Author Topic: boys club vs. girls club  (Read 2883 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: boys club vs. girls club
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 04:17:28 PM »
I do wish Buzz had become a regular.  I can see Julia hiring Buzz to ferry her between Wyndcliffe, the Old House, and Points West.  "Oh, Buzz, Buzz, you mad, incorrigible boy, Buzz!" "Aw, Doc, shucks!  If ya feel it, SIT IT!"  I would crawl across broken glass...

Well, you KNOW I agree w/this!  ;)  But you know, the fact that he made such an impression, particularly on me, in ONLY 4 episodes says something about the writer that created him and wrote his dialog and the man who played him.  Would that Pierson could get Michael Hadge to the 40th, sigh.............I'd stand in line for HOURS to get his autograph, even though I actually already have it, but just to MEET the man.  Oh, and LOL about Julia using him as her boy-toy!  Lord knows he'd love giving HER a ride on his Harley, and wouldn't Barnabas just LOVE that!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:39 PM »
I can see Julia hiring Buzz to ferry her between Wyndcliffe, the Old House, and Points West.  "Oh, Buzz, Buzz, you mad, incorrigible boy, Buzz!" "Aw, Doc, shucks!  If ya feel it, SIT IT!"

OMG, that's hysterical!  [stfl]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »
For some reason, in any ensemble TV show (DS, Lost) I tend to be more interested in the supporting than the main characters (female or male).  Perhaps it's because the central characters are overexposed or because their personalities tend to become too fixed after a time while the peripheral players remain more mysterious.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Raises hand.  I have much the same reaction a lot of the time.  I've always put it down to overkill.  When any one character becomes the be all and end all of any series I have this bad tendency to kneejerk the other way.

My first fandom was Trek:  Kirk was supposed to be the hero, Spock was the breakout secondary character.  I liked McCoy and Spock's father, Sarek, the best.  Same with many other fandoms over time, especially Star Wars.  Luke was the hero, the one all the publicity materials focussed on -- Han was the scoundrel with the sarcastic sense of humor (similar type to Quentin come to think of it).  Same could be said of my other interests, like Babylon 5, Blakes 7 and The West Wing.  Forget the leads -- bring on the character actors!

I remember missing out on a number of fandoms because they had become SO popular that the  kneejerk reaction kicked in. And, nothing against Tom Selleck, but I got SOO sick of seeing his picture on every magazine in the world that I had less than no interest in seeing anything he was in.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 01:07:40 AM »
I liked McCoy and Spock's father, Sarek, the best.

OMG!  Me too!  McCoy was da shit!  And Sarek, well, I don't have a limited edition, signed pencil sketch of him on my wall for nothing!  ;)

Same with many other fandoms over time, especially Star Wars.  Luke was the hero, the one all the publicity materials focussed on -- Han was the scoundrel with the sarcastic sense of humor (similar type to Quentin come to think of it). 

Again, I totally agree, you can have your Luke, give me Han!  ;)

I remember missing out on a number of fandoms because they had become SO popular that the  kneejerk reaction kicked in.

I did this w/Bruce Springsteen.  In my high school, EVERYONE adored the Boss.  It wasn't until after I graduated and got away from those mindless drones that I started liking him again.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 03:52:20 PM »
In my note on this thread, I inexplicably failed to mention the fabulous John Karlen.  It goes without saying that I adore him, and I think watching him do his thing with his various characters is a GAS!  My favorite is the original 1967 Willie Loomis.  His characterization of the much different Parallel Time counterpart, Will, was truly fascinating.

G.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 04:12:57 PM »
  Same could be said of my other interests, like Babylon 5,

Another Babylon 5 fan!  I watched every epsiode of that show about 4 or 5 times, now it's been a few years since it's been on and I'm getting serious withdrawals - more DVD's to buy  ;D

As far as the secondary characters on Dark Shadows, I think I get maybe a little bored with the regulars and some interesting secondary characters are just what the doctor ordered to keep it interesting.  I especially enjoy some of the timelines where we don't see much of the regulars and other folks get to take center stage.  Nothing wrong with the main characters, I love 'em a lot, but still, a little change now and then is a good thing.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 11:40:47 PM »
I liked McCoy and Spock's father, Sarek, the best.

OMG!  Me too!  McCoy was da shit!  And Sarek, well, I don't have a limited edition, signed pencil sketch of him on my wall for nothing!  ;) 

That artwork of Sarek sounds cool.  Mark Lenard (rest his soul) -- boy does that bring back memories.  I was involved with his fanclub way back in the days when the dinosaurs roamed fandom.  Again, the kneejerk reaction.  I saw when I joined that the club had an outdated credit list, so I hauled my little teenage self down to the Lincoln Center Library of the Performing Arts and did a search -- the old fashioned, pre internet way.  Documented everything in this really cool scrapbook that I still have. [book2]

And (to keep this at least peripherally on topic) I am probably the only theater wonk who would really like to get their mitts on David Selby's Doctoral thesis on the history of the American Place Theater.  And Selby being the author is just the added bonus --pipe dream as I know it is,  I would REALLY like to read the work on the company, since Mark Lenard and so many of the Trek stock company of stars and guest stars worked with them in their NY theater days.

Same with many other fandoms over time, especially Star Wars.  Luke was the hero, the one all the publicity materials focussed on -- Han was the scoundrel with the sarcastic sense of humor (similar type to Quentin come to think of it).
Again, I totally agree, you can have your Luke, give me Han!  ;)

Han, Indy, Quentin: all in all Scoundrels DO have more fun! [suspicious_figure]   [egypt] [gramophone] [plasma]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 11:48:46 PM »
Another Babylon 5 fan!  I watched every epsiode of that show about 4 or 5 times, now it's been a few years since it's been on and I'm getting serious withdrawals - more DVD's to buy

Watch out for the sticker shock.  I got a couple Bab 5 seasons from Ebay and even ebay prices for used were super high.  The list price is a LOT higher than most other tv series -- comparable to DS and not near the hours of play time.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »
Watch out for the sticker shock.  I got a couple Bab 5 seasons from Ebay and even ebay prices for used were super high.  The list price is a LOT higher than most other tv series -- comparable to DS and not near the hours of play time.

Too true, same w/Trek!  What the hell is up w/it's $100 or more price tag?!  I'll just content myself w/my tapes thank you very much.  That's assinind to put that kind of price tag on the DVD's.  Didn't Roddenberry make enough money from the original series, all the TV sequels, all the motion pictures, not to mention all the MERCHANDISING!?   [deal2]  They could have put a more reasonable price on the DVD's!  Sheesh!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"