Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #152 / New Fest guests, LP book signings & more  (Read 7055 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #152 / New Fest guests, LP book signings & more
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »
I get more excited about the Festival every day!!!   

Me too!  Especially since I now know I'll be seeing Sweeney Todd the Thursday before and have SECOND ROW, CENTER seats!  Whoo-hoo!   [banana] [banana2] [a_monkey]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »
I must say that the picture IS very cool!  Wonder who drew it.

Yep, gorgeous.  Englarging the image reveals:  "Cover Artwork by Stuart Manning"

I'm excited about seeing his cover on a certain book I'll be purchasing at the Fest.   8)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 05:09:21 PM »
Major oops- Conrad Brooks is still alive- it's Paul Marco (another Ed Wood alum) who died last month.  Grayson Hall was briefly (apparently for 5 minutes) to Conrad's brother Ted Brooks, a fact unearthed by biographer Rebecca Jamison in her forthcoming book on the Divine Grayson.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 05:17:55 PM »
I was just speaking to my wife and she has the answer. I had no idea that Grayson had been married to Ted Brooks. I'm stunned. What you must realize is that Conrad is at every show in the Virginia/Maryland area, as well as many others. He is a real character, as befitting a man who was part of the Ed Wood circle. I have met Ted a few times, usually when he goes to a show with Conrad. Both appeared in the wonderfully awful amateur shot direct on video in and around Baltimore, and direct by David "The Rock" Nelson , the latter of which aspires ti the "new Ed Wood." Anyway, I bought this video and I've had many hours of laughter, most especially from the outtakes. In one scene, Ted was supposed to say, "I'm looking for the werewolf," while brandishing a baseball bat. Instead Ted speaks, "I'm looking for Batman." I asked Ted what happened, and he replied very dryly, "It was hot and I became disoriented." Anyway, I wish I had known Ted had been married to Grayson. I would like to know what he had to say. Its possible Grayson may have met Ed Wood, but unlikely as the Brooks brothers work with Ed was after their divorce.  To my knowledge, both are still around. Ted was living near Baltimore and Conrad over across the West Va line, although he commutes to LA often. A footnote, when Diane and I were at the DS Festival in 2001, Conrad included us in some footage he was shooting for another Shot on video feature. He later claimed, "It would be the last unauthorized film shot in the Trade Center."  This is amazing to me, as I once noted I see Conrad almost more than my own uncles most years.I'm beginning to think I may title my autobiography, "One Degree from Conrad Brooks."  ;)

Michael   [eek]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »
Now, I hadn't heard Paul Marco had passed. Even Conrad said he was "a little wacky." Tim Burton shot scenes with both as cameos in "Ed Wood", but allegedly Paul drove him so crazy his scenes were cut.  Most likely I will run into Conrad at "Horrorfying"  [frankie]  in Baltimore the week before the DS Festival. Rutger Hauer and George Romero are Guests of Honor this year. I'm now looking to inquire about Grayson with Conrad. I'm still a little stunned.

Michael   [spin]

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »
Major oops- Conrad Brooks is still alive- it's Paul Marco (another Ed Wood alum) who died last month.  Grayson Hall was briefly (apparently for 5 minutes) to Conrad's brother Ted Brooks, a fact unearthed by biographer Rebecca Jamison in her forthcoming book on the Divine Grayson.
IMDB shows Grayson marriage to Ted Brooks lasted about 3 years. I wonder where they lived at that time. I now have a larger if not already big interest in reading Rebecca's biography on Grayson.

Michael   [happy2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »
I'm not sure that "your" Ted Brooks is the same bloke to whom Grayson was hitched. 

Hopefully Julia will be able to clear this up for you.

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 07:57:36 PM »
Me too!  Especially since I now know I'll be seeing Sweeney Todd the Thursday before and have SECOND ROW, CENTER seats!  Whoo-hoo!   [banana] [banana2] [a_monkey]

Um, make that FRONT row center!  Just looked at the seating chart for the Eugene O'Neil Theater and we are actually in the first row.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 08:01:45 PM »
Most likely I will run into Conrad at "Horrorfying"  [frankie]  in Baltimore the week before the DS Festival. Rutger Hauer and George Romero are Guests of Honor this year

Michael, who else is on the bill for Horrifying in Baltimore?  Is there a web link you could provide?  I may check that out, maybe get Selby D. Pearson to go along too.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 08:05:50 PM »
I now have a larger if not already big interest in reading Rebecca's biography on Grayson.

Me too, on my list of things to buy!  Got to have a biography on the Divine One.  Now if I could ONLY find my copy of Tales of Hoffman and The Grayson Hall Tribute 'zine.  They are SOMEWHERE in my parent's attic, Dad put them up there W/OUT my permission years ago!  Was NOT happy about it either.   [8311] [angry1] [82b5] [Rant_Emote] [madan]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 08:45:26 PM »
Most likely I will run into Conrad at "Horrorfying"  [frankie]  in Baltimore the week before the DS Festival. Rutger Hauer and George Romero are Guests of Honor this year

Michael, who else is on the bill for Horrifying in Baltimore?  Is there a web link you could provide?  I may check that out, maybe get Selby D. Pearson to go along too.  ;)
 Perhaps I need to go to a spelling bee, lol.  Its Horrorfind. Here a link www.horrorfindweekend.com/state/maryland
Dates Aug 11-13. Some other guests include Denise Crosby, Priscilla Barnes, numerous zombies from the Romero films, Tony Todd, and Michael Rooker ("Henry:Portrait of  Seriel Killer") among others.   [grim]

Michael    [Ghost00]

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:30 PM »
CryrusL, it's spelled Conard Fowkes- actually, he is a descendant of the notorious Guy Fawkes who plottted to kill King James I by blowing up Parliament in the Gunpowder Plot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_fawkes

As to the late Conrad Brooks, here's another DS factoid- he was briefly a brother-in-law to Grayson Hall!

I must correct this error before it grows too huge in fandom.  Ted Brooks, brother of Conrad, was not Grayson's Ted.  This is directly from Conrad.  Grayson's 1st husband was reportedly from Philadelphia.
Julia99

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 12:49:30 AM »
Hi Julia99, thanks for clearing that up. I had begun to have my doubts by dinner time tonight. The big clue was the Ted Brooks on Grayson's listing did not link to Ted Brooks, Conrad's brother. Also, its a common enough name. make sure to plan to give Charles a spanking at the festival for running me in circles today. [-forgottosave-]

Michael 

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 01:36:29 AM »
Hi Julia99, thanks for clearing that up. I had begun to have my doubts by dinner time tonight. The big clue was the Ted Brooks on Grayson's listing did not link to Ted Brooks, Conrad's brother. Also, its a common enough name. make sure to plan to give Charles a spanking at the festival for running me in circles today. [-forgottosave-]

--the imdb.com is put together by people and has errors--e.g. the listing for Sam Hall with the note "aka Sam M Hall?"--when, where?  his birthname is Allison Samuel Hall--

as for there not being a relationship link with Conrad--that would also have been created by someone "in the know" and not necessarily indicative of there being (or in this case NOT being) a relationship.  One of the links of Ted Brooks for the film When Nature Calls is actually for a black actor with the same name--
Julia99

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 02:10:23 AM »
Again Julia99, while it was exciting piece or trivia at first, I had begun to come back to reality. The next thing you know a certain someone on here may have started claiming the boys were also the founders of Brooks Brothers suits! On the other hand, all the stuff I did post about Conrad himself and myself is true. All too true.

Michael    ;)