Author Topic: Had Fun at the Fest  (Read 19725 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Had Fun at the Fest
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 03:27:49 PM »
I went for a drink of water and found Conard sitting next to Chris Pennock. As he had only a few people there, I got him to sign mine and a friend's book. I told him how much I liked the stories he appeared in, which is true, and asked if he remembered anything about Daniel Keyes. Conard smiled and said, "Honestly, the most memorable thing to me was digging that grave with Vicki, cut to commercial. The we came back, I still looked great, lol, but not a hair out of place, no dirt, and the coffin, which was supposed to have been, what, a couple of hundred years old, look like new. Because Dan borrowed it and we couldn't dirty it up!"   [grim] (This was part of the Phoenix story) Conard also dropped by to say hello to Betsy Durkin, whom he apparently knew previously. I feel lucky I got to meet Conard as his visit at the show was relatively brief. I also chatted and exchanged manly hugs with Chris Pennock. Chris has been a favorite ever since I sat at his table at my first show. I always buy his new comic, and they are funny! Betsy Durkin was very sweet, even answering my questions about tuxedos. (We Masons have to wear tuxedos about 9 months of the year.) Betsy revealed to us at the show that she was once, The Irish Spring Girl, "Clean, fresh scent,  Manly yes, but ladies like it too!" The Dan Curtis film tribute was very well edited and, hardly a dry eye in the house, especially with the "Saving Milly" footage. 

Hey Michael, I too enjoyed Conrad when I met him at his first Fest back in '97.  He was SO sweet and gracious, he made a fan for life when I met him as did Betsy this Fest.  She was a sweetheart wasn't she?  I don't know one person who met her that didn't say the same thing.  And Chris Pennock has always been nice and I've always liked him, but now I *really* like him as he was SO nice and funny when I finally got around to buying all 6 of his DS themed comics, and you're correct, they ARE absolutely hilarious!  He's a sick puppy, which is why I like him!  ;)  I also enjoyed discussing his anti-Bush tee shirt and he and I had a lengthly discussion about what we dislike about the current sitting US President.   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 05:34:29 PM »
That was THE most fun Fest!  It was a nice crowd-- not as many people as I anticipated for a milestone anniversary on the East coast, but I'm not complaining.  Maybe the attendance was 2000?

It was definitely the most expensive, however.  I'm referring to the temptations on the various tables.  The setup was a bit more like a typical autograph show than in Fests past, or at least that's how it seemed to me.  I had to pick up RJ's book, the audio CDs, a bit of fan fic, a photo from Betsy Durkin, the Bloopers DVD and a coupla other new MPI goodies, another charm from CynD, and Donna McKechnie's book.  I decided to wait to get KLS' fic since she will sign books ordered online same as if they're bought in person.  I've heard good things about it, but I have plenty of reading to keep me busy for a while.  Lara Parker did steady business, but I'd already received her new novel as a gift.

mscbryk, thank you for pointing that out about the 1st ep voiceover's script!  But Lara Parker as Vicki bugged me anyway.  My favorite casting for those presentations was Jerry Lacy as Bramwell.  Bette pointed out for me, and I thought it was cool, that the final line of dialogue from the series was given to Bramwell as originally intended instead of spoken by Ben as we saw on the series [spoiler]("If I didn't know better... I'd say she'd been attacked by a vampire").[/spoiler]

jonathan frid's surprise phone call was cool too.
He called while the fest was going? What did he say?

Let me see... He began by introducing himself as "Jonathan Frid, or 'Barny'".  He was surprised and thrilled there was a thousand people hearing his voice and Pierson indicated there were many more present.  He said, "Guess what?" and told us he was reviewing the script he'd be reading later that day for placement soon on his website.  He's still bug-eyed about the technology but considers playing with his website to be his new career.  He was afraid the call wasn't going to happen because he hadn't paid his bill; apparently Bell Canada had been trying to reach him but he didn't realize it was to get him to pay.  How awful it would be if the call was cut off, he said, but at least service was working at that moment, or at least he could receive calls (which I assume meant that Pierson made the call).  His email system broke down recently, so he would've thought it dreadful to not have phone service either.  Pierson said it was 39 years for Frid, who responded, "How time flies."  He mentioned Gone With the Wind coming out around 1940 but losing its cast quickly, with only Olivia de Havilland left for a time, and Pierson pointed out that she was still with us.  Frid:  "She's still here?  For heaven's sake."  He said not to be facetious, "but so many of us are gone."  He believes they [his DS castmates who have passed away] are all happy wherever they are.  "Here I am," he said, "I am going to live forever" and the audience applauded wildly.  Pierson listed the cast members that were present representing the show (a panel was about to take place) and said we will see his video later that night.  Frid:  "It will be a surprise... the most real representation of my ugly face."  Then, "I'm very pleased with my appearance for 81, 82, whatever I am."  He was told we love him, and he said he hoped we'll enjoy his video.  Pierson bid him well and the call was over.

David Selby called the call a treat and said video was needed; Frid could talk to us sitting in his slippers and robe.  KLS said she had tears in her eyes when she heard Jonathan's voice.  Lara Parker also started her talk with a mention about hearing Jonathan's voice and for some reason had to bring up his forgetting his lines on the show.  ::)

I didn't get to meet as many people from the forum as I had hoped. I guess when you only know usernames and avatars, it's hard to pick faces out of a crowd :)
Teresalita, I wish our chat hadn't been so brief, I was in a bit of a dispute with the hotel. I thought I'd get more oppurtunity later but all weekend was a whirlwind, I can't believe how quickly it was over. I also got to  meet Midnite, who was so sweet and charmed the hell out of me! And I met Barnabasjr, super-cool laid-back guy. There are so many others I wish I had met, I sure would like to put faces to usernames. All in all, a great time. I 'm glad I came, it was worth it.

Thanks, cousin, same to ya! I, too, was SO looking forward to meeting people from this forum, particularly Mysterious Benefactor, Midnite, retzev, BuzzH, Gothick, CyrusL, ProfStokes, and others that I knew through these boards would be attending. I recognized retzev from his myspace page and we hit it off really well and spent a good amount of time together. While we were at the bar Saturday night he pointed out who he thought may be Midnite and it was! We had a really nice conversation, but she was busy and had to scram. I'm truly sorry that I didn't meet more people from here, but it was a very busy fest that was over before you knew it and that was that!

retzev and barnabasjr, OMG.  Here were these two cute but totally new faces seated at the bar and the next thing I knew, one of them was asking if I were Midnite-- that blew me away.  I'm glad you both had a great time.  I wish we could've spoken longer, but unfortunately I was fulfilling a duty at that moment as a member of RJ Jamison's "entourage," lol.  But fortunately, the lost item I was in search of when I met you both was found, yay.

Saturday wasn't nearly as satisfying to me as Sunday was, although the ever-cool auction was a blast, as was Nancy Barrett's performance, despite MANY audio problems. Finally being able to see the WB pilot was also totally cool, although it was much different than I'd imagined.

Sunday's activities were awesome from start to finish, some of the best I've seen at a fest, and made me realize how much I truly enjoyed being a fan and attending these fests.

I'm with you, barnabasjr!  Sunday's programming exceeded Saturday's with only the DS Reborn presentation as a standout, even despite the microphone issues.  Could the project be better represented?  Wow.  Sunday peaked with RJ Jamison's time on stage.  It had the best Q&A by far, too.  Sunday's auction was also very enjoyable (and didn't cost me anything this year, hee).  And Frid's surprise call gave me goosebumps.

I also enjoyed meeting mscbryk (!!!), Pansity and Angelique Wins.

LOVED seeing cousins Teresalita and ReneeC (that was all too brief, and I so wanted to see pics of your house, Teresa), MsCriseyde, Sheenasma, ClaudeNorth (come back to us, we love you!), D Friedlander, Minja, BuzzH, Nancybe, Julia99, Bette, CyrusL, joe integlia, Crazy Jenny, Penny Dreadful, John in SC, Nancy, Raineypark, victoriawinters, Dawn, Karlenfan, darkshadowsrick, Cassandra, The Ghost of Sarah Collins, ProfStokes, Bobubas, Stuart, Selby D. Pearson, EmeraldRose, Evan Hanley, jimbo, Mary, Gothick, JVjr (whom I almost didn't recognize), LdyAnne, LeBrat, and Shadowlady!

Charles Ellis and VAM, sorry I didn't get to say hello.  I heard you were both marvelous at the Costume Gala.

Joeytrom, did I miss an opportunity to meet you again?!!

MB, argh, your absence was deeply felt.  :(

I was in the city during the banquet, and since I don't recall seeing any mention of it in Fest reports I must ask... Was anything said during or following the banquet about the next Fest?  Was a next Fest even mentioned by the Fest staff or actors, as in "see you all next year," or anything?

My friends and I want Vegas, Vegas, Vegas!   (hint hint for Ann Wilson)

Pignoli cookies, sigh.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »
I was in the city during the banquet, and since I don't recall seeing any mention of it in Fest reports I must ask... Was anything said during or following the banquet about the next Fest?  Was a next Fest even mentioned by the Fest staff or actors, as in "see you all next year," or anything?

My friends and I want Vegas, Vegas, Vegas!   (hint hint for Ann Wilson)
Yes Midnite, there was a cursory, "See you next year", which I think was from KLS if memory serves. No mention about where. (Remember the famous, "We'll see you next year in San Francisco"?? Great idea, never happened. )Although, I suspect the who festival might be even pricier there than NYC or LA. Likewise, I'd LOOOOOVVVEEEE the fest in Vegas again.  ;D Its especially meaningful to Diane and I as that's where we met in person, so we are with you on "Viva City!" (We had been regulars on the old AOL chats prior to that.)
      Not to belabor the point, but I think as previously discussed we are back to NYC/LA pretty much. But, we can always hope. Wouldn't it be great to have DS in either New Orleans, Boston or ...Bangor?!?!

Michael  :)
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 06:53:35 PM »
Midnite, thank you so much for giving us a detail account of Jonathan's call in, I am so glad SOMEONE finally posted one, I am sure indeed the crowd went wild with the call in.  I just wish Lara had not had to refer to Jonathan forgetting his lines again, she should just have been glad he called in, oh, well.....

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 07:08:02 PM »
I was not surprised. ::)

Nancy

I just wish Lara had not had to refer to Jonathan forgetting his lines again, she should just have been glad he called in, oh, well.....

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 07:26:15 PM »
I just wish Lara had not had to refer to Jonathan forgetting his lines again, she should just have been glad he called in, oh, well.....
Pehaps she keeps harping on it because it was so stressful for her when it would happen.  I remember at the 2002 Halloweenathon (an event independent of the Festival) that Lara admitted she didn't like working with Jonathan because he often forgot lines and it would make her look bad.  However, when she mentioned his forgetfulness at the Fest, she didn't sound bitter, so she may have meant it as a joke or endearment.

In any case, Frid's phone call was one of the highlights of the program for me!  I hope to join in with my Fest report soon. :)

ProfStokes

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »
That was THE most fun Fest!  It was a nice crowd-- not as many people as I anticipated for a milestone anniversary on the East coast, but I'm not complaining.  Maybe the attendance was 2000?

I too thought the attendance would be higher, I was predicting at least 3,000!  That HAD to be the amount that turned out for the '97 NY Fest at the Marriot Marquis, which was MY favorite Fest only because we got to see The Monkees in concert, I met many fans/friends from the IRC chatroom #Collinwood (like CynD and Sheenasma) AND got to go to Essex, CT to see Maggie Evan's Cottage (we got inside too!), the Collinwood Police Station (really a Post Office), the Collinsport Inn (aka The Griswald Inn) and the dock's where Louie Edmonds shot some exteriors early in the series run.  We also went to Norwalk where Lockwood Matthews is (though we didn't get inside-closed on Monday's :(), and a COOL grocery store called Stu Leonard's where we had lunch.  We also went to Lyndhurst though I'd been there twice before and the HIGHLIGHT, Seaview Terrace where we ALSO got inside and were allowed to run around inside and out for TWO whole days!  We also shot some footage for a new Cheep Production Video that hopefully will be completed one day. 

It was definitely the most expensive, however.  I'm referring to the temptations on the various tables.  The setup was a bit more like a typical autograph show than in Fests past, or at least that's how it seemed to me.  I had to pick up RJ's book, the audio CDs, a bit of fan fic, a photo from Betsy Durkin, the Bloopers DVD and a coupla other new MPI goodies, another charm from CynD, and Donna McKechnie's book.  I decided to wait to get KLS' fic since she will sign books ordered online same as if they're bought in person.  I've heard good things about it, but I have plenty of reading to keep me busy for a while.  Lara Parker did steady business, but I'd already received her new novel as a gift.

Midnite, you bought fan fic and didn't pick up MY book?!  Shame on you, LOL!  ;)  I spent a crapload of money too, more than I've spent in YEARS!  I bought all six of Chris Pennock's comics, RJ's book, David Selby's new biography and the blooper DVD, which is fantastic btw¢â‚¬¦oh, and Bobubas's new DS tee!  I'd have bought a sweatshirt too from MPI (did they clean up or WHAT??!!  I joked w/them about how many I'd seen on ppl that weekend and they quipped that the wanted the hotel to keep the A/C on high so they could sell more.), but fortunately I never did get cold enough.  Besides, I had my trusty old Lyndhurst sweatshirt up in my room.  But, I didn't do too shabby myself selling wise.  Sold quite a few copies of my new novel and my old compilation of short stories (Charles bought the new book, thanks Charles! ;)) and some other memorialbilia.  mscbryk even bought an old People Magazine w/Bette Davis on the cover (it was the one from when she died) from me. 

mscbryk, thank you for pointing that out about the 1st ep voiceover's script!  But Lara Parker as Vicki bugged me anyway.  My favorite casting for those presentations was Jerry Lacy as Bramwell.  Bette pointed out for me, and I thought it was cool, that the final line of dialogue from the series was given to Bramwell as originally intended instead of spoken by Ben as we saw on the series [spoiler]("If I didn't know better... I'd say she'd been attacked by a vampire").[/spoiler]

Yeah, Lara as Vickie just DIDN'T do it for me either (they SHOULD have had Betsy do it, but I digress) but she was wonderful in her reprisal of Catherine.  Loved when she lost her place at the CRUCIAL moment when Catherine's supposed to scream "Bramwell" after [spoiler]he is shot by Morgan.[/spoiler]When she realized she'd blooped and started laughing, that was priceless!  ;)

Jerry WAS fantastic as Bramwell, [spoiler]loved when he choked himself and fell to his knees when he was ¢â‚¬Ëœshot'[/spoiler] but my fave casting was David as Brutus!  Did he chew the scenery to death or what?!  Awesome!  ;)  And the echo they put on his mic was just too cool for school! 

David Selby called the call a treat and said video was needed; Frid could talk to us sitting in his slippers and robe.  KLS said she had tears in her eyes when she heard Jonathan's voice.  Lara Parker also started her talk with a mention about hearing Jonathan's voice and for some reason had to bring up his forgetting his lines on the show.  ::)

I only heard the tail end of that phone call, wahhhhh!  :(  Nice to know KLS was teary though, that's really sweet.  But Lara's comments were unnecessary and frankly uncalled for.  Give it a rest already honey!   ::)

Pierson mentioned the Halloween thing in L.A. but basically said, "See you all soon" afterwards leaving a question mark in the minds of many as to when, or where, the next Fest will be.  I think CyrusL is correct though, they are pretty much back to NY or LA it seems.  I missed Vegas as I wanted to go to Orlando that fall to visit Disneyworld and to attend the Halloween party of the Central Florida DS Fan Club.  So I would have NO problem if it went to Vegas next year as I missed out.  ¢â‚¬ËœCourse, I *am* planning on going back to Orlando next October ('07) too!  It would just figure right?  I also like the idea of it being in Bangor, how more DS can you get!?  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 07:43:33 PM »
It must have been terribly traumatic for her if it's still that upsetting 40 years after the fact but then not everyone has the gift of overcoming emotional turmoil so quickly.   >:D

It was funny though during the reading she did in the skit that she tripped over lines even with the script in front of her.  The outtakes offered on the Bloopers and Treasures CDs show Lara messing up lines numerous times for a short commercial.  Wonder who she blamed for that?  ;D
nancy

Pehaps she keeps harping on it because it was so stressful for her when it would happen.  I remember at the 2002 Halloweenathon (an event independent of the Festival) that Lara admitted she didn't like working with Jonathan because he often forgot lines and it would make her look bad. 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 07:49:46 PM »
I would not be surprised if Jerry Lacy wound up getting cast as Barnabas for future audio dramas.

nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 07:53:05 PM »
Also known in the trade as biting the hand that feeds you. ^-^

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »
However, when she mentioned his forgetfulness at the Fest, she didn't sound bitter, so she may have meant it as a joke or endearment.

That is the impression I got, Prof-- that she was going for a chuckle.  But I don't think it got a laugh out of anybody.  Jonathan Frid had just treated fans to a surprise phone call.  I was tickled by the call, I was glad there was something special to mark the milestone, I was touched, but I was certainly not in a mood to poke fun.   :-

I hope to join in with my Fest report soon. <smile>

Looking forward to it, as always.

It must have been terribly traumatic for her if it's still that upsetting 40 years after the fact but then not everyone has the gift of overcoming emotional turmoil so quickly.  <evil smiley>

LOL, Nancy!

the HIGHLIGHT, Seaview Terrace where we ALSO got inside and were allowed to run around inside and out for TWO whole days!  We also shot some footage for a new Cheep Production Video that hopefully will be completed one day.

Would love to see that too.  Speaking of Seaview, I can attest that it does rain on Collinwood.  In fact, it pours, and the winds do blow hard.  Not that any of it stopped John in SC and me from taking pictures of the house and cliff walk during our Fest side trip.  And it was a thrill to finally enter the solarium of "Seaview"/the Carey Mansion-- I've wished for that for a long time.  Yes, I'm easily entertained.  ::)

Midnite, you bought fan fic and didn't pick up MY book?!  Shame on you, LOL!  ;)  I spent a crapload of money too, more than I've spent in YEARS!  I bought all six of Chris Pennock's comics, RJ's book, David Selby's new biography and the blooper DVD, which is fantastic btw¢â‚¬¦oh, and Bobubas's new DS tee!  I'd have bought a sweatshirt too from MPI (did they clean up or WHAT??!!  I joked w/them about how many I'd seen on ppl that weekend and they quipped that the wanted the hotel to keep the A/C on high so they could sell more.), but fortunately I never did get cold enough.  Besides, I had my trusty old Lyndhurst sweatshirt up in my room.  But, I didn't do too shabby myself selling wise.  Sold quite a few copies of my new novel and my old compilation of short stories (Charles bought the new book, thanks Charles! ;)) and some other memorialbilia.  mscbryk even bought an old People Magazine w/Bette Davis on the cover (it was the one from when she died) from me.

Oh my.  Congratulations on your sales!  :D

MPI's new tote bag came in handy, and I think it's kinda cool.  But like the shirt, it does not say "40th anniv."  Speaking of MPI, what a shame they brought so few Blooper DVDs.  John and I bought the last two Saturday afternoon.

but she was wonderful in her reprisal of Catherine.  Loved when she lost her place at the CRUCIAL moment when Catherine's supposed to scream "Bramwell" after [spoiler]he is shot by Morgan.[/spoiler]When she realized she'd blooped and started laughing, that was priceless!  <wink>

Jerry WAS fantastic as Bramwell, [spoiler]loved when he choked himself and fell to his knees when he was ¢â‚¬Ëœshot'[/spoiler] but my fave casting was David as Brutus!  Did he chew the scenery to death or what?!  Awesome!  ;)  And the echo they put on his mic was just too cool for school

Yes!!!

Thank you for answering my question, CyrusL and BuzzH!  Now I'll be on pins and needles til the location is revealed.  I had a blast in New York, but at this point would love any location where I can bring my car along so as to not rely on cab drivers that try to rip tourists off, road rage that in LA would get you shot, and a subway system I've yet to figure out, lol.

~Spoiled   ;)

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Midnite, for telling us about Jonathan's call!  :) I didn't think anyone was going to ever mention it.  you're the best!!

I think that is soooooo cool he called, he's so awesome!!!!!  8) :)

"Here I am," he said, "I am going to live forever" and the audience applauded wildly.

Oh wow! That just gives me chills hearing about it. How cool! He's so wonderful! He will live forever!!!  :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 09:46:39 PM »
I'm not trying to be rude, but was it really necessary for Lara Parker to mention JF missing his lines? It's not like she never forgot a line.

Ah well, perhaps she meant it in fun, but still...
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »
Ugh sorry i missed it :'(

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 12:48:04 AM »
Joeytrom, did I miss an opportunity to meet you again?!!

Yes, It's my fault as I do not have a picture of myself on the site.