Author Topic: Had Fun at the Fest  (Read 19740 times)

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
Re: Had Fun at the Fest
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 02:43:56 AM »
I had a great time at the festival. I went Saturday and Sunday.  It was my first time to go; couldn't pass up the chance to go since I moved to NY earlier in the year. I thought to myself now I know how the nearsighted castmembers felt when they couldn't see the teleprompt because I couldn't see the nametags well enough to see if I recognized names. I talked to some really nice people in lines but did not introduce myself since I didn't think anyone would remember me (and I admit I was feeling a bit bashful), though I did introduce myself to Marcy Robins.

I had a great time meeting Marie Wallace, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker, Jerry Lacy, John Karlen, Nancy Barrett and Betsy Durkin. I did not get a chance to meet David Selby, Donna McKechnie, Lisa Richards or Donna Wandrey, who I REALLY wanted to meet. She had left to go to rehearsal by the time I got there. I almost missed Nancy Barrett but she stayed a bit longer to sign CDs for a few of us that were close to her table when it was time to go to rehearsal.

(When I was in line to get Nancy Barrett's autograph on Sunday, I talked with a very nice woman, I think she was from Florida, who had said she missed on Saturday Diana Millay because Millay  suddenly announced she had to stop signing for a bit. I don't know if she posts on this board, but I just wanted to say the same thing happened to me later that day when I was almost at her table LOL. Oh well.)

My favorite moments: Jonathan Frid's call and the Grayson Hall panel.

I really enjoyed Betsy Durkin's talk and I have much more appreciation for her work on DS. She seemed really touched at her response and I felt very good for her. I too agree that she should have done Vicki in the dramatic reading.

I am glad to have gotten a chance to watch the WB pilot but I was disappointed some of the casting.

Wiley
Wiley S.

Offline JennieSim80

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 03:35:15 AM »
I thought Marley Shelton, who portrayed Victoria Winters did a pretty good job, but I do agree that the rest of the cast was a bit off. Kelly Hu made a horrible Dr. Julia Hoffman. I know she had only a couple of scenes, but she totally screamed, "Hey, I'm fresh out of med school!"  In my humble opinion I think the role should have gone to an older and more experienced actress.

Ah, Grayson...you've spoiled me.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 04:21:25 AM »
Hi Everybody!!!

I had SUCH a blast at the Fest!!!!  NY! NY!  Would have loved to have seen more of it.  I've only been to JFK a gazillion years ago, and that was it.  But this time, I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge with friends Diane and Sunny and cruised the waterfront, had French fries and a Pepsi at a waterfront cafe right across from the water taxi, and took the water taxi back.  Saw the Statue of Liberty from a distance!!!  That was it for me, tourist-wise!  I wanted to see EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY at the Fest.

Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, both funny, warm and gracious!  And BETSY DURKIN!!!!  Glad everybody had the same opinion I did about her.  In the words of Sister Mary Clarence of Sister Act, "Don't you just LOVE HER?"   [love7]

She was sooo sweet.  And it wasn't that I was shocked that she was nice or anything.  It's just that I didn't expect to go to the Fest and have long conversation with her.  Her FIRST comment to me was at the Gala when I was in costume for our play and was about how nice my costume looked.  And then the next day, when I asked her if she'd sign my program, she said, "Sure!  So did your play go all right last night?  I couldn't stay, but you that was a great costume you had on.  I hoped your play went well."

Then I asked her how much the pictures that she had were.  She told me, but then pointed to her book, "Dressing the Man You Love:A Woman's Guide to Purchasing, Coordinating and Caring for His Classic Wardrobe" and I grinned and said, "Sorry, Betsy, but I don't have a man to dress."  And she looked at me and very sincerely went, "Well, originally I was going to try to include a man with the book but it didn't work out."  LOL!  I LOVE her!!!  I was sorry that I missed most of her talk--I had to leave, cause I was FREEZING in the auditorium so I missed most of it.  I had to run back up to my room and get a BLANKET and a sweater.   I think I was sitting under an airconditioning vent.  I was practically blue. 

I did catch the beginning.  It was SOOO cute though, when they showed a few Vicki/Jeff scenes where Jeff has realized [spoiler]that he IS from the past and he's telling her he has to go back and she can't come and "Remember I love you..." [/spoiler] And then they stopped the tape and it was her turn at the podium and she was crying!  She was so sweet.  She wiped her eyes and she goes, "Oh dear!  I haven't seen that in YEARS and it just got to me!!!"

That night (Sat) was the first time I talked to her briefly, before the Gala, and then the next day was when I got her autograph.  I went right back and bought a photo from her...the one you've all seen--Joan Bennett, JF, Betsy, and Denise Nickerson at the rehearsal table.  I told her I didn't know if I should get the one I recognized (that one) or one of how she looks today.  So she told me that as a DS fan, I'd probably get more out of the one I just mentioned, cause it was a DS rehearsal pic.  I said, "Good point, you SOLD me!"  Then after that, we talked about Vicki and I told her my thoughts on Vicki's fate.  I didn't know iif she had followed the show after, and I told her that I had my fan fic up online and that is what the next storyline is going to be.  She said that she just might have to take a look at it.

She was just SO warm and friendly and caring.  She seemed like a genuine sweetheart.   Go Betsy!!!  [cheer]

And I made it to the Gala this year!  Yay me!!!  Yay us!  Judy and Diane --and  Lali came and joined us for the DS Anthem!!!  Thanks guys!!!

That's all for now.  Just wanted to add my two cents worth for now!!!

Judy [angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 04:29:14 AM »
I really enjoyed Betsy Durkin's talk and I have much more appreciation for her work on DS. She seemed really touched at her response and I felt very good for her. I too agree that she should have done Vicki in the dramatic reading.

I, too, very much enjoyed her session, and meant to comment on it earlier. I was so pleased that SHE seemed to be so pleased with the audience's acceptance of her. I was so surprised to discover that she only appeared in 10 episodes. I guess I'd read that before, but it sure seems like more than that! I thought she was charming and very graceful and loved the stories she told, such as sneaking the kids into the studio as a Christmas gift. It was very, very nice highlight of the fest. Ditto that she should've played Vicki in the episode re-creation.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 04:56:31 AM »
...And I made it to the Gala this year!  Yay me!!!  Yay us!  Judy and Diane --and  Lali came and joined us for the DS Anthem!!!  Thanks guys!!!

That's all for now.  Just wanted to add my two cents worth for now!!!

That all sounds so neat! Do you have any pix to share with us?? :) ~DJ

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 08:02:46 AM »
LOVED seeing cousins Teresalita and ReneeC (that was all too brief, and I so wanted to see pics of your house, Teresa), MsCriseyde, Sheenasma, ClaudeNorth (come back to us, we love you!), D Friedlander, Minja, BuzzH, Nancybe, Julia99, Bette, CyrusL, joe integlia, Crazy Jenny, Penny Dreadful, John in SC, Nancy, Raineypark, victoriawinters, Dawn, Karlenfan, darkshadowsrick, Cassandra, The Ghost of Sarah Collins, ProfStokes, Bobubas, Stuart, Selby D. Pearson, EmeraldRose, Evan Hanley, jimbo, Mary, Gothick, JVjr (whom I almost didn't recognize), LdyAnne, LeBrat, and Shadowlady!

It was great seeing you too, MIdnite!  Wow, you've got a good memory for listing all those names!  I don't want to start mentioning who it was good to see and meet because I know I'd forget someone -- several probably! -- LOL!  But it was good indeed to see everyone and meet some for the first time!

I also wanted to agree with those who've said how nice Betsy Durkin was and that it would have been a neat idea for her to have played Vicki in the script they acted out.

Jonathan Frid's surprise phone call was just wonderful -- he was so friendly and nice.  One thing no one has mentioned about it yet is that he wanted to take questions from the audience but there wasn't time since the rest of the cast was onstage for the reunion.  I thought it was a shame that they couldn't have planned a little extra time for him to do a Q&A since his call was such a special surprise and he was so ready, willing and able to do it.  Maybe they could do it next year?       

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 10:53:45 AM »
Then I asked her how much the pictures that she had were.  She told me, but then pointed to her book, "Dressing the Man You Love:A Woman's Guide to Purchasing, Coordinating and Caring for His Classic Wardrobe" and I grinned and said, "Sorry, Betsy, but I don't have a man to dress."  And she looked at me and very sincerely went, "Well, originally I was going to try to include a man with the book but it didn't work out."  LOL!  I LOVE her!!!

Sweet and a good sense of humor. What a gal!!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 06:35:32 PM »
Jonathan was willing to take questions from the audience and they did not allow enough time for it!! Incredible!! I can't believe the actors in the cast reunion would have minded that, sounds like maybe Jim Pierson was throwing his weigt around again!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 06:53:07 PM »
Well, as enjoyable as it would have been to have the opportunity to ask questions of JF and hear him field questions about the series, etc., a large group of actors were present to begin their panel.  I understand the frustration and disappointment, but sometimes hard decisions have to be made with an eye on keeping the event running smoothly.  Just my take on it.

It was great seeing you too, MIdnite!  Wow, you've got a good memory for listing all those names!  I don't want to start mentioning who it was good to see and meet because I know I'd forget someone -- several probably! -- LOL!  But it was good indeed to see everyone and meet some for the first time!

LOL, I did miss someone.  My apologies, adamsgirl, it was nice meeting you!

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 07:03:17 PM »
That all sounds so neat! Do you have any pix to share with us?? :) ~DJ

Cameras don't like me--on either side of the lens, LOL!  But lots of friends took lots of pics.  They are sure to be up on websites near you Very Soon.  (The pictures.  Not the friends.  On the websites.)

Judy  [angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 07:57:41 PM »
sounds like maybe Jim Pierson was throwing his weigt around again!!

Boy, imagine that, the Fest Chairman throwing his weight around!  ;)  (kidding-kidding)

But seriously, I echo Midnite's sentiments, it *would* have been nice, but one does have to stay on schedule as much as possible (and god knows they were WAY behind all day Saturday too!) and let's face it, w/Jon being gone from fandom for 13 years now (from Fests anyway) probably 90% of the Q&A would have been directed at him.  ;)  It may have annoyed the other actors had that actually been the case.

But I do agree, if they can get Jon to call in next year, maybe they should alot enough time and maybe have it be HIS Q&A exclusively.  That would be fun, especially for ppl who never got to meet him (maybe even do as David Selby suggested and include video).  I'm just glad I got to see him live 5 times.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 11:57:41 PM »
First of all I would just like to thank everyone for posting such wonderful stories of the fest. For those of us unable to attend, they're great and very much appreciated!  :)

Now as for Jonathan Frid being so willing to answer questions, next year if they no in advance of his call, they should provide an entire day for questions and answers! LOL!  8) ;D
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »
I have loved reading all your posts about the Fest--thanks so much for the descriptions and pix! Because I am mostly confined to bed on a ventilator, the computer and DVD/VHS are my main sources of pleasure. I have all the DVDs out so far and a complete set of the Collectors VHS tapes. I LOVE DS! So glad to meet all of you online, and so enjoy all your comments. Thanks for making my day(s)!Q: Any info on when the 2007 Fest will be? If it is wheelchair accessible, there is a chance my hubby and I could make it, with lots of preparation--I can only be up an hour or so at a time, but might be able to see some of the things there?
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2006, 12:36:06 AM »
 I had such a good time at the fest this year. I was only able to attend on sunday but from what I've read in your posts,I picked the best day. The fact that there were less people than at past fests made the actors more accessible I thought. I did try to read fans nametags to see if I could find forum people but the print was too small. Perhaps next year we should have a forum sign in sheet.  Elmont...

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2006, 12:43:53 AM »
I have loved reading all your posts about the Fest--thanks so much for the descriptions and pix! Because I am mostly confined to bed on a ventilator, the computer and DVD/VHS are my main sources of pleasure. I have all the DVDs out so far and a complete set of the Collectors VHS tapes. I LOVE DS! So glad to meet all of you online, and so enjoy all your comments. Thanks for making my day(s)!Q: Any info on when the 2007 Fest will be? If it is wheelchair accessible, there is a chance my hubby and I could make it, with lots of preparation--I can only be up an hour or so at a time, but might be able to see some of the things there?
I think you would find it very wheelchair accessible and that many of the fest volunteers/fans go out of their way to help those who might need special care or arrangements. I think it would be a wonderful exciting weekend for you. There is down time in case you need a break to eat or just rest.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"