Author Topic: Had Fun at the Fest  (Read 19758 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Had Fun at the Fest
« on: August 28, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »
We got back from Brooklyn a few hours ago and had a very nice time!  Sorry I didn't really get to say goodbye to the great folks I met from the Forum!  We meant to come back to the hotel later Sunday afternoon, but my husband has some long-time friends who live in Brooklyn and we wound up hanging out with them for most of the day on Sunday.  It was getting late, so we decided to head back to Massachusetts.

It was great meeting those of you we saw there.  It was fab seeing the charming Gothick again, and meeting great folks like CyrusL and Diane, ProfStokes, Midnite, Julia99, Charles Ellis, Stuart, Scott, Minja, BuzzH, LdyAnne and Crazy Jenny.  Crazy Jenny my drear, you seemed a little startled that I looked different from my witchy alter ego.  Ah the magical mysteries of too much makeup and too much cleavage!  ;)  But I assure you m'ducky I am indeed that hag's representative on this plane, and while I may not share her fondness for hemlock tea and pushup bras, I do share her tendency to find the little jokes in the world.  I hope I didn't startle you too much with my rambling, somewhat incoherent tirade about old age and holy water.  It was the hemloc...er...brandy...er...Kool-Aid talking.  Kool-aid rocks!  OH YEAH!

Retzev, I was looking for you my Fiend but did not find you among the DS Fan(g)s!  Were you hiding in the... dark shadows?...

I got to meet Lara Parker witch was really cool.  She was very nice!  The '04 pilot was quite interesting to watch, though I had some mixed feelings about it.  It was GREAT that Jonathan Frid called in.  We arrived at the Fest just as he started talking to the fans.

More later.. It was very nice meeting many of you.

- PD   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Had Fun at the Fest
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:18:56 PM »
My eyes were peeled, Penny. I can't believe I missed you   :(
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:29:57 PM »

Arg!  That's it.  Next time I'm wearing the hat.  ;D  I think we might get a dealer table next time the Fest is in NYC.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:00:11 PM »
sorry we didn't get to meet penny,

i did get to meet midnite and several other members.i should thank profstokes and buzzh for introducing me around.

the fest was fun.as always a bit overwhelming with twelve hour days packed with activity.i had to pick and choose.the "Q&As" were as goofy as always.the reading of episode one was a highlight.i hate to be nit-picky but lara parker got victoria's voiceover totally wrong(yes i know it by heart).i wasn't her fault she was just reading from the script but whover typed it up made changes.also i didn't think karlen's burke devlin was a slam-dunk either.he sort of underplayed it.the best part of this performance was kathryn leigh scott reprising her role as maggie the "sassy waitress"(j.e.r.k.!).that was fun.

jonathan frid's surprise phone call was cool too.

i've got some reading to do now.i picked up lara parker's new book and r.j.jamison's(both autographed)as well as the first audiodrama which i can't wait to listen to.my budget didn't allow me to purchase any vintage stuff this year.

all in all a fun weekend. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 06:17:26 PM »
jonathan frid's surprise phone call was cool too.

He called while the fest was going? What did he say?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:24:05 PM »
I also had a very nice time at the fest. I wish I had more time to meet more people and catch up but it seems you have the best plans made and the weekend is over before you know it.
It was fun seeing all the "regulars" and meeting a few new ones. I got to met Retzev briefly in the elevator and prof stokes introduced me to mscbryk and pennydreadful. It was a pleasure meeting all of you.
Midnite I am sorry our meeting was brief but you looked lovely as always and minja kept me on my toes all weekend.
I hope everyone had/has a good trip back home.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »
Renee' and I made it back safe! 

I had such a fun weekend!  Besides the fest I FINALLY got to see Wicked which was wonderful beyond words!

But most of all the best time was had reuniting with all my wonderful DS friends and meeting new ones!  I'm not going to begin to list all the new people I met cuz I'm am soooo exhausted and I would omit someone, but I really enjoyed meeting y'all.

Well I'm now going to hang out with my doggies who have really missed their Mama, and have a pity party cuz I'm no longer am at the fest and have to work tomorrow.  Thank y'all for showing me a great time and hugs to y'all!

Always, Minja [vryevl][/size]

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:59:46 PM »
I enjoyed the fest too, though after all these years  I have yet to meet anyone on this forum.  I do know Charles Ellis and Stuart by sight but never talked to them.  I'll be posting more pictures soon from Sunday.  I didn't go Saturday.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 02:28:09 AM »
Oh, Joeytrom, I wish you had introduced yourself to me!  I'm always willing to talk to fellow DS fans!  I finally got to meet PennyDreadful, CyrusL and BuzzH, among others. 

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 04:01:31 AM »
Probably shouldn't say this, but the best part of MY Fest was kidnapping Midnite and joy-riding the Subway System of NYC together!!!!!!!!!

Coffee and pignoli cookies in Little Italy.......mmmmmmmm!!!!!! :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 05:31:06 PM »
I didn't get to meet as many people from the forum as I had hoped. I guess when you only know usernames and avatars, it's hard to pick faces out of a crowd :)
Teresalita, I wish our chat hadn't been so brief, I was in a bit of a dispute with the hotel. I thought I'd get more oppurtunity later but all weekend was a whirlwind, I can't believe how quickly it was over. I also got to  meet Midnite, who was so sweet and charmed the hell out of me! And I met Barnabasjr, super-cool laid-back guy. There are so many others I wish I had met, I sure would like to put faces to usernames. All in all, a great time. I 'm glad I came, it was worth it.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 10:31:31 PM »
  My Convention (and overly detailed) Report Part 1:
Well, Diane and I had a great time and I think it was one of  my favorite fests. As I had hoped to, I got to chat with many old friend and meet many new ones. By my count, and I hope I don't leave anyone hope and forgive me if I do, I spoke to Midnite and Crazyjenny (briefly, I introduced you to PennyD) whom I had met before, met Minja, mscbryk, Gothick for the first time, "re-met" Charles Ellis (I've met the near famous Charles many times, now I think he puts my face with my nick), and of course PennyDreadful and her paramour, Monsieur Garou.   It was nice to see my old friends Prof Stokes, Sheenasma, LdyAnne and MsCriseyde. I can only imagine how many group photos we all have. Diane and I were also delighted and fortunate to share our banquet dinner table with Buzz, Bobubas, Selby D., karlenfan, and victoriawinters, and their friends Mr. Dragon, and Fran, at a table next to many of the other old friends. It was also nice to see other friends that go back to the old AOL Sunday night chat groups including Cyndi, DSVicki, KayLhota and most especially VampiRich who flew to our wedding from "all the way in California" lo those 5 + years ago.
         I am sorry I didn't get to meet some others of you. Many of us were looking for retzev, Joeytrom, Barnabas Jr and others of you. The best thing I can suggest it see if you recognize any of us from our photos here, we are glad to make introductions around.
           It was also a delight to meet Julia99. It's been hard to tear Diane away from Julia99 aka R.J.'s Grayson biography, but when I have, I can see why. Its a absolutely ESSENTIAL to every DS fan. R.J. was gracious to answer all our Grayson questions at her table.  [thumb]
         Old conventioneer's note # 1:  It is really true after you've been going, that the fellowship becomes one of the very main reasons you return.

Now, some tales of the fest.

We got in Thursday afternoon. Mapquest for some twisted reason suggested we go in through NJ Turnpike exit 13, through the Verrazano's Narrows bridge way. Never again.   [iroc] Too much congestion, construction, cramped spaces and accidents. Got to the hotel about 4:00 pm just at check-in time. We refreshed and decided to go in to Times Square. When we went down the escalators, we met old acquaintance and photobug Rich Blanco on the sidewalk. As we were chatting, none other than Johnny Karlen stopped to say hello and chat. Old conventioneer's note # 2: After you've been going a few years, many of the actors will recognize you by face, and sometimes even by name. Its a good feeling. Well, we now feel "arrived." We took the subway into Manhattan and went to the famous "Tickets" booth, and got tickets to "Spam-A-Lot." (Okay, my first choice WAS "Wicked", but it was sold out, and I'd worn my Flying Monkeys shirt on the way up for luck!) It was our first Broadway show, so it was pretty special. We do get some great road shows in Richmond and DC, but hey, Broadway! We had dinner at the new Hard Rock Cafe' in Times Square. It's in the old Paramount Theatre. If you like Hard Rock's, especially you omnivores who like a good burger and a good salad, the HR's are consistent in quality all over. The memorabilia here it equally classic: Elvis Presley's tuxedo from the Frank Sinatra special they dueted on; Jim Morrison's leather pant and handwritten lyrics to "LA Woman"; a great assortment of Who memorabilia; stage outfits from  [cheer]  Madonna, Lenny Kravitz, Gwen Stefani, Sir Elton Reginald Digby Mountbaddon John, Janis Joplin, James Brown and Jimi Hendrix  [banana2] ; and the legendary tuxedo worn by THE Michael Anthony of Van Halen in the "Hot for Teacher" video. Okay, no Bauhaus stuff, maybe in London...   [band]    The play was very good, and we appreciated as "...and the Holy Grail" is a big favorite of us both, that the Pythons used the film as a jumping off point for enhancement rather than just a straight forward adaption. There were so many clever reference to other musicals that it might 3-4 show to catch all of them. I suspect I may buy the cast cd soon. the only drawback to Thursday was the downpour which soaked the sleeves of my sportcoat, making it unwearable the rest of the trip. As the Marriott rooms run hot and cold randomly, I could have used it a few times.

Friday Morning: We all got on the buses to go to the Seaport Museum on Canal Street. Many of you may remember this as the place where we embarked on our tour boat up around NYC at the previous Brooklyn convention on 2004. At the drop off point, John Karlen posed patiently for about 50-100 or so fan photos. Can we just make him a US Ambassador? The man has the patience of Job, the diplomacy of Kissinger and the unbridled joy of Santa Claus. Later we chatted with John briefly on his father's immigration from Poland while aboard the great sailing ship the Java Queen, er ummmm, the Peking. We also went on what I think was Popeye the Sailor man's tugboat. The Museum itself had some  exhibits on nautical paintings that the Collins would have prized in their collections, and a very informative history on European Immigration in the late 19th and early 20th century. I was unaware Antwerp was the primary departure point. (Confession, at least two sides of my family came through Jamestowne, mind you not with Captain John Smith himself, but early enough. Please visit us in Virginia for the 400th anniversary next year!) Diane and I lingered and had lunch at the Irish Pub there and enjoyed the spectacular , if overcast views, of the Brooklyn Bridge from the other side. Took the subway back. Old Conventioneers Note # 3: Make a little time away from the fest when possible, especially if its your first New York or Hollywood trips. A Subway ride and real Noo Yawk pizza are musts.

Friday Afternoon: Registration went relatively well. Then dinner at one of the several restaurants over on nearby Montague St. This is a great area for nice sit down dining close to the Marriott. We went to Armandos and had some delicious Italian and great, creamy Tiramasu. Convention Note # 4: While the festival is chock full of good stuff, don't stress out trying to take in every event. Allow time for at least one good meal besides the Sunday night banquet. We got back in time for "The First Year Panel". Perhaps we missed part of this, but the program listed John Karlen and Diana Millay, but we saw Kathryn and Conard Fowkes only. Nonetheless, I was happy. I've been watching a lot of first year recently, so it hit the DS spot. I went for a drink of water and found Conard sitting next to Chris Pennock. As he had only a few people there, I got him to sign mine and a friend's book. I told him how much I liked the stories he appeared in, which is true, and asked if he remembered anything about Daniel Keyes. Conard smiled and said, "Honestly, the most memorable thing to me was digging that grave with Vicki, cut to commercial. The we came back, I still looked great, lol, but not a hair out of place, no dirt, and the coffin, which was supposed to have been, what, a couple of hundred years old, look like new. Because Dan borrowed it and we couldn't dirty it up!"   [grim] (This was part of the Phoenix story) Conard also dropped by to say hello to Betsy Durkin, whom he apparently knew previously. I feel lucky I got to meet Conard as his visit at the show was relatively brief. I also chatted and exchanged manly hugs with Chris Pennock. Chris has been a favorite ever since I sat at his table at my first show. I always buy his new comic, and they are funny!  [read3]  Betsy Durkin was very sweet, even answering my questions about tuxedos. (We Masons have to wear tuxedos about 9 months of the year.) Betsy revealed to us at the show that she was once, The Irish Spring Girl, "Clean, fresh scent,  Manly yes, but ladies like it too!" The Dan Curtis film tribute was very well edited and, hardly a dry eye in the house, especially with the "Saving Milly" footage.  We didn't make it up for the films, I have both DS theatrical films. I often wonder how late the movies go.

Coming soon...Saturday the 26th

Michael     [92c5]

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 12:12:07 AM »
I am consumed with bitterness over how much fun all of you had.  Actually, you've made one of these events come to life for me, for the first time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
I went to CBGB  ;D

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 05:36:50 AM »
I didn't get to meet as many people from the forum as I had hoped. I guess when you only know usernames and avatars, it's hard to pick faces out of a crowd :)
Teresalita, I wish our chat hadn't been so brief, I was in a bit of a dispute with the hotel. I thought I'd get more oppurtunity later but all weekend was a whirlwind, I can't believe how quickly it was over. I also got to  meet Midnite, who was so sweet and charmed the hell out of me! And I met Barnabasjr, super-cool laid-back guy. There are so many others I wish I had met, I sure would like to put faces to usernames. All in all, a great time. I 'm glad I came, it was worth it.

Thanks, cousin, same to ya! I, too, was SO looking forward to meeting people from this forum, particularly Mysterious Benefactor, Midnite, retzev, BuzzH, Gothick, CyrusL, ProfStokes, and others that I knew through these boards would be attending. I recognized retzev from his myspace page and we hit it off really well and spent a good amount of time together. While we were at the bar Saturday night he pointed out who he thought may be Midnite and it was! We had a really nice conversation, but she was busy and had to scram. I'm truly sorry that I didn't meet more people from here, but it was a very busy fest that was over before you knew it and that was that!

Saturday wasn't nearly as satisfying to me as Sunday was, although the ever-cool auction was a blast, as was Nancy Barrett's performance, despite MANY audio problems. Finally being able to see the WB pilot was also totally cool, although it was much different than I'd imagined.

Sunday's activities were awesome from start to finish, some of the best I've seen at a fest, and made me realize how much I truly enjoyed being a fan and attending these fests.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia