Author Topic: Pre-Barnabas Episodes on DVD - UPDATE  (Read 7890 times)

ClaudeNorth

Pre-Barnabas Episodes on DVD - UPDATE
« on: April 30, 2006, 02:07:33 AM »
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5562

Interesting bit of information from TVShowsOnDVD.com.   ::)

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Barnabas Episodes on DVD - UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:13:03 AM »
Bah, I think that anyone who would spend $50 - $60 on a DVD set from ANY show would be a die-hard fan.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 02:13:38 AM »
Methinks they don't want people finding a better deal elsewhere. ::)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 02:42:18 AM »
Methinks a lot of people are gonna have it out with MPI at the Festival.  And why do we have to wait until February for the pre-Barnabas episodes, anyway?  It's a slap in the face to all DS fans.  Is MPI THAT worried that people aren't interested in the first ten months? How stupid!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 04:00:27 AM »
This sounds like the same nonsense they told us about the new Pilot only being shown at the 2005 Fest in LA.

Now, of course, it's going to be shown at the 2006 Fest.

They know that the die-hard fans are going to buy the early episodes.  Why do the faithful have to jump through hoops for the privilege of keeping this franchise alive?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »
If I were a betting man, I'd say from the language used in that report, and MPI's subsequent lack of specificity on the retail issue, I'd bet that the pre B eps eventually become available on DVD without having to join MPI's little club.  Probably all a matter of patience.

Petofi

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »
Okay, just called MPI and they said that what TVShowsonDVD has reported is wrong!  She DID say that MPI *may* release them to club members earlier than the general public as a sort of "thank you" for their loyalty etc...but that everyone else would definately be able to get them at Best Buy or through Amazon.com.  She didn't know however if they'd be available to *everyone* in February, or to the club members in February and everyone else later.  So, non-club members may have to wait until after February.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:06:59 PM »
Okay, just called MPI and they said that what TVShowsonDVD has reported is wrong!  She DID say that MPI *may* release them to club members earlier than the general public as a sort of "thank you" for their loyalty etc...but that everyone else would definately be able to get them at Best Buy or through Amazon.com.  She didn't know however if they'd be available to *everyone* in February, or to the club members in February and everyone else later.  So, non-club members may have to wait until after February.

I just got an official DS DVD club email from MPI that mentions the upcoming release of the pre-Barnabas episodes on DVD. It specifically mentions that they will *NOT* be available to non-club members...I hope that's not the case, but here's the entire paragraph FYI...

The Pre-Barnabas Episodes are Coming to DVD!

Look for an announcement in the coming weeks about the release of the pre-Barnabas episodes on DVD.  Details are still being finalized for the release, but DVD Club members will be the only people able to get these collections when they are released.

If you have any questions regarding your membership, please feel free to contact MPI via email at customerservice@mpimedia.com or by phone at 800.323.0442.

Thank you for your membership in the Dark Shadows DVD Club!

MPI Home Video

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:09:40 PM »
Thank you for sharing that with us, drwhotrades. And welcome to the forum.  :)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 05:04:35 AM »
And why do we have to wait until February for the pre-Barnabas episodes, anyway? 

I'm thinking they don't want competition with the November 2006 release of the 40th Anniversary DVD which is due in November, 2006.  September 2006 is the last DVD Set that will complete the ending of the show.  November is two months later and then February 2007 is three months after that.  Why three months is anyone's guess.

I suppose we could attempt a stink with the customer service e-mail.

A hearty welcome to you drwhotrades.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 03:30:52 PM »
I just got an official DS DVD club email from MPI that mentions the upcoming release of the pre-Barnabas episodes on DVD. It specifically mentions that they will *NOT* be available to non-club members...I hope that's not the case, but here's the entire paragraph FYI...

Called MPI again and that email is NOT well written according to the person I spoke to!  She said that they ARE going to release to the general public, but that they are PROBABLY going to let club members get it first to thank them for their years of loyalty to MPI.  As the email states, 'details are still being finalized' and they don't even have a specific date for when club members will get these DVD's but again, they will more than likely get it first, then the rest of us will get them later, like a month or two later.  So don't freak Shadowphiles, we will ALL get these DVD's eventually!   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »
Hi All-

I just wanted to drop a line to clarify the confusion about the release plans for the pre-Barnabas episodes.  The information in the e-mail to DVD Club members below is the correct information regarding the release plans for the series.

The information you received from our customer service representative was incorrect & they have been provided with the correct information.

Although final release details have not been completed, the tentative plan is to release these episodes in 6 collections with 35 episodes each plus all-new bonus material.  These collections will be made available exclusively to members of the DVD Club & they will not be available at retail outlets other than the DVD Club at this time.

An "official" announcement on the availability of these Collections should be coming in a few weeks.  Tentatively, we are hoping to have the first Collection available later this year for shipment to club members.

I hope this clears up any confusion & I apologize for the earlier miscommunications.  If you have any further questions about the series, I will do my best to answer them in this forum or through my email at webmaster@mpimedia.com.

Thanks,

MPI Marketing

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 04:51:06 PM »
Are they going to charge us an arm and a leg for these episodes- you'd think that after a while MPI would actually reduce the prices!  Don't they realize they're gonna alienate a lot of people with their current plans???

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
Just called MPI again and they are STILL saying that all fans WILL eventually get these DVD's and that the posting by MPI here if POORLY written!!   >:(  I've suggested to them that they may want to re-word another posting to ensure us all that we will all be able to purchase these DVD's eventually.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
Oh, good grief.  Why does this have to be so difficult?

Good luck to the fans who've been waiting so patiently for this DVD release.

G.