Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite Child  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite and Least Favorite Child
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »
I'll prepare myself for crucifixion; I've always liked Sarah about as much as Hallie Stokes.

You and me both.  I always wondered why that kid  delivered her  lines as tho she was shouting across a river. >:(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 05:43:17 PM »
I'll prepare myself for crucifixion; I've always liked Sarah about as much as Hallie Stokes.

You and me both.  I always wondered why that kid  delivered her  lines as tho she was shouting across a river. >:(

I agree that Sharon Smyth had about as much acting finesse as a turnip, but I thought her 'character' was sweet.  What bothered me most about her portrayal was her almost constant looks at the teleprompter.  She looked at it more than Frid, but unlike when he did it, it didn't LOOK like that's what he was doing.  He just looked like a guy caught in a lie who couldn't continue eye contact w/who he was speaking to.  She on the other hand would look RIGHT AT the viewer and it was very disconcerting.  I realize she was just a little kid, but come on!  David, Denise, Michael and yes, even David Jay, could at least get through their dialogue w/out looking at the camera to do it.  Having said all this though, Sharon Smyth is very nice.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »
Have always really liked David - and David Henesy was an amazing actor, IMO.  Esp. liked him when he was posessed by Count Petofi in the 1897 storyline.  Another fave is Amy Jennings - she was entirely believable, and fairly natural, considering.

I hate Hallie Stokes with white-hot passion, but not sure I really see her as a child.  Hell, if she'd been only a couple years older, the powers-that-used-to-be might've even hooked her up with Barnabas!  :-X
So, for least favorite child on DS, I'm going to have to go with Michael-the-Leviathan.  He was a right little sh*t!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
Agree that Sharon is lovely, sweet, and a great lady.  It was so cute when she appeared in a Cheep Productions video about ten years ago.

As for Sarah, I have to admit that I usually fast forward through her scenes.  Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

cheers, G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 09:21:57 PM »
It was so cute when she appeared in a Cheep Productions video about ten years ago.

I know the skit, Save Our Cemetary!  Funny as sh*t and her in her little 'Sarah' costume as a grown woman was too funny.  Love the part where, while she's leaning on a tombstone, she goes, "Cool!"  Can't remember what was going on at that point of the skit, maybe Barnabas was vamping someone?  ;)

But you know, their BEST skit ever was Barnabas Versus The Bed!  ;)  They filmed part of one in the summer of '97 at Seaview while we were all there.  Too bad it never got finished, it promised to be even funnier than BVTB!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 08:31:47 AM »
As for Sarah, I have to admit that I usually fast forward through her scenes.  Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Funny you should mention that.  Sharon Smyth is from the Philadelphia area and she has a strong Philly accent, so it always takes me out of the show when I hear her speak.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
I liked Sarah because she was a ghost. I've always found child ghosts eerie.

I think the girl who played Sarah must have been hired for her looks. She did have a surreal pre-raphaelite quality about her, with her long hair and dark serious eyes but ... I agree with the rest that she was the worst child actor on the show and literally stared at the prompter through most of her dialogue. The kid who played Davide Collins was just fine, bratty as most boys are, and believable as an aristocratic Collins. But my favorite was Chris Jennings little sister (forget her name).

edited by moderator

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 04:30:06 AM »
I think the girl who played Sarah must have been hired for her looks. She did have a surreal pre-raphaelite quality about her, with her long hair and dark serious eyes

I think you're right, she had a "look" about her and quite frankly, to me at least, she looked like she could actually be biologically linked to Jonathan/Barnabas.  They had the same exact, sad, puppy-dog eyes.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Diabolos

• await your judgement!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 04:51:55 AM »
Favorites: David Henesy(the second half of his portrayl of David gave everyone a run for their money acting-wise), Sharon Smyth (acted like a real child, not an actual actress), David Jay (loved the part when he said "It's my birthday. Carolyn's gonna be there. Wanna cahhhme?"), Kathy Cody (she's not all that bad, besides, Dad had a crush on her when he was 10). ^-^

Least Favorites: Denise Nickerson (voice like fingernails on a chalkboard), The creepy kid who played Micheal (evil) and Carolyn as an eight-year-old played by Lisa Ross (her objections to her father's pleas got old fast). :P 
TONIGHT MUST GO NOTHING WRONG!

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 08:58:04 PM »
I'm not too fond of children in my television shows - especially if it's a baby plot. I'm very thankful there were no baby plots carried out on DS.

What about Jenny and Quentin's twins? They were never shown (except as swaddled bundles), but they were definitely babies. I thought their storyline was fantastic, and probably would have been even better if they were able to get some actual footage with real babies.

Misa

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 01:48:24 AM »
I'm with Midnite on this one: the best "child" on Dark Shadows was Carl....hands down, no doubt about it......[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 04:02:47 AM »

Exactly. Amy Jennings does the same thing, I can hardly stand it  :P
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 02:35:42 PM »
Favorite Amy
least favorite tie:HALLIE (belonged as Greg's groovy chick girlfrend on Brady Bunch)
and Alexander(he needed to fall in a well)
least favorite props Jenny's babies they couldn't get better dolls those
were pretty lame  ;)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »
Amy was my fav.  I really missed Denise Nickerson almost as much as I missed TLATKLS when she left the show.

My least fav?  Hallie, of course.  She was Jan Brady gone mad.

Gerard

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »
My least fav?  Hallie, of course.  She was Jan Brady gone mad.

" Jan Brady gone mad" this is too funny.  Halle screaming " David! David! David!" instead of "Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!"  What a hoot.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer