Author Topic: Hello DSF, Professor Stokes Here!  (Read 8676 times)

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
Re: Hello DSF, Professor Stokes Here!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 10:04:17 PM »
Regarding spoiler warnings, in addition to the tags there's also a message icon, all courtesy of our webmaste, MysteriousB.  :D
Thanks ;) I see the "Spoiler Alert" icon now. I'll be careful not to ruin it for anyone.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 10:07:26 PM »
Are you serious, Nancy? that is so great!!!

Yes, he does the periodic review of DS websites. Curiousity more than anything. He would probably deny it if you asked him though, lol.  He even looks at the David Selby site Criseyde does. He has family members who regularly view the sites and have watched the show. They are about the average age here. 8)

Professor Stokes - welcome to the board!  I don't believe the flub remark will/would bother JF. He believes the reason most fans watch DS is to make fun of it and the acting, etc.  It's the impression he has gotten from reading DS websites and other things. :P  So no worry about offending whenever he reads such stuff here or elsewhere.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 10:10:23 PM »
Whining, sniveling Willie??? I beg your pardon, sir. Had it not been for Willie, I doubt there would have been much soap to opera about. Wilie is an integeral part of the series and a joy to watch. In the past two weeks that co-workers have asked about my trek to the Fest in NY, the one character they recall after Barnabas is Willie. Sadly to say, there aren't many folks where I work that rememeber Quentin or Magda or Professor Stokes. Barnabas and Willie!

Janet, I hear Willie had a thing about Wicked Wednesdays. Care to comment on that? ;D

Nancy

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 10:18:08 PM »
He believes the reason most fans watch DS is to make fun of it and the acting, etc.  It's the impression he has gotten from reading DS websites and other things. :P  So no worry about offending whenever he reads such stuff here or elsewhere.

I know there were a great many forgotten lines and so forth, but I honestly don't watch Dark Shadows to poke fun at the actors. I watch it because there is some excellent acting, and it's a unique show with some cool stories.

I think it would be very difficult to have to remember lines on a daily basis, and to add to that stress, the fact that there was no editing, so they couldn't go back and redo something they didn't like. IMHO, I consider it very brave of the actors to do it, then to have it on television for all to see. I really admire them for that.  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
Professor Stokes - welcome to the board!  I don't believe the flub remark will/would bother JF. He believes the reason most fans watch DS is to make fun of it and the acting, etc.  It's the impression he has gotten from reading DS websites and other things. :P  So no worry about offending whenever he reads such stuff here or elsewhere.
Thank you for the warm welcome, Nancy!

I hope JF doesn't think most people watch the show to make fun of it :o >:( I certainly don't, and I believe anyone who loves the show as we do would defend it against such blasphemy. I think the flubbed lines is a reminder to us and everyone else that this show was "taped live" with no do-overs or outtakes. Let some of the modern "stars" try that and see how they'd do :o I think they'd run screaming from the studio. But our beloved DS stars endured grueling schedules, with the pressure of "one chance is all you get", and I'm constantly amazed they did as well as they did. What a cast!!! [headbang]

I think the occasional flubbed line adds to its charm, and adds a human element that you just don't get with the CGI-enhanced, One-hour Martinized, cold and clinical, technically flawless soulless productions we see nowadays. Dark Shadows was more like a live play, and I'd take it in a heartbeat over the new stuff ;)

So Jonathan ...if you read this ....you can miss a line any time, my friend. There will never again be anyone like you [vampy] [9050]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »
I hope JF doesn't think most people watch the show to make fun of it :o >:( I certainly don't, and I believe anyone who loves the show as we do would defend it against such blasphemy. [vampy] [9050]

I think fans see DS as campy and enjoy it for the bloopers. This isn't exacty news nor is it a criticism.   That's the primary attraction for a lot of fans.    He definitely does see this as the primary draw for most DS fans too and has said as much in interviews and alluded to this in the Introduction he wrote for the festival publication Introduction of Barnabas. He recalls standing outside the video room listening to people laugh at stuff and him messing up.  If I can find the intro I will post with permission from the author (JF).

If you haven't already, check out JF's website at http://www.jonathanfrid.com.  He has added some recent readings to the audio gallery and plans on doing more at some point.

Again, welcome.

Nancy

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 10:51:40 PM »
Yes, yes, yes,! I couldn't have said it any better myself, Professor Stokes!

The missed lines definitely gave the show a human quality that I really enjoy! It's so much better than most of the stuff on television now.

I'll take Dark Shadows over any show running today!

So here's to Dark Shadows, and all the actors and people  who made it the show we know and love! :-* :)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 11:13:27 PM »
Ah, another Stokes fan!  Excellent.   Welcome aboard, Professor Stokes!

ProfStokes

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 11:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the info, Nancy. That is a bit disturbing, but it appears it is also reality.

The episode DVDs we're currently receiving all include a bonus interview at the end. Sometimes it's someone like the assistant stage director, or someone like that, which we skip. But it's almost always Dan or a cast member. David Selby has done numerous inverviews, as has Jonathan Frid, Louis Edmonds, and many others. From what I gather from their recollections, they were most serious at the time the show was being aired. Except Karlen ...he was always goofing around ;D

I think it does a disservice to the dedication of the cast to poke fun of the mistakes that are inevitable in such a setting. I applaud Jonathan Frid's graceful and gentlemanly way of accepting it. That he handled it so well doesn't surprise me, being the class act he has always been.

Quote from: Sunny_Collins
Yes, yes, yes,! I couldn't have said it any better myself, Professor Stokes!

The missed lines definitely gave the show a human quality that I really enjoy! It's so much better than most of the stuff on television now.

I'll take Dark Shadows over any show running today!

So here's to Dark Shadows, and all the actors and people  who made it the show we know and love
Hear hear!! Thanks Sunny! :)

Quote from: ProfStokes
Ah, another Stokes fan!  Excellent.   Welcome aboard, Professor Stokes!
Why thank you, professor ;D

In love the Professor Stokes character. He was so smart and so well-prepared for all the last-minute supernatural help that was demanded of him. With the amulet, and the herbs ....brilliant! If I were in a battle with a witch or a warlock, who do you think I would call first? ;D

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 12:09:07 AM »
I think it does a disservice to the dedication of the cast to poke fun of the mistakes that are inevitable in such a setting. I applaud Jonathan Frid's graceful and gentlemanly way of accepting it. That he handled it so well doesn't surprise me, being the class act he has always been.
Here, here, Professor Stokes! You say the things I'm thinking but can't seem to put in to writing!  :) Okay, now I'll keep quiet on the subject! LOL!  ;D

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 01:47:49 AM »
Janet, I hear Willie had a thing about Wicked Wednesdays. Care to comment on that? ;D

Wicked Wednesdays?? You talking 'bout the time Willie short-sheeted Missus Johnson's bed?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 02:36:38 AM »
Yes, Janet I am. Can't wait to see you next week you crazy thing.

nancy

Wicked Wednesdays?? You talking 'bout the time Willie short-sheeted Missus Johnson's bed?

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 02:59:15 AM »
LOL!! Just found out that JF looks at this board once a month or so so I imagine the ego will be sailing when he sees these comments! ;D

Are you serious, Nancy? that is so great!!!

Well, he certainly deserves all the wonderful praise he gets!

Barnabas is wonderful!  :) :)

and since it was said he was a hunk and had 6 pack abs recently (from a great old photo)He is still THE MAN ( he does still look great!) :-*

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 03:05:56 AM »
oh sorry WELCOME PROFESSOR STOKES aka Kevin :)

jennifer
i see you haven't met raineypark (a Willie lover) ;D and you havent't met the DON fan club yet ;D
looking foward to your posts :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 04:06:34 AM »
Barnabas is ... the main attraction

For many, certainly - but not for all of us. As I've posted many times before (so I'll keep this one brief  ;)), there are also fans who love the entire package that is DS - and as shocking as it may be to some, not only can we actually enjoy all the various plots that don't feature Barnabas, we can even imagine a DS that could have continued well past the point that Barnabas would have been written out. Many soaps have featured central characters on a par with the popularity of Barnabas and they've all managed to survive well past those characters' departures. Yes, the shows have often become very different from what they were when those characters were a part of them - but they have endured - and in most cases, even thrived afterward...

And welcome aboard, Professor Stokes!  :)