you, I can't see Dark Shadows without Julia Hoffman. After all, it was her nerves of steel that allowed her to confront Barnabas about being a vampire, and it was from this confrontation that their friendship began.

Through them we were able to experience many adventures.  Grayson Hall did an excellent job with the character, and it is her acting ability which makes us care so much for Julia.

IMHO, it is a testament to great acting when an actor or actress can create a character from the lines they are given, then invest a part of themselves in to that character, which together combine to form a person the audience can grow to care so much for.

Grayson did this beautifully, and it is thanks to her that we still continue to enjoy the strong willed, compassionate Julia Hoffman.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:06:33 PM »
I agree that the Grayson Hall segment was really lovely.  I still can't get over the fact that R Jamison was able to get Sam and Matt Hall to cooperate so completely.

nancy

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 01:17:39 AM »
I agree that the Grayson Hall segment was really lovely.

I've gotta second that. It was really lovely. Definitely a highlight.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:14:26 AM »
I agree that the Grayson Hall segment was really lovely.

I've gotta second that. It was really lovely. Definitely a highlight.

Being a 3rd cousin from Virginia, I'll third that. I commented to retzev, with whom I had the pleasure of attending this part of the fest, that I noticed during this segment that the very packed room was totally silent, everyone was staring at the stage, thoroughly enjoying the presentation. I asked the author, Ms. Jamison, if she had noticed how enraptured the crowd was but she hadn't, as I'm sure she was nervous enough. It was magnificently well done, a culmination of much anticipation. The video presentation was fantastic, and having Nancy Barrett there to provide her own insightful comments was brilliant.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »
Many thanks for the report Steve...gawd, I wish I could've been there.  :-[   :-*
Hope you all had a blast!
Go RJ!  ;D   :-*

p.s.  I'm part way through the bio, and I have to say, the book is fantastic. It's SO well researched; educational and entertaining at the same time. A nice mix of funny, thoughtful and poignant moments are woven throughout the text...and the pictures enhance the experience all the more. Just a damn good read, period.  [book2] 

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Grayson Hall -- photos
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »

RJ Jamison & friends

Nancy Barrett reads from Grayson Hall, A Hard Act to Follow during RJ's presentation

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 09:43:42 PM »
Thanks, Midnite, for those photographs.  Excellent!

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »
Thank you SO much, Midnite...

First time I'm seeing pics of fellow members of the Legion this year.    :-* :-*

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 01:52:21 AM »
Gothick  :-* thanks for this report.

May I ask what phrases/words Nancy Barrett had to say in Spanish & French? (And you mention Grayson was fluid in Span & French...do you have any background on why she was?)

Thanks again love!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:13:23 AM »
May I ask what phrases/words Nancy Barrett had to say in Spanish & French? (And you mention Grayson was fluid in Span & French...do you have any background on why she was?)

She said Jose Quintero (who was Panamanian) and pronounced the title of Grayson's French film in French.

Grayson studied French starting in high school and took lessons off and on for the rest of her life. 
Julia99

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:21:13 AM »
Thanks for your feedback on the Divine One's segment, Gothick -
and I must say, the Grayson book is excellent! Required reading for any DS fan. Splendid job, RJ. A lot of quality, dignity, and heart went into that presentation, I'm sure.

Was there a video taken of this portion of the DS Fest? I must have it! I must!!! (He says in familiar "Julia" voice)

-Sandor

David

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 06:07:14 AM »
The book is flawless & wonderful.
RJ should be proud.

I think GH should have played Mrs. Robinson AND Doc Julia!!!

BTW, San Francisco drag queen Mathew Martin, who's mentioned in RJ's book, and who's currently playing Joan Crawford in a stage show here, is planning to do a one woman show~~as Grayson!
Should be good!

David

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 11:11:30 AM »
Was there a video taken of this portion of the DS Fest? I must have it! I must!!! (He says in familiar "Julia" voice)

Me too.  I'd really like to have a video.  I can't wait to get a copy of the book.  Saw that first chapter online and it totally grabbed me.  Nice introduction too.   :-*

Thanks Steve, for the report.  (Was gonna ask you in an email about it - now I don't have to)  ;)

What I'd like to know is, if Nichols had intended to use Grayson in The Graduate, why did he end up NOT using her??

Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »
Me too.  I'd really like to have a video.

Oh what the hell...me three... ;)

I can't wait to get a copy of the book.

you won't regret it Connie...its so good I can't put it down, even though I'm in the middle of finals. ;D :-*