Author Topic: Hello DSF, Professor Stokes Here!  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello DSF, Professor Stokes Here!
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2006, 04:17:14 AM »
Why do you think he moved to Canada?

Nancy

Tell the old man I love him.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2006, 04:35:30 AM »
While it is not something that eats at me, even in this very forum it's evident many look for the bloopers and other screwups. ... But please don't tell me most fans do not spend more time discussing the mistakes, blown lines and clumsy acting than anything else. It's just not true from what I've seen here and elsewhere.  (I hope I am not coming off cranky because I'm not; just stating what I believe to be a fact.  There is nothing wrong with admitting this is the case.)

I can't offer any sort of an opinion about other forums or any of the DS mailing lists because I unfortunately never have the time to read them anymore, but the vast majority of the more than 9000 topics here on the forum do not include any discussion of the mistakes, blown lines and clumsy acting. If anyone has gotten the impression that is the case, well, they haven't been reading all the posts that have been made (which Midnite and I do indeed do  ;)). Do such topics exist? Well, of course they do.  :)  But those subjects are by no means the major subjects of conversation here...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2006, 04:52:29 AM »
nancy,

i'm going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly.

are we reading the same board?

while i guess that i can only speak for myself i doubt that most of us have invested the time to watch a 1200+ episode series for rickety sets and "bloopers".

actually i think that the actors and show are generally discussed with a considerable level of affection and emotional involvement.if anything the actors are spoken of in terms of reverence unusual when soap opera stars are under discussion.

the mainstream media might focus on those things but i think that most fans are looking for something else.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2006, 04:58:51 AM »
I think fans see DS as campy and enjoy it for the bloopers. This isn't exacty news nor is it a criticism.

If that is true, it is unfortunate and something of a slap in the face to the actors and people behind the scenes who worked hard to create a serious supernatural series.

I find it hard to believe that most fans are into the show for laughs.  I doubt the show has survived as long as it has because people get off on bloopers.  I think the more likely scenario is the old adage that the most negative voices are generally the loudest.  I think most DS fans watch it for the good writing, acting and atmosphere and forgive the bloopers, not delight in them.  It seems in the 80s DS had this reputation amongst uninformed journalists for being "campy." Lately, this notion has started to change a bit, and "horror/fantasy" magazines and websites in particular seem to be giving DS the place it deserves as a groundbreaking and legendary show in the genre DESPITE the mistakes.  People who make fun of the actors should try memorizing pages of lengthy monologues overnight and then recite those lines verbatim the next day in front of a camera. They can then repeat this 5 times a week.

If you wish, do tell Jonathan there are a lot of fans who don't think DS is a camp-fest and who appreciate the work the actors and crew put into creating a serious dark fantasy show.
Bravo Penny D  ;D !!! Much my same thoughts. I tend to groan like an unhappy ghost when I hear the C- word (c*mp) associated with every DS article. While I can't say I don't have a few favorite bloopers, I also know full well they are only a part of the then inability to edit video tape affordably, and the quick pace of producing a daily show. I think with a few exceptions the show was very well acted and often wonderfully scripted, That's why I still watch it often, that and I love the supernatural soap concept. No one before or since had the right mix this one run did. If might be allowed to paraphrase from, gasp, Richard Harris's "MacArthur Park," "They'll never have that recipe again, " not the way they did in '66 to '71.
        I never dwell upon Jonathan's missed lines. If anything, I do more frequently mull upon all the times when he truly NAILED it! (All puns intended  ;)). Such scenes as speaking to Sarah, the fate of Dave Woodard, or the "stormy night" with Vicky and Carolyn. Marvelous. Untouchable. On one level, I can see why he may have once been sought after as the next big "horror star," he often has not only the supernatural channeling of Lugosi, but often the otherworldliness of Karloff as well, along with his own charm. Nonetheless, I respect his decision to quietly retire to his own. Maybe it was better to allow some few, great moments of quality than squander his talent on the remakes no doubt offered. To me, Jonathan will always hold a solid place justly earned in the misty realm of genre greats.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2006, 05:09:49 AM »
Here's MY two cents on the subject:  As some of you might already know, I absolutely LOATHE the character of Barnabas Collins.  Loathe and deteste him.

I wouldn't feel that strongly about a character who wasn't played brilliantly. If Frid was a hack, he wouldn't have made such an impression on me. No matter what went wrong, I was always too invested in despising the character to care about the actor's insignificant mistakes.

What a shame that he's heard from so many fans about the mistakes and gaffs, and never enough about the magic that took place when the script and the performance worked perfectly.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2006, 05:39:37 AM »
While it is not something that eats at me, even in this very forum it's evident many look for the bloopers and other screwups. ... But please don't tell me most fans do not spend more time discussing the mistakes, blown lines and clumsy acting than anything else. It's just not true from what I've seen here and elsewhere.  (I hope I am not coming off cranky because I'm not; just stating what I believe to be a fact.  There is nothing wrong with admitting this is the case.)

I can't offer any sort of an opinion about other forums or any of the DS mailing lists because I unfortunately never have the time to read them anymore, but the vast majority of the more than 9000 topics here on the forum do not include any discussion of the mistakes, blown lines and clumsy acting. If anyone has gotten the impression that is the case, well, they haven't been reading all the posts that have been made (which Midnite and I do indeed do  ;)). Do such topics exist? Well, of course they do.  :)  But those subjects are by no means the major subjects of conversation here...

I sincerely doubt that we'd be discussing this show 35 years after its cancellation or celebrating the 40th anniversary of its debut if the "mistakes, blown lines and clumsy acting" were the primary sources of its appeal.  If that were the case, then hardly anyone would shell out the money to purchase 254 VHS tapes or 32 DVD sets.  Granted, the bloopers are a part of the show's appeal, and sometimes too much emphasis can be placed on them (although I feel that many fans view those moments with affection rather than scorn).  However, no one would bother to sit through hours and hours of episodes just to catch the occasional mistake.  I've watched the complete run of the series several times and I can honestly say that I return to the series for all of its good qualities -- intricate plotlines, terrific characterizations, gorgeous sets and costumes, and an overall tone that is unlike anything else ever seen on television.

When I think of Frid, I immediately think of his flawless delivery of the "I was a Collins..." monologue (a moment that represents all that is good about DS), his astonishing ability to be simultaneously despicable and sympathetic, and his complete metamorphasis when portraying Bramwell in the final weeks of the series.  A mention of Grayson brings to mind the early imperiousness of Dr. Hoffman, the joyful abandon with which she played Magda, and her moving portrayal of unrequited love that made the character of Julia indispensable.  KLS, Nancy Barrett, Thayer David, Joan Bennett...every actor left an indelible and positive mark on DS that far transcends whatever momentary laugh might be had as the result of an awkward line reading.

For me, DS is unlike any other television show that has ever aired, or will likely air in the future.  Dan Curtis and his company of writers, actors, directors, and technical and creative artists came together and produced 1,225 episodes of pure magic.  The setting -- Collinsport, Maine -- is more than a fictional town; it is a universe unto itself, filled with unique individuals, and driven by conflicts unlike anything those of us in the real world will ever face.  When watching an episode, I am completely drawn into that universe, so completely removed from the real world, and am able to forget about all the mundane problems and inconveniences of day-to-day living.  If I have a bad day at school or at work, I need only indulge myself in the DS universe and all thoughts of a vexing assignment or a disagreement with a co-worker leave my mind.

We live in an age ruled by ironic, hipper-than-thou attitudes, so it is natural for some to latch onto the occasional mistakes that plagued the show as an unavoidable result of the method of production.  However, I believe that the true legacy of DS is found in all of those wonderfully magical and moving moments, when everything went right, that far outnumber those few times when something went wrong.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 06:58:26 AM »
Perfect, ClaudeNorth.

And as for

When watching an episode, I am completely drawn into that universe, so completely removed from the real world, and am able to forget about all the mundane problems and inconveniences of day-to-day living.  If I have a bad day at school or at work, I need only indulge myself in the DS universe and all thoughts of a vexing assignment or a disagreement with a co-worker leave my mind. 

Yes, oh yes, oh yes.  I was trying to figure out how to say that myself, and you beat me to the punch.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »
My oh my, I did not intend to spark such a discussion though what has been written is wonderfully articulated.

However, when "called on it" those fans who focus on flaws, etc. do go on about how great the series is.  I am not saying anyone in this thread is doing this but this has been my experience.  In the daily, casual conversation, my observation is that the focus is elsewhere.

I was wrong, however, to imply that the focus on flaws was a big part of this forum discussion. That is not true. While I do not have the time to read each and every post (I wish I could) it has been said in other DS group/board circles that this is "where the adults go" to discuss DS and that is certainly true.

Here you can express an unpopular thought and not have the villagers chase you through the hills with pikes and fire.

Nancy

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2006, 05:26:33 PM »
just my 2 cents...i love the show flaws and all. i think Frid is a wonderful actor hell i could not
do it just like i can't throw a 98 mile hr fast ball (wish i could i'd be famous)
it was a different era and no one thought anyone would be watching
this show 40 years later. i love his Barnabas, he potrayed him as a flawed
human and i really don't pay any attention to the mistakes if anything
they come across as more realistic to me i hate perfection it is very overrated ;)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline thirdratehack

• Sniffin' paint
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »
Probably the first thing I'll note is the bloops. In the same way one fondly smiles at their children for the cute things they do not because you wanna feel holier than thou. I am a fan because of the stories and such and I like the bloops too. You gotta smile and not be too serious.

[angel12]
[angel12]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 10:30:51 PM »
I certainly do not watch Dark Shadows for the mistakes.

It's sad to know that all Jonathan Frid has heard, is that people watch DS just for laughs. I do wish there was a way to let him know that the people who sincerely enjoy DS, don't watch it simply to pick out all the wrong things the actors did. It is a wonderful show with superb acting!

Memorizing dialogue day after day after day was not easy, and Jonathan Frid, and all the other wonderful actors deserve our gratitude for creating such a timeless show!

I applaud them all! :) 8) :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2006, 04:15:31 AM »
<<It's sad to know that all Jonathan Frid has heard, is that people watch DS just for laughs. I do wish there was a way to let him know that the people who sincerely enjoy DS, don't watch it simply to pick out all the wrong things the actors did. It is a wonderful show with superb acting!

Oh, don't worry, he'll see this thread and all the kind comments the cousins have made one day since he checks it once a month!  ;)

I couldn't agree more w/what everyone has said, *I* don't watch for the bloopers, I watch for all the reasons listed.  The bloopers are fun, but not the end all, be all for me.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2006, 04:30:09 AM »
When I think of Frid, I immediately think of his flawless delivery of the "I was a Collins..." monologue (a moment that represents all that is good about DS), his astonishing ability to be simultaneously despicable and sympathetic, and his complete metamorphasis when portraying Bramwell in the final weeks of the series. 

OMG!  How true!  Then there's the oft-mentioned, by me, scene in the tower room in 1897 between Ang and Barn.  In a word--FLAWLESS!  And Jon as Bramwell?  Well, he was just HOTTER than Georgia asphault as Bramwell!  Why do you think I just wrote a book about Bram and Catherine?   ;D  Barn was completely different, sweet, gentle and caring when he was good, TERRIFYING when he was bad.  But Bramwell was the romantic lead and of all the things Barn was, he was never that, IMHO anyway.  Well, except maybe in 1795.  I like that the "John's" got to be the romantic heros for the final DS plotline as JK was hot as Kendrick too!   They 'earned' it as far as I'm concerned.:)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2006, 10:37:50 PM »
Yes, it was mighty fine to see JF and JK on equal footing as strong figures in the plot!

Petofi

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2006, 01:23:09 AM »
When I think of Frid, I immediately think of his flawless delivery of the "I was a Collins..." monologue (a moment that represents all that is good about DS), his astonishing ability to be simultaneously despicable and sympathetic, and his complete metamorphosis when portraying Bramwell in the final weeks of the series.

OMG!  How true!  Then there's the oft-mentioned, by me, scene in the tower room in 1897 between Ang and Barn.  In a word--FLAWLESS!  And Jon as Bramwell?  Well, he was just HOTTER than Georgia asphault as Bramwell!  Why do you think I just wrote a book about Bram and Catherine?   ;D  Barn was completely different, sweet, gentle and caring when he was good, TERRIFYING when he was bad.  But Bramwell was the romantic lead and of all the things Barn was, he was never that, IMHO anyway.  Well, except maybe in 1795.  I like that the "John's" got to be the romantic heros for the final DS plotline as JK was hot as Kendrick too!   They 'earned' it as far as I'm concerned.:)

I never thought of JF as sexy when he played Barnabas, but when I saw him as Bramwell, I was completely blown away by the raw sexuality that he exuded in the role.  It was as if Bramwell were being played by a different actor.  I think it says a lot about JF's talent that he was able to transform himself to such a degree.

Is the 1897 scene you mentioned the one in which Barn says, "Forgive me for being ungallant, but when I look at you..."?  That's another favorite of mine.  It's one of those wonderful moments when the writing, directing, and acting all serve each other well.

Another great scene is Barn's and Burke's comparison of their relationship to a duel and a poker game.  Again, everything came together perfectly.